Did you resolve to do something with your dog?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With somebody the right age in the family, 4-H dog training is a great idea.
In my area, clubs form soon after the first of the year. Even many urban
areas have 4-H. For info look in your phone book under government listings
for extension or cooperative extension offices. Ask specificlly about a dog
or canine club. The dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a
pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much
easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn
to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience
class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands a treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/. I see establishing yourself as top dog as the first step in correcting behavior.

No kids? Try the rent an urchin program. My youngest is old enough now she just passed her Professional Engineer exam. On the other hand, my Sheba took first place at the state fair in her class.

Labman,
I have owned 2 dogs (Sheltie and a Greyhound-Lab mix)and never gave much thought about the "pack mentality" of these creatures. Just recently saw an episode of the Dog Whisperer and was amazed at what that man does with difficult breeds (Pit-bull).There is a lot to learn out there for any potential dog owner as they have many needs that should be met. I just researched Siberian Huskies as that is the size and temperament I am interested in, but "they" claim this breed needs to be walked at least 6 miles a day as they were bred to be a work dog. Owning one of these and doing right by the dog would certainly make for a fit owner also, a true WIN-WIN situation!

We started early with all the dogs we've ever had in establishing who was the "alpha wolf". It seems to work well-all of our dogs have (for the most part) been very well behaved and do what we tell them to do. We have some friends to have a golden retriever that has never been conditioned or trained-the dog is an absolute menace.

With two English Mastiff's in the house, I had to establish my role as pack leader from the word go.

We have a Borzoi, also known as a Russian Wolfhound, and they can be challenging as they're large, stubborn, but also pretty sensitive and evidently unforgiving. I've yelled at him very loudly while standing over him but have never hit him. He acknowledges me as the alpha and has turned out to have a very good disposition, pretty much minding as they're like mules, but also being a warm, close member of the family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back