Everyones Favorite Dino and Synthetic at Wal Mart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to gravitate toward Supertech conventional and synthetic, PYB and Castrol Edge black bottle. However Rebates win the synthetic war most days.

my work maintains 90 vehicles. from 2010 Toyota Prius' to 2003 f350 ( all gas ). they buy bulk 1030 semi synthetic and run it in everything.

they also have strict OCI and maintenance schedules. every vehicle that i post forsale has way over 300k on it...

their oil brand changes with each buy. cheapest bid gets purchased. >>

they chalk up the longevity of their service vehicles ( engine wise ) to the maintenance portion and not oil brand ...

i seem to make it to walmart 1 time a month. and at the prices of their supertech oil ( which seems to be shell oil ) i keep enough oil at home to never " run out " for an oil change.

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
my work maintains 90 vehicles. from 2010 Toyota Prius' to 2003 f350 ( all gas ). they buy bulk 1030 semi synthetic and run it in everything.

they also have strict OCI and maintenance schedules. every vehicle that i post forsale has way over 300k on it...

their oil brand changes with each buy. cheapest bid gets purchased. >>

they chalk up the longevity of their service vehicles ( engine wise ) to the maintenance portion and not oil brand ...

i seem to make it to walmart 1 time a month. and at the prices of their supertech oil ( which seems to be shell oil ) i keep enough oil at home to never " run out " for an oil change.

Every Walmart I've been in on the East Coast has Super Tech made and packaged by Warren, have yet to see any evidence of a Shell packaged ST Dino or synthetic.

For dino, PYB
For syn,...that's tougher, PPPP, Magnatech,M1, QSUD. I'd be happy with any of them.
I also think both dino and syn ST are decent oils.

I've mainly been using Mobil 1 High Mileage or Rotella T6 at Walmart for years now. It always seems to be the cheapest place to get oil.

I posted a thread here recently about brand perception because I've noticed that I'm not basing my bias toward purchasing Mobil 1 on anything scientific. I've seen a lot of good things about Rotella T6 here and on various car forums, so it's always seemed like the best oil for the price. The Mobil 1 HM has always seemed like a good option because my cars all have high mileage and I want to keep the engines clean. I don't know if it's necessarily better for that, though. I have no idea why I've always purchased it over any other high mileage synthetic.

The only conventional oil I've ever used was Castrol GTX, years ago, in my first car. I've had multiple turbo cars, and have only used synthetic because I got used to it.

Last edited:
oldeurocarlover...How do you like mobil 1 high mileage?? Is that full synthetic? We were talking about making that our go to high mileage oil.. How is that price wise?
Is that also blended on the thicker side of the scale??

I want to say I spent $22 for a five quart jug of Mobil 1...then added the rebate...ended up paying $10 bucks for it.
That's thought to beat. Two bucks a quart for Mobil 1? Insane.

Lately almost every oil in Walmart has been on sale.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
oldeurocarlover...How do you like mobil 1 high mileage?? Is that full synthetic? We were talking about making that our go to high mileage oil.. How is that price wise?
Is that also blended on the thicker side of the scale??

I've been using it for years, but I'm not quite sure how I like it compared to anything else, really. Anything I would have to say is purely anecdotal. I think my SAAB was a bit quieter when I used it (10w40), as compared to the 0w40 "euro" Mobil 1 or Rotella T6. I have it in my Volvo right now (5w30) with the hope that it will clean the motor up.

I think it cleaned up the motor in my SAAB a little bit. I had been using 0w40 Mobil 1, then did the whole Auto RX thing. I checked under the valve cover before the Auto-RX, then after. There was zero difference. Then I used Mobil 1 HM for about 2 years. I changed the valve cover gasket and noticed that it might have been a bit cleaner than the photos I took after using the Auto-RX.

Originally Posted By: doublebase
I want to say I spent $22 for a five quart jug of Mobil 1...then added the rebate...ended up paying $10 bucks for it.
That's thought to beat. Two bucks a quart for Mobil 1? Insane.

Lately almost every oil in Walmart has been on sale.

I just did the exact same thing a few days ago. I got two of them! It's the main reason I bought the Mobil 1 over Castrol Edge High Mileage.

I typically use Valvoline conventional or MaxLife in my Elantra, though I have been trying some other oils lately due to cost. I haven't tried SynPower yet in any of my vehicles, but I'll get to using it in my Sentra soon enough. The closest WalMart that carries 5 Qt jugs of Edge now is almost 20 miles away, which is pretty far when I can get other synthetics two miles away for the same price or cheaper.

+1 GMBoy
1st - my most often been in dozens synthetic - for decades
2nd - what buddy did 390k on repair free, and not done yet

Whatever major brand is cheaper. Just bought M1 0w30 for 20.98 less 12 rebate, if I actually receive one. Also Valvoline 5w30 for 18.98 for next spring. Online prices they match in store. Tricky.

Originally Posted By: Randy_R
Whatever major brand is cheaper

yup except for valvoline

Pennz High Mileage
Pennz Platinum
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back