Electricly conductive grease for Samsung Galaxy???

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Galaxy S3 has developed the dreaded GPS problems and the solution most people recommend is to remove the backplate, clean the contacts that connect the backplate to the motherboard with rubbing alcohol, add a conductive grease to the contacts, then reinstall the plate and tighten the screws.

Is there a readily available over the counter product I could use for this application? Something that helps electrical conductivity?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Wouldn't this be an ideal candidate for deoxit gold? Home audio places should carry it.

The reason connectors go flaky is due to oxidation of the connection point and not a lack of conductive grease. Deoxit gold is a good idea to get the contacts clean and putting a dielectric grease will seal OUT the oxygen to keep it from becoming a problem again. Silicone grease is commonly available for this.

deoxit also make a potentiometer cleaner that leaves a dielectric grease residue behind to retard further oxidation.

Putting conductive grease in contact is asking for trouble if it melts/migrates to other contacts. $.02

Last edited:
This isn't something I'm really all that familiar with, but I'll confess I'm a bit blown away over the idea that it uses an electrically conductive grease. Just how do you keep it from migrating to adjacent contacts?

A thermally conductive grease yes. But really? Electrically conductive??

a dab of any grease, even vaseline will suffice. The contacts displace the grease enough to make the connection Another vote for de-oxit before and maybe grease after

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
The reason connectors go flaky is due to oxidation of the connection point and not a lack of conductive grease. Deoxit gold is a good idea to get the contacts clean and putting a dielectric grease will seal OUT the oxygen to keep it from becoming a problem again. Silicone grease is commonly available for this.

I agree. There's very few places one should use conductive grease, but application of dielectric grease is preventative maintenance.

dielectric grease

Originally Posted By: kschachn
This isn't something I'm really all that familiar with, but I'll confess I'm a bit blown away over the idea that it uses an electrically conductive grease. Just how do you keep it from migrating to adjacent contacts?

I agree. In a plug it works, keeps moisture and oxidation out and can help with electric conductivity. But I've seen sparks fly across pins where wd-40 was used in combination with 24V. That was the same connector as the old parrallel port on the computer.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
My Galaxy S3...

Just get a new phone. The S3 is 4 years old, which is ancient for technology.

If you don't need the latest and greatest, you could get something 1 or 2 generations old for less than $200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back