Cheap LED headlights, yes/no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wemay
...and this setup is worst of all. A few idiots around here think it's cool.

009-2013-toyota-tacoma-double-cab-4x4-rigid-industries-e-series-led-light-bars.jpg

Most of the bro trucks around here have these installed above the windshield or on the front bumper. They use them at night on the road and are absolutely blinding when they are coming toward you.

After looking at a few options on Amazon for giggles, the technology isn't right for plug and play. The LED placement on the drop-in replacements is approximated, the drivers are running gosh knows what components in an underhood environment, and the LED's are depending on a fan drawing in hot underhood air to cool themselves with. I didn't see any sort of debris screen or dust seal to prevent dust/moisture from entering that fan or the headlight itself. Pass.

No. Just no.

No LEDs. No "h7rc" bulbs. Use DOT and OEM stuff.

For better halogen lights, try Phillips xtreme vision or vision plus. $15-30/pair. Better output, but shorter life. Worth the trade-off.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx

009-2013-toyota-tacoma-double-cab-4x4-rigid-industries-e-series-led-light-bars.jpg

Most of the bro trucks around here have these installed above the windshield or on the front bumper. They use them at night on the road and are absolutely blinding when they are coming toward you.

I know our local police will pull over for running these on the street. I have a friend that got a stern talking to from a Sheriff deputy about his light bar.

roof mounted lights are wonderful off road. sadly, most of the vehicles I see with them never leave the pavement beyond what it takes to park up on the curb.

I can't comment much in this thread because I have some 100w IPF's on the front of my Jeep. Illegal? Only if I get caught I guess and they are only used in the middle of nowhere. I think they look nice and offer great lighting on back country roads. They are hooked into my high beams (easy on and off) and are on a mouse style switch so they can be turned on/ off even with the brights on.

They are mainly used in the Fall when the deer are in the rut.

Flame away guys.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
I have no issue with anyone using any kind of lighting when they're alone on that section of road.
Same here, if there is nobody else on the road, by all means, light it up like a stadium at night! But the idiots in the bro trucks use them on roads with other vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx

I know our local police will pull over for running these on the street. I have a friend that got a stern talking to from a Sheriff deputy about his light bar.

I thought off-road lights had to be covered up? Maybe that is just to pass inspection.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
After looking at a few options on Amazon for giggles, the technology isn't right for plug and play. The LED placement on the drop-in replacements is approximated, the drivers are running gosh knows what components in an underhood environment, and the LED's are depending on a fan drawing in hot underhood air to cool themselves with. I didn't see any sort of debris screen or dust seal to prevent dust/moisture from entering that fan or the headlight itself. Pass.

The good ones are adjustable, and you can nail them down real nice.

I have had zero issues with my fan cooled LED lights.

My Navigator's LED fogs have clearly been showered in dirt and water from the back. The fans have yet to have an issue after over 30k miles on the road.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: sciphi

The good ones are adjustable, and you can nail them down real nice.

I have had zero issues with my fan cooled LED lights.

My Navigator's LED fogs have clearly been showered in dirt and water from the back. The fans have yet to have an issue after over 30k miles on the road.

What brand, and can you post some shots of the beam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back