Rolex price increases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rolex prices... Rolex prices... Please
smile.gif

JMH

I have a chinatown knockoff... Its nice as far as a cheapo mechanical movement watch goes (since you cant exctly get a mechanical timex these days), but its not the same...

JMH

quote:

I think MORI went to tell his MOMMY i SPELLED a word wrong.

DRUMMY, i TOld you're eKs-whife your beeheyving baDLYy.
wink.gif

JHZR2, look into Fortis. Much nicer watches than Rolex, at least according to my taste. And if you want to spend a wad, you can easily spend 6 grand on a stainless steel Fortis chronograph with mechanical alarm. If you get a gold Rolex, please get a matching Bentley with spinners and wear baggy designer jeans.
wink.gif

MORI you know i am just playing with you, when i buy something of value i always think what if i have to sell it. Fortis uses ETA movements not bad but not even close to ROLEX and again Fortis holds no resale value. JHZR2 go get a ROLEX catalog take your time , look it over and make your choice.

quote:

MORI you know i am just playing with you, when i buy something of value i always think what if i have to sell it.

You see, we fundamentally disagree on the purpose of a watch and the definition of the word "value." You are talking about value that can be measured in money, I talk about enjoyment and pleasure of a functional item that fits my needs. I've never bought anything wondering "what if I'll have to sell it some day." If I have to keep that possibility in mind, then I maybe shouldn't buy said item to begin with, because it's probably beyond my means. A watch is not a good investment -- at least if you want a wearable watch.
wink.gif

I'm not sure why you are so intent on presenting Rolex as the maker of the best movements? There are many makers who make incredible movements with astonishing features. The "It's the best, Jerry, THE BEST!" game is kinda lame. What's "best" for you may not be "best" to someone else. "Best" in what regard anyway? It really depends on an individual's needs and wants.

MORI i do agree with what you are saying we do look at watches differently, kind of like engine lubes. If i was to buy right now i would get the Rolex Air King with the black dial, love the look of that watch.
cheers.gif

I feel the the Rolex Submariner's price is reflective of popularity, not inflation; therefore, overpriced! Rolex Submariner is to watches as Bose is to speakers. No offense to anyone that owns either.

Some people think each Submariner is handcrafted by skilled watchmakers, taking up to a year to produce. Ha, mass produced like already stated. I do like the look of the Submariner but it's way overpriced these days. Plus, I doubt it could be called an investment, maybe a higher end or LE Rolex.

I have an Omega Seamaster (classic black) automatic that I bought about 4 years ago. I've cracked the sapphire crystal twice...$450 a pop to replace and clean. The crystal is interesting, anything short of a diamond or sapphire won't scratch it, but a 4 ft drop from the kitchen counter, splat!

I now where a Citizen's Sailhawk Chronograph as my daily bang around watch. Not bad, quartz accuracy, solar powered battery and the chronograph is useful. I reserve wearing the Seamaster when I'm not so distracted. I plan to give it to my son when an adult.

Hey Mori, I'm liking the looks of Sinn
grin.gif
I'm looking to add a tachymeter to my collection.

JHZR2 you know what i really like are the HAMILTONS from the 1950s and 1960s. These are great watches that can be had in gold filled for less than 100 dollars, the ones made in LANCASTER PA. are real collectables, just love that styling. I agree on movado , an overpriced piece of junk. I have taken MOVADO and TAGS apart , and they are real low quality. Also love the OMEGA CONSTELLATION FROM THE 60S AND 70S.

I have a couple old hamiltons like you speak of... yes I like them a lot as well!!!

For a while I worked in a rare coins and precious metals shop... but it didnt end there, as they also bought and sold lots of other antique things, like jewelery...

I bought old pocketwatches and wristwatches as they came in... if they caught my eye and I could accurately determine model, year of manufacture, etc.

It still amazes me how some of my 1870s pocketwatches run...

Ill have to check out the older constellations...
Thanks,

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
If you get a gold Rolex, please get a matching Bentley with spinners and wear baggy designer jeans.
wink.gif

Thanks... No gold... two-tone... two-tone...

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back