GM Layoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm talking about things like oxygen sensors and power steering hoses; I can see how engine parts would differ from a VTEC to a non-VTEC version even if they fit.

It's true, the vast majority of Japanese cars are sold with the base engine. I believe that the situation is the exact opposite for domestic cars, by the way.

Finally, I've come to the conclusion that "Camry" must mean "slow and hesitant".

"My wife and I have owned a Subaru for four years. It's approaching 60K, and, to date, we haven't experienced a single problem with it. I can't say the same thing about any American car we've owned for a similar period."

About 70k miles with zero problems on a 93 Taurus. It's made up for it since then :^) but it's still running.

"I am sure they deserve to be #1 just like Fram and Windows"

"#1 at what most people want to buy, but that doesn't equate to #1 across the board. You don't see Japanese 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks towing big things / hauling heavy loads, and in our experience you don't see Japanese sedans with bench front seats taking the #1 spot, as they don't make either."

they are #1 because of quality, reliability, and economicality. Period. People got burned by 'American' cars of the late 70's mid 80's. crappy fuel mileage, engines that didnt last, people dont forget these things. If they did, GM would be right on top. Face teh fact, They are not, for the reasons posted above. If it werent true, they wouldnt be in the quandry they are in now. Go ahead, knock 'Asian' cars. But they sell for a reason. One that obviously, GM does not see. AS for trucks, they make them sized for what they were designed for. Everyday transportation with occasional hauling. What 99% of every truck-owning American does. especially the 4WD ones that never make it off the road. But while your driving your 3/4 ton Chevy to the worksite, look at the 'heavy machinery' at the job site. You will see mostly 'Asian' names....I guess thats because GM dont make them...

I don't think consumers are as "hateful" toward auto makers as you guys think. My family was first driving Japanese but gave domestic a try, same for my gf's family.

Quality wise I still think there is a gap, but with the heavy discount (my dad's 10 month old Taurus from Hertz for 13.5k, and my gf's dad's new Buick Regal for $25k out the door) it is worth the risk and the gap in quality.

They have minor problems, from tranny range sensor to EGR failure, to brown coolant and leaking roof, but all fixed under warranty (except their cheap rotor that do not stay in shape even after turning). It is not as troublefree as our Japanese from 5 years ago, but it is worth the saving.

I don't mind buying domestic, but they better be in heavy discount for me to consider, until they gain a reputation for being very very reliable.

brian I have no reason to make up stories. Its exactly as my customer explained to me. The second transmission that he replaced since he owned it. I could care less. Just like Uhaul will not rent him a trailer since its not their policy to rent trailers that will be towed with Explorers. You think he will buy another Ford? NOT!

Here is an interesting thread:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=002907

Or this one of another GM's famous coolant leaks:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=002901

You have to love it when manufacturers continually do the same thing over and over and expect different results. Isn't that called insanity?

This site is littered with GM, Ford and other domestic companies problem vehicles. Anyone with eyes can see it. If you don't see it then you are blinded FOOLISHLY by brand loyalty and are part of the problem that plagues them. If you have a hard time understanding that then I don't know what to tell you.

I'm sure you didn't make that story up. I can only wonder, however, what is missing from it.

As far as how much you supposedly don't care about it; you cared enough about it to tell it here.

"Go ahead, knock 'Asian' cars. But they sell for a reason. One that obviously, GM does not see. AS for trucks, they make them sized for what they were designed for. Everyday transportation with occasional hauling. What 99% of every truck-owning American does. especially the 4WD ones that never make it off the road. But while your driving your 3/4 ton Chevy to the worksite, look at the 'heavy machinery' at the job site. You will see mostly 'Asian' names....I guess thats because GM dont make them..."

As previousy mentioned we had a Civic, but it only lasted 120k miles. We looked at Accords and Camrys but ended up with two domestic sedans. When looking for a bigger vehicle we ended up with a Dodge diesel. A friend ended up buying one, and his father bought a full size Chevy with a gas engine. A coworker bought a Dodge diesel, one of his relatives did too, and another bought a Dodge with a gas engine. A neighbor bought a Dodge diesel, and another bought a full size Chevy with a gas engine. The only person I know who has bought a Japanese truck was one neighbor, not that there aren't a lot being sold. When we moved up here outside of the city it was pretty much Ford country regarding trucks, but Dodge has made big inroads. It's not GM country, but it also doesn't seem to be Japanese truck country.

