Carquest Red (Wix) R85372 C&P, 3500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Carquest Red (Wix made, same as O'Reilly Microgard, Walmart Supertech, and NAPA Pro-Select filter) from my brother-in-laws '04 F150 5.4.
159,500 miles on the truck, 3500 miles (7 months) on the filter, used 6 qts Castrol GTX Syn-Blend and 1 qt PP, all 5w-20. 1 qt makeup oil during this time.
Here is the Purepro filter from the last change with a little history on the truck.

Yup, a R85372:

and Affina made:

Baseplate:

Inside:

Centertube (nice spiral holes there):

Combo valve:

Other side of combo valve (a little stiff, but very pliable)

Metal crimp, solid from one side to the other.

And no pics of media spacing, I just flaked out and forgot to take them, but as is normal for Wix, nice even spacing all around (you can kind of see it in the last 2 pics).

Here is a Fram made model just for comparison. These filters are now made by Purolator, I don't have any of those.

And just FYI, I put on a Bosch Distance Plus Filter and used 6 qts of 5w-20 Castrol GTX Syn-Blend/ 1 qt Castrol Magnatec.

And as you can probably see from the pic from inside the can, it does not look great.

Lots of "stuff" in the can:

Lots of silver and brass looking stuff in the pan (pan was clean when oil drained, this is all from what was in the filter)

Looks like some carbon buildup as well as some silver slivers (and I am sure brass/copper that can't be seen) throughout the media:

I don't think this bodes well for the truck. Not sure if this is a timing chain issue or a bearing issue or ???

If you read the previous post, you can see there were some issues, and I was hoping that this oil change would look better, but I think it is worse.
Truck needs $500 is front end parts (Quick struts, lower ball joints, upper control arm, tie rod ends) as well as the center driveshaft bearing and I think the slip yoke "clunk" these trucks are known for (no idea on the cost of those 2). Now with this, not sure if it is just a timing chain, phaser, VCT solenoid repair (still around $1,500) or if it is more than that.

This is not a Ford or a filter problem. This is a problem of using 5w-20 oil problem. This what happens when you think that you have to get that last .001 % of gas mileage with thin oils.

Thank you for the C&P.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back