Oven Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.
An oven door that opens sideways (or from the top down) seems to be preferable in that scenario. A door that opens from the bottom up might be easy for a person to initially open, but they would then have to reach a long way up from their wheelchair to close it. They would also have to be completely off to one side of the oven to open it so that they/their wheelchair would not block the door. (Not fun trying to dodge the door as it opens up!) Here's some reading:

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/maho/gemare/gemare_013.cfm

http://appliances.bobvila.com/Article/334.html

http://www.cs.wright.edu/bie/rehabengr/kitchens/fintro.htm

I would think that a door that opens "up" would eliminate the "broil" feature on the oven as you're supposed to crack the door when broiling. Or is this just an old wives' tale?

quote:

Originally posted by wantin150:
...you're supposed to crack the door when broiling. Or is this just an old wives' tale?

I only open the door to check on the broiling status. Been broiling for years without it cracked...

If you're broiling something just to put a crust on it, you should keep the door cracked so as to keep an eye on the food. The transition between carmelized and burnt can be pretty quick under a broiler.

Also, am I reading your post correctly? Are you talking about top hinged doors (like I assumed), or something that opens more like a sliding door on a minivan?

quote:

Originally posted by johnsmith:
Also, am I reading your post correctly? Are you talking about top hinged doors (like I assumed), or something that opens more like a sliding door on a minivan?

It's more like a sliding door on a minivan, but up instead of sideways. Not like a garage door that flips out and up.

I've seen them in old television shows, but can't seem to find one available on modern wall ovens.

A couple keywords you might try are "accessible" or "universal design", as in "accessible wall oven". I found that Frigidaire makes a side swinging door on one of their wall oven models. There were no mentions of the type of door you describe. In most cases, the articles mentioned using a standard wall mounted oven, placed at a height that allows the door to open fully when a person in a wheelchair has their legs beneath it. I'm not sure I'd want to trust a door that swung upwards myself. The springs would wear out over time and the door could become a hazard. Also, a couple sites mentioned the need for a shelf between the oven and your legs so if something spills, it won't burn you. A conventional oven would be best suited for this purpose.

quote:

The springs would wear out over time and the door could become a hazard.

Cooked with your own goose!
lol.gif
I can picture myself going to take something out of the oven, and having the door come down on the back of my head, forcing my lifeless body into the coils. Maybe you can't buy these for a reason...

Question. Pardon the highjacked thread if it is one. I have a traditional oven/broiler (oven on top, broiler below, top down hinges on both, stand alone appliance, maybe eight years old), propane fuel. The hinges are very difficult to open/close for the oven/broiler doors. Any suggestions for easier opening/closing of the top and bottom doors? I guess the question is what can be done lubrication wise or otherwise for sticking oven/broiler doors when cooking heat prevents relying on the usual products?

My father in law is planning to build his retirement home and we were discussing some options-looking toward the future.

One of the things he wants to do is design the kitchen with an eye toward the future when/if he might be handicapped and possibly in a wheelchair. We were discussing wall oven doors and I realized that I had not seen the type of oven door that lifts up for several years.

I'm talking about the type that kind of pulls out, then lifts straight up. For a handicapped person this might be ideal. Does anyone know if this style of wall oven door is still made? Rather than swing out into the room it sort of lifts up and hugs the wall above the oven?

I've searched but only find references to drop down and swing style doors-not the lift up door. I'm probably not using the right search criteria but I'm not sure what to call it.

LOL! I know exactly what you're talking about. My family has an old hunting cabin, and we have a propane stove (runs off a tank) just like that. It's my favorite place in the world to cook. The hinges on the oven sure are a PITA to open and close, which is probably exacerbated by the fact that ours is maybe from the 40s or 50s. I love that warm propane-ish smell when it's on (that's probably not good for you I guess). Does yours have one of those griddle things in the middle too?

Anywho, I don't think there's much you can do; it's just the way they're built. All the squeaking and grinding sounds kind of cool to me. Maybe something like anti-seize would stand up to the heat, but I don't think I would want that "cooking" along with the rest of my food.

Griddle in the middle to be sure. The stove is my wife's therapy as she is a terrific cook and baker but the doors are becoming so difficult to open/close it has become a literal pain for her. Maybe I'll check with a local appliance repair store for suggestions. Stove-Rx? I think she's angling for a new one.
wink.gif
We rely on an outside tank, too. No local gas via pipes and electric stoves just won't do for her. The gas delivery guy just did a required system pressure check. Apparently propane can be a tad explosive at times. He told me a few horror stories involving undetected leaks and light switches. Yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back