What thread is used on most motor oil bottles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thread on most motor oil bottlenecks is about 3/4"(or 19mm) in diameter, but it doesn't match either 3/4" pipe or 3/4" garden hose. Does anyone know just what thread it is?
dunno.gif
Maybe something like 3/4" or 19mm "soda pop"?
grin.gif

I can't believe I just tried this... a 2 liter coke cap threads right on there (tried on Havoline quart and and old Valvoline quart)....

Now to finish that soda
wink.gif

Thanks for all replies. Yup, I already knew that a Coke cap would fit an oil bottle, that 3/4 pipe & 3/4 garden hose wouldn't, and that 3/4 pipe & 3/4 garden hose were different. But- I repeat, does anyone know just what that soda pop/oil bottle thread is?
grin.gif

""A bit of digging suggests Garden Hose Thread has its own designation. Who knew?""
It might have it's own designation, but it will screw right on to a 3/4" nipple. I know the pipe thread is tapered but it works......this might start a discussion similar to the smouldering Amsoil A1/B1 & A3/B3 debate. "Is it Is or Is it Ain't" the same ??
P.B.

I believe Stuart is asking for the exact thread pitch. Of course this would be straight threads and not pipe threads.
rolleyes.gif

Stuart, you got me on a mission. I'm going to find the bottle mfg and get the thread pitch; then I will configure a bottle connection device.
smile.gif

We're trying to find a way to screw the bottles together without having oil fly all over the place.

Maxwell House commercial--------> "Good to the last drop"
smile.gif

redneck way would be to hot glue two oil bottle caps together then drill a hole in the middle. Your glue job would have to be perfect to prevent any leaks.

Note how the threads of the caps are triangluated. They just jam them on at the bottling plant.

Uh, oh, it seems like an opportunity to bring out my pic of...

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back