Do you have a fave Motorcycle Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was using a frankenbrew of various leftover & clearance oils I had laying around...mostly 10w-40 MC oils (maxima coventional & synblend), some 10w-40 ATV oil (Maxima conventional), some 15w-40 HDEO (Supertech) which was augmented with some Castrol 10w-40 synthetic MC oil; was doing great over the last 2 OCI's (1500-2000 miles) to use up the stash...started having an issue where downshifting into 1st gear was becoming difficult; dumped the brew (@ 1250 miles) and grabbed a cheap PCMO to flush out the sump (if it continued then I would be doing a clutch inspection/adjustment)...well the Smitty's Super S 10w-40 synblend PCMO has been great for nearly 1000 miles! filter used for all of this is a HiFlo Filtro HF 204 that has been in service for almost 5000 miles...planning another oil change in a few days with a new filter for the rest of my riding season & winter storage...thinking Vslvoline 10w-40 conventional MC oil or 15w-40 Rotella conventional HDEO

now what to do with 2 + gallons of frankenbrew?!? I guess I'll see if my favorite MC shop wants it for their use (they resurrect older neglected bikes and use cheap oil for flushing) or just take it for recycling since I do not have any OPE to use it in!

Last edited:
My favorite has got to be motul 300v 15w-50
It smells almost like candy and looks like old school green antifreeze

SwQbT5j.jpg

but as far as actual performance is concerned regular old 15w-40 Rotella or even its Supertech knockoff works very well.

MAXIMA PREMIUM 4 10w-40 I have used in for years in a Wing, Royal Star Touring Deluxe and a Nomad and all bikes felt like they ran better and cooler with it.

Last edited:
I like mobil 1 15w-50 for the Duc 996 with dry clutch, and 20w-50 castrol for the old 70 triumph as it gets 500 mile oil changes and has no oil filter.

For my H-D twin cam I use Valvoline VR1 20W-50 because it's cheap and it seems to bw well liked here. I change it every 2K and the filter (genuine H-D) every other oil change.

Last edited:
i use supertech 1540 in motor and ST 2050 in primary/tranny...

why ?

my 4 minute drives to/from work 3 times a day are going to kill the motor faster then any riding abuse will...........

I'm liking Bel-Ray 10w40 EXL mineral oil so far. Shifting feel is better than the previous Delvac and no false neutrals with belray on downshifts like with delvac

Time will tell how long it holds up

Last edited:
I'm running Rotella T in my 2016 650 Versys LT, but I really liked Schaeffers 707 in my 2014 Wide Glide. Why? Price point and performance for the application.

used to use GN4 in most of our bikes until the place that had it kept raising the price and then they ended up going out of business anyways.

now I and my dad/brother use Rotella T 15w40 in all the bikes.

Just did my 1st post breakin change at 7042 miles on my CTX 1300, it specs 10w30 and an 8k OCI. I went with Lucas10w30 synthetic. To soon to tell what the bike likes. If it doesn't shift well or develops odd noises I'll probably try Valvoline 10w30 synthetic next.
Previously I've used, depending on the season, Lucas 10w40 and 20w50 in my air cooled bikes with good results.
Why because it's readily available, reasonably priced and it seems to work well in all types of bikes.

Originally Posted by Idahokid
I use schaeffers and Lucas products.I have uoa on both and their very close.Just a good synthetic is all I need.

X2 for Schaeffers, Ive had excellent results with their lubricants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back