David Gilmour's new Album....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody bought/heard the new album by Gilmour, "on an island"?
I listened to a short program on npr radio on the new album, and it seems highly rated, but I only heard part of one song (the first radio release title track)...the guitar playing sounded great..couldn't say the same for lyrics/singing though...
but most of the time, the best songs of an album are the ones that don't get released to radio, i know that from experience.

if anybody has heard other songs from his album, I'd love to know what you thought of it.

I haven't heard it, but I've read some reviews. Some things familiar, some things not. Lyrics are quite toned down. Probably put that on my amazon.com wish list before long. But like you, I'd like to hear a few clips first. Wonder if Rush is going to ever tour again??

Canadian bands...gotta love 'em.
canada.gif

P.B.

ATTENTION David Gilmour fans!

If you get the VH-1 Classic channel, then tune in this coming Sunday at 2:00 p.m. EDT or on Monday at 2:00 a.m. EDT to the program listed as Pink Floyd Video Block.

It's an hour long and if you're a fan of Pink Floyd you've probably already seen the videos, but the final song is one from Gilmour's new album.

Rush will probably tour after their next album which is tentatively scheduled for late this year early next.

I didn't "get" any Pink Floyd or Gilmour until a few years ago. There simply wasn't enough drumming on the album to keep my interest in it. Although watching the Laser Light show at Trinity college to only Pink Floyd was quite cool.
smile.gif

Toyota, a new guy in our group at work is a good jazz drummer. I didn't realize that Vinnie Colaiuta is on the latest Megadeath albulm (The System has Failed). I'm not a metal fan other than some Dream Theater but I just might have to pick this up being Vinny is on it.
smile.gif

You can hear Real Audio snippets of all the songs here:
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7031618&style=music&cart=317561413&BAB=M

or here:
http://www.deepdiscountcd.com/index.cfm?request=cd.cfm?upc=828768028025

Although they're most likely too short to get a good idea of the album.

I've heard the album, but I'm not a big Gilmour fan, so maybe I'm not as enthusiastic about it as others would have been. The first few tracks (1-3) have some decent guitar work in them. Track 5 has an OK saxophone. The rest just put me to sleep.

Yeah, I figured that, Tim.
smile.gif

Personally, I'm more of a Waters fan, although his last opera-like creation (Ca Ira) was a big disappointment to me. The guy hasn't come up with anything good since 1992 (Amused to Death).

For those liking a bit faster guitar, also check out Joe Satriani's new album - "Super Colossal".

hmm...I'm a big Gilmour fan, and all things-Pink Floyd fan, but I must admit, apart from his great guitar playing, the rest kinda dissapoints me in this new album (although I haven't heard it "fully" yet)...I thought lyrics in "a momentary lapse of reason" and "division bell" (despite influenze of Polly Samson) were better than in this new album...why did he have to get "help" from Polly? He's capable of writing great lyrics by himself..perhaps everyone has a limit.
Interesting is that Gilmour plays soem great Saxophone on this new album..how many things can this guy play? In division Bell he played fretless bass!

QP: I have "amused to death" too, and like it. (Jeff Beck played guitar on it)
Suddenly...I have an urge to listen to the " The Final Cut" !

(I also think -although little known- Adam Jones of Tool is a great guitarist)

Not much of a Waters fan, but I do like 'Final cut' alot, I Did however, immensely like 'Division bell'. Sounds like I would have to download or borrow a copy and listen to this first before buying it..

Just listened to the album.

The voice is pretty weak on the whole album, but I guess Gilmour was going for a softer sound, dare I say it, an old guy sound.

He still has the incredibly expressive guitar playing, especially the string bends. Right up there with Jeff Beck and Mark Knopfler in that regard. He still doesn't use much vibrato, for that I listen to Robin Trower. The first single is one of the tracks that has the Pink Floyd sound, and there are others.

I'm a huge Floyd fan and Gilmour fan so it's all good. If I had to describe the overall sound, it's mostly Gilmour/Floyd and K.D. Lang rolled into one, with a few songs that break the mold. Very melodic and smooth vocals, with wicked guitar playing.

Now, let's get back back to learning Pink Floyd / Money on my guitar
smile.gif
I have about 90% of the long solo done, and all the rhythm parts done. My son is learning the drum part and my daughter is learning the sax part. Now that's entertainment.

QP,

Thanks for the link; yeah, it was only released in UK, looks like. I had the VHS (PAL) in Germany, and it's a GREAT concert...hard to describe HOW great it is! I have the double-CD, and the playing and singing is probably the best I've ever heard from Gilmour! I saw the VCD of this in Germany, and when I checked to today on Amazon Germany site, it didn't come up either
frown.gif
(do VCD's also have region codes??)

here's what a UK reviewer had to say:
"...If you're a Yankee who's dissapointed and baffled by this never having been released in NTSC format, there is hope. First, the viewer can watch this on a DVD ROM equipped PC. Don't want to sit down at your computer and watch a live concert for 91 minutes? With Nero software, the files can be converted into NTSC format while burning the concert onto a DVD+R. If this sounds too techy, the American viewer will have to stick with the VHS version..."

I'll get it someday, when I pocess a multi-region dvd player. I know I can play it on my wife's laptop, but you can change the region code only 5 times on that thing...so don't want to mess with it. (don't have a dvd-burner right now, otherwise could've burned and converted to ntsc!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back