Used oil filters-How to dispose of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know they can't go in the trash so do you bring them to the oil recycler?Thanks Joe
grin.gif

Your friendly neighborhood Walmart will take them along with your used oil. I have given Walmart lots of used oil and filters, but to this day, have still not purchased a single item from them.
grin.gif

Draining a filter still leaves a lot of oil in the filter. I don't think it's supposed to go in the trash. Your county or city should have a hazardous waste place to take it to though. Otherwise some oil recycling places may take them.

I cut mine open for inspection which gets 99% of the oil out then toss into the big trash can.

There is prob more oil in the rags that I use to wipe all the oil out of my drainpan before I store it...

The local Lube places have a crusher that they put the filters into that gets the oil out then toss into the trash.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

"they" say if you puncture the domed end you'll get more oil out. Then toss the remainder in the trash. I have also pried open the ADBV and dribbled more oil out of the things.

My trash goes to an incinerator anyway, so a little oil will do no harm.

I burn mine in my tree limb pile. Always picking up fallen tree limbs. So when I burn the limbs I burn the used Frantz bypass filters and the Full Flow Cannisters. Then I throw the metal shell in the trash.

[ March 19, 2006, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

I drill the dome end, let drain, often until the next oil change, and then recycle with the tin cans. Many I cut open first.

quote:

Originally posted by GoldenRod:
Your friendly neighborhood Walmart will take them along with your used oil. I have given Walmart lots of used oil and filters, but to this day, have still not purchased a single item from them.
grin.gif

Only Walmarts with an auto service center will take them, correct? The closest Walmart to me does NOT have an auto center, but the one about 10 miles further does.

DaveInLA:

I'm not going to tell you to drive 10 miles to dispose of an oil filter. I think the main thing they want (various government agencies) is for you to drain the filter for 24 hours. At least that's what I was told when I worked at a Toyota dealership.
smile.gif

[ March 20, 2006, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: GoldenRod ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back