Total Quartz 9000 Energy 0W30 - Synthetic or not?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Both the above labels mention "Top performances".

Total needs to hire better translators, or put these jugs on Broadway.
smile.gif

Looks like Frogland translators are not the most talented. A bit like saying the sky is blue, lol
wink.gif

Even in French, "Top performances" doesn't mean much, we call it a "frenglish" word.

Maybe Total (which is pushing its INEO line very hard) has only repackaged the oil in a more traditional (I mean like their 5W40 oils) way?
But is there really a point for them to do that?

If someone volunteer, I agree to participate (financially) to a VOA of this new oil, so we can compare with the old. I don't know how much IR spectrography stuff can cost, or if there's a lab besides oelcheck.de that is susceptible to do that?

I still have a small sample of the old ("fully synthetic") oil. But how to find if they are the same product or not? Would it make sense to put both oils into the freezer and see if one comes out thicker?

I have the new oil I can contribute for a comparative check.

The old oil has been checked a lot before, and the results are fairly consistent with the claims in the PDS.

Can you do a visual and/or sniff test/comparison? The oil in new bottle I've got has a very distinctive smell. If the old oil smells the same I wouldn't bother with a VOA

Good idea with the comparison test.

I took samples of both oils and put them into bottles. They look visually very same, however they smell different. The old 100% oil smells stronger in my opinion. I have put the bottles in the fridge over night to see if there is any difference in visible viscosity at low temperatures.

Originally Posted By: ChristianReske
In Germany, both oils are NOT labelb FULL SYNTEHTIC (Group IV), that means they must be Hydrocracked (Group III)

German Total HP states that the green fuel economy oils are designed for lower friction, therefore reducing the fuel consumption.

http://www.total.de/Oel-fuer-Motor-und-G...mierstoffe.html

An they still carry the regular Energy in theyr Product line.

http://www.lubadmin.com/Restitution.aspx...mp;Parametre1=2

HTH.

Both oils are "Energy" actually. The seller explained to me that they are probably the same oils and that my old oil is labelled for Irish market, but the new oil came from Germany...

After taking the samples out from the fridge I can't notice any difference between these oils.

well, the oil code on the boxes I have is 151522 and that's consistent with the code found here for 5 liter containers:

http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/24772-total-quartz-energy-9000-0w-30/

they're talking about a possible reformulation in july 2013, but even that oil wasn't frozen at -50°C

last post in the 11 page topic (translated by google from russian). it's the oil with the new lable with "synthetic technology"

Posted on May 25, 2016 - 13:11

He took butter Totals 0-30 .. and looked low temperature properties ..
Oil from France .. ((not Asia .. : Facepalm: ..lapshu do .. : Acute:
CCS at .. -35gr. (34.4) = 5934 mPas. ((Limit of 6200 mPas.
Loss of strength .. -50gr. = Not frozen ..
MS. decent performance without cheating .. .. : Friends:

Blackstone analysis will not tell you what group the base oil is.

It doesn't, but it'll tell us if tha add pack is the same, or if it isn't what we're dealing with.

I bought this oil for it's low ash, but higher phosphor levels compared to C3 oils.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Full Synthetic is Group IV

Synthetic Technology is Group III

Nope. Plenty of Group III oils are described as "full synthetic", perfectly 'legally'.

Originally Posted By: weasley
Nope. Plenty of Group III oils are described as "full synthetic", perfectly 'legally'.

In most countries, yes. What about Germany?

"HC-Synthese", translates as "hydrocracked synthesis".

Last edited:

Exactly. That was my point. In Germany for example, HC cannot be marketed as full synthetic.

Exactly. That was my point. In Germany for example, HC cannot be marketed as full synthetic.

That was the reason fo my previus Post with links to the german TOTAL site....that nobody noted?

I am 100% convinced that this oil(s) are HC Group III because it is clearly NOT labeld "Full synthetic" here in Germany.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Full Synthetic is Group IV

Synthetic Technology is Group III

Unfortunately most brands are downgrading the composition of their lubricants in recent years. Every time it's more common to see shenanigans like "synthetic technology", "synthetic type" to replace "100% synthetic", "full synthetic" from the labels of the oils. The process of cheapening the formulations of the lubricants isn't recent and is here to stay. In the case of Total I think there is little place for doubts about the nature of basestocks used in the production of their oils - I strongly doubt this brand has any real synthetic oil, group 3 hydrocracked "synthetic technology" would be the best you can expect from Total.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Thebimmerfan
I strongly doubt this brand has any real synthetic oil, group 3 hydrocracked "synthetic technology" would be the best you can expect from Total.

Unfortunately that's what I always thought from Total. Like some of their oils though
smile.gif

Back