5000 miles in the Caprice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
Yep 5000 already. 1 oil change
Oil change is EASY...Running M1 10W-30

Complaints.
Gas Mileage is so so...part of that is my foot.
smile.gif

I don't like the police center console so I have a new one coming.
I do not like AFM. I think I am going to have it programmed out.
Exhaust drones a bit...putting a resonator on it.

Good
Tons of power
No one thinks it is a police car with the blacked out emblems and aftermarket rims.
Super Quiet
Very comfortable
Love the rubber floors.
Plenty of room for modifications
Like the gauges and Chevy My Link. Blue tooth works good.
6L80E? Love it. First Auto I have ever loved. Sport mode works very good.
Brakes are the best I have had on any car ever, no fade, always predictable and it stops awesome.
Enough options to be comfortable
Has been my favorite car to own ever.

Really nothing else to report.

Cool car ...
Made me laugh about a trip to Dallas years ago. I'm in a white Ford Crown Vic company car - antenna on every corner. This guy is passing me on the left when his wife (other) backhands him hard and points my way. Huh ?
I thought for a second - Oh - I was wearing Navy blue coveralls with an American flag on the sleeve !
wink.gif
He was speeding ...

Originally Posted By: Kira
My apologies...I CANNOT figure out what AFM stands for. Kira
Active Fuel Management. It's another name for cylinder deactivation.

My apologies...I CANNOT figure out what AFM stands for. Kira
same here.ihad no clue.those of us that don't keep up with every new car get left in the dust sometimes

Sorry, yes active fuel management.

It works fine, but it sounds weird and I am not sure how much fuel it actually saves.

Is your vehicle a former police car? Man, a 6.0l engine in one of today's lighter cars.

Now that we know what AFM means, are there still growing pains with the system employed? Is there more than one AFM system?

I know, I know...Google it.

Is your vehicle a former police car? Man, a 6.0l engine in one of today's lighter cars.

Now that we know what AFM means, are there still growing pains with the system employed? Is there more than one AFM system?

I know, I know...Google it.

Never saw police service. Ordered, agency could not afford. GM used it for about 3500 miles, Auctioned to local dealer at GM Auction. Dealer drove for about 8500 Miles. I purchased it with 12,000ish miles on it.

No growing pains on this one. Some of the early trucks and cars that had it used oil...That has been taken care of.

I know that Mopar has an AFM system as well.

Thanks for the update on that awesome car. Someday, i will buy one just for kicks, when they get really cheap.

It can be software deactivated with a programmer. I dunno but it might be possible to be deactivated via engineering mode.

Now that we know what AFM means, are there still growing pains with the system employed?

Some AFM equipped LS engines have had active lifter failure that also damages the cam. It's a problem with Gen IV LS engines that have AFM, I haven't seen the issue in Gen Vs personally (such as the Ecotec 5.3). The shop at work has done lifter/cam replacements on several V8 Caprices and '07-'13 pickups and SUVs. Obviously it doesn't happen all of the time, but it's not rare either. I just quoted lifters/cam and associated parts for an '09 Suburban yesterday, and had the parts in stock except for the cam.

In cases where there is a mechanical problem with the AFM, sometimes it's best to just delete it entirely. Just deactivating it is fine if no mechanical problems are present.

Here is a page with some good info...
http://lt1swap.com/afm_delete.htm

Glad you love it! I have cylinder deactivation on the Ram and can't stand it. Luckily it is disabled by going into manual mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back