Old 4Runner Oil Suggestions..

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the current owner of 2 1987 4Runners with the 22RE I suppose the term "Old 4Runner" is relative lol. For how you use it I'd also get some of the Napa Synthetic on sale right now. You could get 10 quarts for $30 right now combine it with the leftover T6 you already have to make 2 oil changes. I've owned a 2002 and 2003 Tacoma with the same engine you have, the 2002 was supercharged. Neither one seemed to ever be picky about oil. The 2002 with the supercharger even at 150.000 supercharged miles returned beautiful UOA even on 5w30. I really don't think you need a 40wt oil in that engine. If it was me I'd probably just pick up a 5w30 in the Napa Sunthetic and drive on happily at 7,500 mile OCI or more without a second thought.

As to the change in oil weight causing a significant change in fuel consumption. I have about 60,000 miles of gas and maintenance records for one of my 1987 4Runners with the 22RE and I can show that without a doubt using heavier oil (40 vs 30) costs me about 2 MPG across the board (city, mixed, highway) in fuel economy. On Xw30 it gets 17.8 city and 20-21 Highway, switch it out to Xw40 like it has in it right now and it drops to 15-16.2 city and 17.8-18.2 highway. It's repeatable data spread over 5 years and about 60,000 miles across all seasons that immediately shows improvement back to the higher MPG as soon as it's filled with 30wt again.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
As the current owner of 2 1987 4Runners with the 22RE I suppose the term "Old 4Runner" is relative lol.

At some point in the next few years I will be buying a project car and a 1st gen Runner w 22RE/5sp is at the top of the list.

Thanks for the advice all!

Originally Posted By: leemajors
As the current owner of 2 1987 4Runners with the 22RE I suppose the term "Old 4Runner" is relative lol.

At some point in the next few years I will be buying a project car and a 1st gen Runner w 22RE/5sp is at the top of the list.

I bought mine from its original owners 5 years ago. It's been a fantastic truck and it's my daily driver. Still running strong with 315,400 miles. Stay away from the 3.0 V-6 powered ones.

It seems like all the 2nd Gens I see around are 3.slows....drives me insane. I'm surprised so many are still running, to be honest.

I bought mine from its original owners 5 years ago. It's been a fantastic truck and it's my daily driver. Still running strong with 315,400 miles. Stay away from the 3.0 V-6 powered ones.

I bought my 1st gen out of California, lots of nice ones are still available out west far from snow and salt. As for your 4Runner I'd still recommend a 5/10w30 anything modern should serve you well. The 3.4 is an excellent engine. If treated well it should last ans last.

Castrol Edge 0w-40
Castrol Edge HM 5w-30
Castrol GTX MAGNATEC 5w-30
PUP 5w-30
Valvoline Maxlife 5w-30
NAPA Synthetic 5w-30

Last edited:

I have heard that the turbocharged versions were also problematic.

This may seem like a silly question, but in selecting my next/permanent oil--possibly to use in both my 4Runners (1GR-FE and 5VZ-FE), is there any negative to using a 0w-XX in them both?

I realize the benefits are probably negligible, but my reasoning is that if flow at startup is paramount for protection, why wouldn't a lower viscosity starting oil always be preferable to a higher viscosity?

When people say it is "too thin," isn't the actual cold viscosity still higher than at operating temperature? How can it be 'too thin?'

Just wondering because 0w oils are generally the same exact [censored] price as full synth 5w and 10w oils, and I was thinking that maximum flow at startup is more important--regardless of climate.

Both engines recommend 5w-30, and I was very much considering 0w30 or 0w40 instead.

Thanks.

This may seem like a silly question, but in selecting my next/permanent oil--possibly to use in both my 4Runners (1GR-FE and 5VZ-FE), is there any negative to using a 0w-XX in them both?

I realize the benefits are probably negligible, but my reasoning is that if flow at startup is paramount for protection, why wouldn't a lower viscosity starting oil always be preferable to a higher viscosity?

When people say it is "too thin," isn't the actual cold viscosity still higher than at operating temperature? How can it be 'too thin?'

Just wondering because 0w oils are generally the same exact [censored] price as full synth 5w and 10w oils, and I was thinking that maximum flow at startup is more important--regardless of climate.

Both engines recommend 5w-30, and I was very much considering 0w30 or 0w40 instead.

Thanks.

0W-30 will work just fine in that engine. I would use it, but I haven't seen Pennzoil Platinum in that flavor just yet so 5W-30 for me until then!

There's no reason to stay away from the 1MZ-FE engine, it is mostly a lot of Internet noise.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

There's no reason to stay away from the 1MZ-FE engine, it is mostly a lot of Internet noise.

He's talking about the 3vz-fe that had the power of a 4 cylinder with the fuel efficiency of a V8 and ate head gaskets for dinner.

He's talking about the 3vz-fe that had the power of a 4 cylinder with the fuel efficiency of a V8 and ate head gaskets for dinner.

Ahha, I apologize. I did not know there was another 3.0L V-6.

I think I'm the only person I've ever heard of that had a 3.4 V6 5VZFE engine that was not only VERY noisy but also burned oil like crazy. I could mix a full quart of super thick Lucas Oil Treatment with 4.5 quarts of oil and it would still burn at the same rate of 1/2 quart every 150 miles!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn

If you call a class action suit against Toyota "internet noise". http://web.archive.org/web/20070118062627/http://oilgelsettlement.com/summary_notice.pdf

In any kind of extended drain thread you are the first to front this model engine as needing special attention and having mystical powers of putting in gold oil, getting gold oil on the stick, getting gold oil out but having it be sludged up internally.

UD

6qts Valvoline MaxLife full syn going in tomorrow, weather willing. Thanks for the help y'all.

6qts Valvoline MaxLife full syn going in tomorrow, weather willing. Thanks for the help y'all.

What viscosity did you end up buying? Filter? I just picked up a case of 5w30 Napa Synthetic for use in my nearly 316,000 mile 4Runner
smile.gif

What viscosity did you end up buying? Filter? I just picked up a case of 5w30 Napa Synthetic for use in my nearly 316,000 mile 4Runner
smile.gif

Went w/ the 5w30. My wife's 07 uses 5w30 also, so I'll probably swap both over to the same oil. Plus we're rolling toward winter time and we got pretty cold last year so I figured I'd try to ease the cold starts. Got single digits a few times last year--don't want to push it.

I hope I get 316k out of either of our 4Runners...

A good friend of mine had a 2wd 96 4Runner that he bought with 140,000 miles. His wife drove it to 280,000 when they sold it. Still ran flawless when they sold it, the only things he ever replaced was timing belt, water pump every 90k spark plugs and valve cover gaskets. If someone didn't wreck it I'd bet that truck is still driving somewhere. It was never maintained with anything but Super Tech 5w30 conventional and whatever the cheapest filter Walmart had on the shelf for as long as they owned it. I reckon you'll be fine! You'll probably tire of them before you wear them out.

That's what everyone says but I love this [censored] truck.

That's how I feel about my 87, I just wish you could still get a stick in a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back