How many passwords do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have WAY too many to keep track of. I have plenty of accounts I've forgotten about. I stumble over one of them occassionally when I go to sign up again and it tells me I've already signed up. It's insane.

Hmmm, now that's a decent business idea. I wonder if one could gather widespread support for a central user ID database, good for all web sites with maybe a very quick registration. It would be a ripe target for hackers, but it would make things a lot more convenient for most users. Nah, Microsoft already tried that with "Passport" and how many non-MS sites do you know of that require a Passport sign in. Perhaps a company with a better security reputation could pull it off, though.

Geesh, doing government work, you need passwords out the yeng-yang just to get into any military website, then you have to change it every 90 days or you will be kicked out and have to go in front of you-know-who to get a new one. Put it this way, I use dayplanners, the 5.5 by 8.5 inch desk type. I have 4 pages filled front and back of nothing but passwords and pins.

I work for the canadian Department of environment and we also need new passwords every 3 months for some of the applications we work with.

Of course we can use the same password for message boards and stuff, for example, but some won't allow you to use your favorite ones. I am member of 7 car related boards.
pat.gif

I usually keep a sheet in my dayplanner and in my computer that I update (try to) with each change.

Probably 5 or 6 for work. We change passwords every 42 days and they must be complex.

For home? Probably 6 or 8. All are very complex and can't be guessed.

I do have the ones for home written down. They're stored in the floor safe hidden in the basement.

Where do you live?

We wrote all ours down. Then we lost the paper.

Mine at work are ok because I only need to know 9.

Home is a pain, but I like the Firefox features. Something like JJ Clownarama I just keep it simple. Who cares if someone figures out my pass word is Groucho Marx? What will they do? Break in and post for him?

How many passwords do you have for everything you use and how do you keep track of them all?
spaz.gif

-All the computers and applications you use, at home and at work?

-Access to your bank accounts and the like?

Etc. etc...
gr_stretch.gif

And to make things worse, many have to be changed on a regular basis with different groups of letters and numbers.

I've got probably a dozen, but they're really just a variation of one particular password. Anyone know of good, free software that can remember passwords for different websites and enter them in for you?

There are USB thumbprint readers that connect to password remembering software. Also jump drives that one can keep on their keychains.

The need for "complex" passwords, typically including a digit with the letters, nicely compliments places that make me change mine periodically. That digit just gets incremented.

all of my passwords are different but yet they are all the same. the part that is different has to do with the name of the website, the part that is the same is the extra password added to the end.
I.E.
bitog12bosco
all passwords would end in 12bosco
it gives you a decent strength password that is unique to each site but is a formula that lets you remember all of your passwords easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back