With the light rear end and default rear wheel drive a 4wd comes in handy for winter conditions even if you never go off road. One thing worse than getting a 2000 lb car stuck is getting an 8000 lb truck stuck :^)

As a side note, the "two transmission" story probably wouldn't be unusual if it involved a Chrysler or a Dodge. As it is, I have the word of a 15-year mechanic that I trust (and who owns one) that the Explorer does not have transmission issues (barring abuse/neglect and all of that).

Quoted: "When we moved up here outside of the city it was pretty much Ford country regarding trucks, but Dodge has made big inroads. It's not GM country, but it also doesn't seem to be Japanese truck country."

I'll just let Amkeer's posting say it......
Quoted: "This site is littered with GM, Ford and other domestic companies problem vehicles. Anyone with eyes can see it. If you don't see it then you are blinded FOOLISHLY by brand loyalty and are part of the problem that plagues them. If you have a hard time understanding that then I don't know what to tell you."

Not to say that every GM, Ford, Dodge truck is junk, but the above quote does hold alot of weight.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/01/11/pf/autos/autoshow_asia_trucks/

Japan gets serious about fun trucks

When it comes to work trucks, Americans buy American. So the Raider and Ridgeline are made for play.

....Honda officials are also quick to concede the Ridgeline isn't likely to be a professional contractor's pickup truck. Built on the same platform as the company's larger SUVs such as the Pilot and the Acura MDX, the truck is considered midsize but looks much smaller than even its SUV cousins, let alone competing midsize pickups. But it's the largest pickup Honda has any plans to offer, according to spokeswoman Sara Pines.

"We're looking at a type of person who has weekend needs of a pickup," said Pines. "It might not be doing heavy-duty construction needs every day. But it can tow 5,000 pounds, and it has half-ton cargo capacity. Still the most distinctive feature is the lockable trunk found underneath the bed near the rear of the truck.

....Toyota, which showed a full-size pickup concept vehicle at last year's auto show, is in the process of building a new plant in Texas to build full-size pickups, so Nissan won't be the only Japanese automaker in this market for long. But with 2.5 million full-size pickups sold in the United States last year, it'll be a while before any import has more than a fraction of that market, Standish concedes.

" look at the 'heavy machinery' at the job site. You will see mostly 'Asian' names...."

the names I see at work are always the same 2... Caterpillar and Volvo.. rarely do I see a Komatsu, daihatsu, Kobelco or hyundai.

Bret,

All we see here in Florida with our massive construction the past 20 years is Komatsu.

That being said most of the machinery used to produce wood products is Austria, Taiwan and Italy. Europe and Asia are WAY ahead of us.

GM automatics in general seem to have a very good reputation.

It's common for engine computers to retard spark timing between shifts to maximize transmission life.

This is even done with manual transmissions: some Ford vehicles (specifically the 94-95 Mustang 5.0, but I would not be surprised if all of them since about 94 do it) with manual transmissions do this too since the computer knows when the clutch was pushed in. (Installing an 87-93 Mustang 5.0 computer in a 94-95 Mustang gets rid of this "feature".)

quote:

GM automatics in general seem to have a very good reputation.

Agreed.

It wasn't too long ago that GM autoboxes were used in such esteemed autos as BMWs, Rolls-Royce/Bentley, and other such high-end vehicles.

There have been some particular models that had known problems, but for the most part they've had good reps.

Maybe that's changing, I'm not too familiar with GM trannies these days
dunno.gif

PandaBear,
It's all those little problems that make the domestic vehicles so ******. I don't want to be at the dealership 3 times a month because of dumb stuff like that. There's no reason for those quality issues. It's either poor engineering behind the part or severely cheap part. Maybe this is why the lineworks at GM/Ford should keep their jobs while the execs and engineers start walking.

Maybe those idiot execs should watch Gung Ho and learn a lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back