Schaeffer 5w-40 in Jeep 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this is stupid.

I was shooting emails back and forth with a Schaeffer sales manager and he says their 9000 5w40 can be used in my jeep.

I just wanted a little more reassurance to be very honest. I saw pictures online and it is only rated CJ-4 with no SL/SM/SN rating. I wanted to try this as something new only to see if my jeep likes it but before that I wanted to know if anyone else was using it in a gasser.

Should I be safe or should I just stick with Delo/Rotella 5w40?

Thank you all!

Last edited:
I have some in my garage that I just checked - says it exceeds the SN rating in a paragraph and is rated for SM in the API donut along with CJ-4. I've used it in the past in my Mustang and other than lower fuel mileage it ran flawless.

Everything is on their website under the sds/td sheets.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
I have some in my garage that I just checked - says it exceeds the SN rating in a paragraph and is rated for SM in the API donut along with CJ-4. I've used it in the past in my Mustang and other than lower fuel mileage it ran flawless.

Thank you so much for that!

Do you know by any chance how much the gallon and single quart bottles cost?

Thanks again!

If you get it through the salesman the wholesale price is around $25 per gallon with tax and I think the quarts are closer to $7, but don't quote me. The retail price is around $11 I think for quarts.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Is it that much better than T6 which can be bought much cheaper?

Probably not. I didn't realize it was that expensive

Loves Truck Stops recently had T6 on sale for something like $27 for two gallons.

I use Schaeffer, but I usually buy in drums. Store fronts may have occasional nice sales on various brands, but bulk oil from distributors rarely is included those type of sales. Schaeffer is very cost effective compared to many other brands in these situations.

Interesting, is this the Pentastar engine? I know these can sound a little clunky when running-think it had to do with the valves and timing chain. I think the thicker oil would help with this. The only disadvantage would be less flow in the bottom end of the engine. A lot of folks don't really consider this, especially when the 5w-20 vs 5-30 discussion comes up, but the oil flows are really crucial to cooling the engine.

Originally Posted By: Amirkhat
Interesting, is this the Pentastar engine? I know these can sound a little clunky when running-think it had to do with the valves and timing chain. I think the thicker oil would help with this. The only disadvantage would be less flow in the bottom end of the engine. A lot of folks don't really consider this, especially when the 5w-20 vs 5-30 discussion comes up, but the oil flows are really crucial to cooling the engine.

No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back