Billionaire Paul Allen drives an '88 Mazda B-Series Truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if he's a DIY'er.

Rich folk are funny that way. I work in an office building that houses a real estate company. The owner of that company is a multi-multi-millionaire. BUT, when something (even the toilets) in the office needs fixing, it's the millionaire down on his hands & knees fixing the toilet.

Moral: You don't get rich by spending money.

I have a couple of friends with rich rich parents. One of them drove a 1985 Volvo Station wagon. Another friends parents drove a 1988 Chevy Pickup ......

Oh my goodness, i just saw all the ten... none of them drive expensive cars except two of them!!

[ March 10, 2006, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Korean_redneck ]

Those kind of millionaires, well, you got to respect that. Down to earth and common sense. Why pay someone to do it if you can do it yourself? I bet they didn't start life rich and still use their common sense. Plus, why would you want to attract attention to yourself? I'd probably be the same way if I ever got rich.

a real good friend of mile is a milti millionaire and drives an old 80's nissan maxima with a bad wheel bearing. he has never bought a new vehicle in his life. if you seen the guy you would almost think he is homeless by the poor condition of his clothing. he shoppes for clothes at salvation army or other similar type stores. he also buys things used at pawn shops instead of new things.

he told me once that the rich dont get rich by spending money. you have to save money to have money.

Time is money biatches. When I become a millionaire (I'm almost there), I'll be off saving the world every waking hour of the day. I won't have time for nonsense like fixing toilets; I'll have my slav...er...friends fix them for me! They do so enjoy things like that anyway; it's like my gift to them. And common sense, as they say, is the collection of prejudices acquired by age 18.

My family doctor (best guy ever) drives a Honda Civic. And truth be told, I've painted and roofed enough rich folks' houses to know that most of them are very polite, and honestly don't have the time and/or the ability to do it, so they hire someone else to do it for them (usually a talented, small, local business at that). Most of them aren’t shy about tipping either. It is kind of refreshing to see someone well-rounded once in a while though, who isn't "beyond" everyone else to do a simple job themselves. I find the guys who really earned their spot (read: worked their way up) tend to be the ones who also appreciate the little things most.

Oh, and if Paul Allen has an old beater lying around, that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s an alright guy who makes a habit of only taking what he needs. It’s probably more like a “rosebud” thing for him or something. Case in point: his 413 ft. yacht. And ACiD, I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but your friend is actually insane, not frugal. He needs to begin treatment immediately.

[ March 10, 2006, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: stringsattached ]

quote:

Founder of the Swedish furniture and home goods company IKEA, Ingvar Kamprad is the proud owner of a 13-year-old Volvo 240 GL. Though he may own a Volvo, Kamprad still takes the bus and even uses his pensioners’ discount card, as he explained in a rare 1999 interview.

Worth $23 Billion

bwahahaha

also read about bill gates' 88' 959... apparently they were not crash tested so his got impounded by customs in san fran, but i guess the DOT approves them on a case by case basis so he probably got it back... there was an article in autoweek that talked bout him wanting to buy a couple more just to have them crash tested so he could have his... nice, for a car where only 200 exist in the world.

[ March 10, 2006, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Pontius Pilate ]

John D. Hollingworth died several years ago and left an estate of $14M and a trust estimated at $275M. He drove an old pickup truck and lived in an old trailer behind his plant. Dresssed like an old country boy, even in big meetings. I know Buck Welling, the executor, and his trust will do much good in the community.

If you click the link and read, notice: "accrued vacation pay receivable -- $36,541." Never took much of a vacation either.

JD Hollingsworth Estate

Yeah, such a down to earth guy who owns for a private jet a 757!

Not one of those little Learjets.
spaz.gif

Not a Gulfstream for 60 mill.
spaz.gif

A Boeing 757.

Pauls little jet

Click to see it..

oh, not one but TWO of them.... (have to have a spare...)
rolleyes.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

This reminds me of my grandfather, who is cheap, not frugal, flat out cheap. he drives a '96 olds cierra and has lived in the same old farm house that still needs to be painted for the last 45 years. he's also worth about $5 million. it's all in your priorities I guess.

Hugh McColl, former Bank of America CEO and the man who made Charlotte what it is today drove an 80's nissan pickup truck for ages until somebody stole it.

I accidently had lunch with the guy one day(he literally sat down at my table after he heard me helping with some computer issues. Cowboy boots, hat and all...now that's a down to earth multimillionaire.

There is something to be said about people who live a reasonable way of life (driving old cars, buying older used stuff, etc), in order to save $$$, and then extend that way of life that theyre happy with into their existance after becoming super-rich.

However, some folks scrimp and save and live super low cost lifestyles for the purpose of amassing riches for what??? If youre not going to spend some money, and are going to look like youre homeless, than whats the point? To live high end lifestyles in retirement?

I never could much understand the lengths some go for the purpose of saving money, just for the sake of saving it.

Youve got to be rich to afford to act like youre poor. Otherwise, you need to live reasonably and responsibly, but find a happy medium to enjoy your life, IMO.

JMH

some of the cheap skates like my rich friend (whos name is coincidently rich) ENJOY being cheap. to him it is a game of "how cheap can i live". he doesnt want a new car, or a nice house, or nice clothes. he doesnt need to impress anyone. this guy has millions in the bank and shoppes at thrift stores and eats mcdonalds cheeseburgers with a cup of water because the cheese burgers only cost $1 and the water is free.

the point of living cheap is because they must enjoy it. i honestly cant think of any other reason why someone would want to be like that. seriously, they must get some kind of pleasure out of it.

Many, many folks with money have it for a reason: they don't waste it on frivolous things.

Allen's vehicles are sourced via DMV record. I betcha Microsoft (or any number of his other businesses) leases/owns cars for him, that he drives so are technically "his".

For tax reasons it's often beneficial to have your company hold the lease/purchase for a car that you drive.

Just like there are plenty of folks who spend waaay too much and live on credit, there are a (probably smaller) number of folks who enjoy being frugal to the point of stupidity. I fail to see the point of having millions in the bank if you decline to experience life. By all means, save to allow yourself a comfortable life, but that money doesn't do you any good if it just sits somewhere until you die. Money is an enabler, not an end in and of itself. (IMHO)

Rich folks who don't spend their money end up investing it somehow, which gives other people opportunities to life better. The ones who hoard tons of gold coins and stuff like that are a bit out there, though.

Those type of people have class. Class is something you can't buy. If you have class you don't have to flaunt your money.

Some people think just because you are rich (or look and act rich) you have class. Bling is not class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back