Internet via 56K dialup improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) make sure your phone jack is fresh (free of green oxidation) and the line is connected the right way, no reverse polarity.

2) Make sure your modem has the latest firmware (well, anything you bought in the last 5 years)

3) Make sure you live close to the phone company's POTS.

4) Make sure you set your TCP/IP's MTU (maximum transfer unit, per IP packet) is matching up. I haven't done it in a while but it is in the 500 range instead of 1500 like ethernet.

5) If your ISP provide some "compression" tool to accelerate those graphics, use it.

6) Save up with your neighbor and share a broadband, cable modem, DSL, satalite, whatever.

Good luck.

how do you check the phoneline for correct polarity? does a voltmeter do it?

JMH

Your internet provider should have optional dial up numbers for your area.
This can make quite a difference in the speed.
You have to try a few, and make notes.

What do you look for with each different dialup number?... the kbps when you look at the connection details?

The highest I've seen a 56K connection run at is 50.2K -- most run down around 44K.

56K is unattainable.

The closer the connection is to 56K, generally, the less stable it is.

Yes, hover your cursor on the internet connection in the toolbar, and read out the Kbps to compare.
I'm usually at 45, with a bad day at 42.

quote:

Originally posted by PandaBear:
1) make sure your phone jack is fresh (free of green oxidation) and the line is connected the right way, no reverse polarity.

Polarity does not matter and has not mattered since Bell started using phones that have touch tone keypads which have a bridge diode arrangement to make them polarity insensitive. (Prior to that, hooking them up wrong prevented the touch tone pad from working).

What would matter much more is if you have two lines, make sure you're using twisted pair cable and make sure each line is on a separate pair. There have been some...."creative" interpretations of the color codes of twisted pair cable by people who don't know any better. Correct is:

Line 1

Red - blue/white
Green - white/blue

Line 2

Yellow - orange/white
Black - white/orange

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:
There have been some...."creative" interpretations of the color codes of twisted pair cable by people who don't know any better. Correct is:

Line 1

Red - blue/white
Green - white/blue

Line 2

Yellow - orange/white
Black - white/orange

Man, Now I need to re-wire my connections. I had no idea what the correct colors were, so I just made them the same on every connection.

If most are around 44K, then why do all my computers limit transfer speeds to 4-8 kbps when I'm downloading off the internet?

When modems talk about being 56k...they mean kilobits. When dowloading through I.E.; it reports it as kilobytes unless you're going terribly slow.

So a 44kilobit connection will probably leave you downloading around 5.5kbytes/sec.

Most (probably any that are 10 years or newer) will drop back connection speed if the line quality drops (and won't let you know about it.) They also won't go back up in speed unless you re-connect IIRC.

Transfer speed are usually displayed in two different units: kilobits per second (kbps or Kb/s) and kilobytes per second( KB/s).

There are 8 bits per byte. So a download speed of 44 KB/s is the same as saying 5.5 kbps (44 divided by 8).

Virtuoso, you beat me
wink.gif

Around here, most of the plastic bags over the broken outdoor junction boxes have fallen apart, and the rain gets in. Make sure you have a good supply of fresh plastic bags.

Umm this is Australia. We have the best telecomms network on the planet Telstra (thats what a govt controlled monopoly gives you). Currently run by an American Sol Trujilo (newish in the job) he doesn't have to battle with the multiple Telco's the U.S has. Not the cheapest but definitely the best. Their monopoly is being eroded which is good I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back