Japanese companies aren't as good !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not long ago almost everything came out of Japan were very good and performed as expected at reasonable price.

But lately there are some troubles with some Japanese companies.

Takata airbag company is at the top of the trouble list and now Mitsubishi is discovered cheating gas mileage for many models over many years.

Which Japanese company will be next ?

Quote:
More Mitsubishi models are found to have exaggerated fuel-economy ratings

Earlier this year, Mitsubishi admitted to cheating on fuel economy tests in Japan. Now, the Japanese government is ordering the carmaker to stop sales of additional models because of overstated fuel economy.

Japan’s transport ministry ordered Mitsubishi to stop selling eight models after an investigation showed that they returned lower fuel economy than advertised, reports Automotive News (subscription required). Investigators found that fuel economy on these models averaged 4.2 percent lower than what Mitsubishi told consumers, and as much as 8.8 percent lower in some cases.

The affected models include versions of the Pajero, Outlander, and RVR (sold as the Outlander Sport in the U.S.) SUVs. That’s in addition to the four models Mitsubishi admitted to overstating fuel economy on when news of the scandal broke back in April. That group included some cars manufactured by Mitsubishi for sale by Nissan, which purchased a controlling interest in the embattled carmaker in the wake of the scandal.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/mitsubishi-overstated-fuel-economy-on-other-models/

Last edited:
I wouldn't use Mitsubihi as an example of all Japanese brands. Mitsu has been one of the worst Japanese car brands for build quality and reliability for seemingly forever. They aren't nor have they ever been in the same league as Honda or Toyota.

That's a pretty small problem in the grand scheme of things. Plus no one dealt with air bags and high tech stuff too much back in the 80's-90's. The world is complex and connected now.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
I wouldn't use Mitsubihi as an example of all Japanese brands. Mitsu has been one of the worst Japanese car brands for build quality and reliability for seemingly forever....

This. Nuff said.

The root of the Takata problem was they were in trouble financially BEFORE they started to market the new chemistry ignitor that made for lower priced airbags; price advantage of $2-3 USD per car. Takata sales grew with the new improved pricing, however their downstream risk also grew because the new chemistry was much less stable.

The OEM's that became interested in the price savings did not dig deeper to find out why the new chemistry was not being adopted by other air bag makers? hmmmm.... that sounds weird? The world doesn't have very many airbag makers...3-4 tops, it would not have been difficult for someone at GM / Honda / Nissan to call the technical department of Autoliv, or TRW and ask them about the new chemical that Takata was proposing? had they considered this chemical? why not?

Keep in mind the single biggest driver for Engineering Changes for Automotive is cost savings. If you reset your compass to this point, all the results fall into place.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
The OEM's that became interested in the price savings did not dig deeper to find out why the new chemistry was not being adopted by other air bag makers? hmmmm.... that sounds weird? The world doesn't have very many airbag makers...3-4 tops, it would not have been difficult for someone at GM / Honda / Nissan to call the technical department of Autoliv, or TRW and ask them about the new chemical that Takata was proposing? had they considered this chemical? why not?

Or why did Honda put their heads in the sand?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/honda-takin...airbag-recalls/

Quote:
And while Honda was one of 11 automakers sharing the same airbag supplier, that company in particular is alleged to have known about the problem well before the others and to have kept critical details such as airbag ruptures, injuries, and deaths involving its vehicles away from federal regulators and the public.

Honda has a long history of this sort of thing - building junk and covering issues up.

I always associated Mitsubishi with Chrysler since some models shared parts if im thinking right...Always thought Mitsubishi was junk.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Japanese stuff peaked around 99
No it didn't. To this day, as an example, no car matches the Lexus LS460 on the combination of build, reliability and overall performance. Nothing measures up to the overall goodness of the Fit, the Camry, the Accord, the CRV and the Civic. The Mazda Miata is unmatched also. What happened is that products sourced in Japan got incredibly expensive. Japanese-brand cars are still killing it around the world. There is absolutely no evidence of a "peak in 1999."

Japan has some very good companies, especially some leading edge technology companies. But can you really believe you can draw any conclusion at all based on 2 companies in Japan and extrapolate to their entire business community?

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
sensationalist nonsense.

+1

not sure where HTSS_TR gets his news but its all clickbaity nonsense.

I suggest somewhere that practices basic journalism.. not this sensationalism/clickbait trash.
seems like 2 posts a day of this garbage.

Originally Posted By: Rand
sensationalist nonsense.

+1

not sure where HTSS_TR gets his news but its all clickbaity nonsense.

I suggest somewhere that practices basic journalism.. not this sensationalism/clickbait trash.
seems like 2 posts a day of this garbage.

If country of origin of a product isn't importance, and to you it's "sensationalist nonsense".

Then I have a question for you: There are two tools look and feel similar and costs the same, one made in Germany and the other made in China which tool do you buy ?

I am betting that the vast majority of DIY'ers would pay even a little more for made in Germany tools.

Another question: If you have a choice of a German cartridge oil filters, same brand but one made in Germany and the other made in China, if both cost the same which do you buy ?

Country of origin is a very importance factor when consumers go out shopping. Japanese companies gained the trust of consumers with high quality products since mid-late 1970's until few years ago. Now I don't know if I can trust "Made in Japan" anymore.

Quote:
seems like 2 posts a day of this garbage

Is this "General and Off Topic" sub-forum ?

Does this thread violate forum rule of no "Political, Religious and Sex" ?

Do I need to have your permission to post non "Political, Religious and Sex" thread in this sub-forum "General and Off Topic" ?

If you don't like to read/participate any thread in any sub-forum especially this sub-forum "General and Off Topic", then don't. Nobody forces you to read anything on any forum, remember that.

Last edited:
I prefer to buy domestics with high domestic content anyways. They seem to be as good as anything any foreign manufacturer can make. That being said, I think they have amazing quality control.

I wouldn't use Mitsubihi as an example of all Japanese brands. Mitsu has been one of the worst Japanese car brands for build quality and reliability for seemingly forever. They aren't nor have they ever been in the same league as Honda or Toyota.
I agree. My Mitsubishi was awful. Went to the scrapper with only 44k on it

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I agree. My Mitsubishi was awful. Went to the scrapper with only 44k on it

The linked article didn't mention Mitsubishi quality, the only point in the linked article is cheating.

I didn't post about Mitsubishi quality either. Until now I don't believe anyone can convince me that Japanese companies are as bad as others, they cheat the system as much as anyone else.

Mistakes are made daily at every company all over the world, but cheating is another story.

sensationalist nonsense.

+2
The OP should start a thread or two that makes sense.

I agree. Mitsubishi is hardly a good example of ALL Japanese makes...Mitsu has sucked for decades and can hardly be compared to companies like Toyota, Honda, Subaru, etc...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I prefer to buy domestics with high domestic content anyways. They seem to be as good as anything any foreign manufacturer can make. That being said, I think they have amazing quality control.

You'd be in the minority on this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back