What to do with old car radiator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I now have the Neon's old radiator to dispose of. It has plastic tanks top & bottom, so is not all metal. Would the local scrap metals yard want it for anything? Seems like it shouldn't just go out in the normal trash pickup. Auto parts stores?
dunno.gif
Any ideas appreciated.

give it to the local mexican... theyll use it.

Seriously... some of those folks are ingenious in what they can do with stuff to make it work elsewhere!

JMH

We leave all sorts of strange scrap in our bin at work and they take 95 percent of it including radiators. Once the plastic is pried off it is a nice chunk of aluminum for the scrappers. Throw it in the scrap metal as is.

Well, we have no scrap metal bin, but there is a scrap metal yard less than 10 miles away. I'll probably drop it off there. Doubt anyone could do much with it, it had an invisible crack in the top of the top tank that had progressed to spewing large puddles of antifreeze when parked.

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
good thinking!!! so long as there is not too high a pressure drop...

There should be a GIANT pressure drop across the core ... all of those tiny channels.

Either way though, you'll get all of the heat from the rad or hair dryer unit.

Distillation, huh?
cool.gif
Yup, surely a quick rinse will get rid of almost 9 yrs worth of service, 192K miles with good ol' poisonous ethylene glycol antifreeze!
lol.gif

This radiator won't hold any pressure without repair- that's why I replaced it. If anyone in NE Texas wants it, let me know asap. Otherwise it goes to the scrap yard pdq.
wink.gif

Moonshine made using the old soldered brass and copper radiators would leach lead out of the solder. The modern plastic/aluminum could be safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back