Help me pick my next beater SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's come time for me to buy a used and cheap SUV. I'm trying to find something semi reliable(might be tough in my price range) which will be used mainly in the city as a daily driver and used to haul random stuff around on occasion (nothing overly heavy). Here are my 3 options:

92-95 Jeep Cherokee 180000-225000kms (112500-140000miles)
93-96 Ford Explorer 120000-180000kms (75000-112500 miles)
90-95 Nissan Pathfinder 190000-275000kms (118750-172000 miles)

I've ruled out a Jimmy or a Blazer as they seem to be rated very low in quality and in consumer ratings. I've also ruled out a 4 runner purely based on the ridiculous prices combined with even more ridiculous mileage. I will be getting a full mechanical inspection done and running VIN #'s on whatever I choose. I do realize finding a decently maintained vehicle of this age may be a chore, but I have time and I am prepared to wait for the right one.
So with that in mind, what does everyone else think about these particular choices? Anything I should avoid or look out for? Thanks for all opinions!

The Jeep XJ. Just from a pure design standpoint I like the I6 better as well as the solid front axle for durability if it's a 4x4.

Bryan's right, do you want 4x4?

Now, winter, would get you a good price for a 2-wheel drive-- and a lousy one for 4 wheels spinning.

Stay off the pathfinder, I am seeing a lot of 94-ish vintage scrapped, running, due to frame rot.

Around here explorer's resale prices are like GM stock; I bet you could get a lot for your money particularly with all their published and possibly overhyped fiascos.

It's definitely looking like the Explorer is going to give me the best value. I keep finding them with low mileage for low prices.
The Pathfinders I've looked at are all fighting with serious rust. (Doors, fenders, top of the window sills) I haven't found a Cherokee yet with anything more than some surface rust at the bottom of the rear fender where the back tires would kick up rocks.
I'm definitely leaning towards the Cherokee, but the prices are really inflated. I love the 4.0 engine, but alot of them, seem to need to have the radiators and water pumps replaced. It also looks like the rear axles are a week spot.
I've got some time tomorrow to look at a few so I'll see what I come up with.

I would suggest waiting for the right Cherokee. Our 96 has about 160K on it and is one of the most reliable vehicles around. Book values on ones that old are pretty low as well.

I'm curious how you determined that the rear axles are a weak point. I've not heard that before. And if you do find one that needs radiator/water pump replacement that's easy (and fairly cheap) to take care of. After all, you are looking for a "beater".

mightn't there be a reason why used Exploders are offered so cheaply?
grin.gif
The XJis a pretty rugged vehicle

My 96 doesn't have as many miles as michael80's (only 114K), but it's been very reliable for these past 9 years. Aside from maintenence, I've only replaced a faulty oxygen sensor, and it runs pretty much like it did when brand new.

Get the Exploder. Maybe it will burn down your house... I believe that most of them come with the spontaneous combustion option.

Another nice thing is that with a 4.0, an XJ has a serious power to weight advantage over that vintage Pathfinder, and the Explorer as well, I believe.Better gas mileage too.

Cherokee for sure. The 4.0 is a very long lasting engine that's very easy to work on. The radiator and WP's are a common problem but are very easy to fix yourself if your basic mechanically inclined. Most componets are pretty bulletproof. The C8.25 or D35 is only weak if you lock it and add larger tires and the loud pedal. Running to the mall and back I think he'll be fine.

lol.gif
I started scanning autotrader for Cherokees. There are some deals to be had if you are a patient shopper. I never had one but it is on my " I need a cheap dependable beater 4x4 " list. And I am a Toyota (dis)loyalist. Straight forward engineering and easy to replace parts.
pat.gif
it's a no brainer to me. To
128.gif
with DC for replacing it with the Liberty!!
mad.gif

quote:

Get the Exploder. Maybe it will burn down your house... I believe that most of them come with the spontaneous combustion option.

A 94 or newer Explorer will not have the faulty ignition switch. Only some 93 models did, and there was a recall so it should have been replaced.

I think it's amusing that nowhere on the http://www.flamingfords.info/affohome.html website do they actually talk about how to address the problem..replacing the switch is so simple that someone with two left thumbs could do it. EDIT: It's cheap, too, about $15.

Here's another vote for the Cherokee from a 2-time owner. Try to find a 96 if possible, with the Chrysler 8.25" rear diff (Look for a 'squared off' housing, as opposed to the round D35 housing).

The AW-4 automatic is bulletproof, as is the I-6 engine.

Well I put down a deposit on a 2000 Cherokee today. The guys asking just over dealer blackbook so I jumped on it. I know this takes me out of beater territory but I can't stand passing up good deals. I took it for a drive today and it runs great, shifts well, 4X4 works good, decent tires, and everything else works. So now the deal is pending a lien check and a full mechanical inspection.

Maybe too late but you should consider Mitsubishi. No one wants them so they are cheap, but they are very reliable trucks.

Welcome to the Cherokee Club (if it all checks out!).

Proven and easy to work on drivetrain with a motor that goes forever, what more can you ask for in a "beater"! Cooling is always a bit of an issue on these - airflow under the hood is not good and causes a lot of wear and tear on the system. Regular maintenance takes care of those problems though. Axles aren't an issue unless you go with bigger tires and thrash the thing!

Definitely from an era when the "utility" part of the equation still meant something!

Can I claim the elder cherokee status around here? My '88 XJ is currently sporting only 81,000 miles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back