Maybe it'll buff out.

-

-

-

-

-

Side air bags of no assistance?

I assume two things:

White sheet cover body parts and alcohol was involved.

Can we have more details, because I don't want this to turn into an Audi thread.

I've always said that a tree is the last dam#ed thing you ever want to hit. It would seem almost anything else is preferable, even a concrete barrier would have been better in this case. Wow!

This is relatively old news that has circled around the internet a whole lot about 2 years back.

More pics here:
http://www.uselessjunk.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=666&mode=flat&order=0&thold=-1

Quick translation from a Portugese newsbit:

"Two men, of 27 and 21 years, died yesterday after a long suffering accident when they tried to over pass cars, on a forest road, in Maceda, Ovar. The accident only involved the victims of the vehicle. The accident occurred about 7h30, close to a Portuguese Air Force Base in that region. "When we arrived to the location there was nothing we could do because the victims did not have vital signs. The impact would have been, probably, very violent due to the state of the car", informed the Firemen of Esmoriz. After the investigation, the bodies were transported by the firemen to the morgue of the Hospital of Saint Maria from the Fair. "

My biggest question is - How did they avoid all the other trees between the road and the one they hit?

Edit - ignore, I took a better look and saw that the initial impact was just off the road.

The article accompanying the photos says they were trying to "over pass cars". This would indicate the driver lost control while attempting to pass slower moving traffic, left the roadway and struck the tree. Kind of rules out suicide. Alcohol by itself cannot be the primary cause of a crash. The action of the driver,i.e. improper passing, speed too fast etc. is the primary cause.Alcohol impaired judgement may have caused the driver to choose to drive too fast or pass on adouble yellow but it was the action of the driver and not the alcohol itself that caused the crash.

Pablo, modern occupant protection systems won't allow the airbags to fire if it senses the seatbelts aren't in use.It's not unusual to see very severe impacts with unrestrained drivers/occupants and no airbag deployment.

I think this was a police/rescue training drill of some sort. Either that or as part of some type of anti-drunk driving campaign. There is no glass & no blood to be seen in any of the pics. Fishy

Ripping a car in two and separating the engine from its mountings takes a tremendous amount of energy. Most of the energy that wasn't consumed by that would have been absorbed by the tree, so there wouldn't have been a lot of kinetic energy left for the car to travel very far.

quote:

Originally posted by farrarfan1:
Pablo, modern occupant protection systems won't allow the airbags to fire if it senses the seatbelts aren't in use.It's not unusual to see very severe impacts with unrestrained drivers/occupants and no airbag deployment.

This doesn't make sense to me. Why would they engineer a car this way?

Pablo, Which one? Car or human?
grin.gif

Of course, I've already answered the car part. On the human part, I'd point out that the people would have been thrown from the point of impact, not the point where the car ended up. The bodies were a decent distance from that tree.

Actually, strike that, I just looked again. They are awfully close to the tree, aren't they? Still, I highly doubt any law enforcement agency would attempt to stage something like this. There's too much risk and too much chance of the car hitting in such a way as to result in an outcome where the car remains in one piece.

Matt nailed it on the kinetic energy.Pablo I figured you were but notice they didn't fire. Neither did the steering wheel mounted or the passenger side glove box one.

Wayne it would be safe to assume they died immediately from blunt force trauma and were ejected as the 2 halves moved to final rest.Not unusual to see very little or no blood.I've seen it countless times.

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:

quote:

Originally posted by farrarfan1:

This doesn't make sense to me. Why would they engineer a car this way?

That was one way to deal with unrestrained occupants (small kids, elderly people)from being injured by airbags.They sense body weight,position,seat belt use,severity and type of crash to determine when and if to fire and at what speed.

A very tragic and powerful picture of devastation.

Where was the guy who crashed the ENZO Ferrari, in Malibu, a short time ago? Erikksen? Or was a guy named Dietrich, driving again? Looks like their work.
crushedcar.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back