Does Anyone Remember...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...when Mobil 1 first appeared...shiny silver metal can...rumored to make VW Beetle oil pressure lights illuminate at idle...looked like colored water when it came out of the can? I remember the first time I tried it...holding my breath the at the first red light...would the low pressure light come on at idle in my 75 Celica GT? It didn't.

Last edited:
I started using M1 5-20 in 1978 in a Dodge engine that I was using 10-40 Valvoline. I was so impressed with the severe cold temp(Maine)starts and 10K OCIs I was doing, I still use M1 today, 38 years later. The only place I could buy it was a Mobil station on US Rt 1 in Bath, Me where I lived. $5 a qt.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
A 5w20 may have made bug oil lights flash

You could get a flashing oil light on even the water-cooled cars with the wrong 10W-30.

My car allows for anything from 5w20 to 20w50 depending on the outside temp not sure i'd put in M1 5w20 though i think the oil pressure gauge would just sit at the bottom and never move... on 10w-40 at hot idle the op gauge would be just above the red zone.

I remember it well. Mobil replaced an engine for a good friend of mine because it failed as a result of an oil related engine failure using Mobil 1 oil in it when it first came out. [Flame suit on]. A few years later I bought that car and continued using Mobil 1 in it. They did the rebuild in house, and did a bang up job redoing that engine.

My friend owned a Mobil gas station with a repair shop and was given Mobil 1 to use in a car. He also raced cars and had their logo on the sides of his 70 Camaro.

I noticed on some new cars when the engine is hot and you shut it off for 20 minutes or so and restart it the oil lite will stay on for a second or two or three.. My 2011 santa fe 3.5 v6 does that and so does my friends 2016 3.3 Santa fe..I also had that on a lexus.

I never used the 20wt M1 I started useing it when the 15w50 weight came out and I ran it in several cars and trucks for many thousands of miles.

I started using Mobil One right after it first came out in 1971. Used it since then in many different engines. Tried Royal Purple once but never again.

Synthetic motor oil brand – Mobil 1 History | Mobil™ Motor Oils
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-...mobil-1-history
Sent from Maxthon Cloud Browser

I now use Pennzoil Ultra 5W20 in my two vehicles because I believe it's superior to all other synthetics.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
I first used mobil in the mid nineties. 0w40 flavour it was. I'm not old enough to have seen oil in metal cans on the shelves.

your not missing anything bro... i love the oil containers we have now.

I believe Mobil I became available in the USA in about 1978. I first used it in a small block 350 which called for 10W-30. Never had a problem with Mobil I in 38 years. I remember those nice silver cans.The five quart jugs from Walmart are the perfect product for my current V6.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
I first used mobil in the mid nineties. 0w40 flavour it was. I'm not old enough to have seen oil in metal cans on the shelves.

You're not lying, man. I can only order Mobil Jet II in cans or drums... Wish I could get it in plastic bottles like AeroShell oils!

If the internet was around back then, we would have been arguing about real cans versus paper cans with metal tops and bottoms, instead of foil seals versus plastic rings.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

If the internet was around back then, we would have been arguing about real cans versus paper cans with metal tops and bottoms, instead of foil seals versus plastic rings.
wink.gif

Those new plstic bottles and jugs are made of a petro chemical , over the course of a few months the oil will break down the plastic and then it will end up in your engine and coat everything in plastic.

I still have a couple of oil can opener/pour spouts somewhere, as well as a can opener/pour spout funnel with a 24" inch flexible gooseneck for canned ATF.

Originally Posted By: Garak

wink.gif

right? hahaha

Originally Posted By: Evili
I still have a couple of oil can opener/pour spouts somewhere, as well as a can opener/pour spout funnel with a 24" inch flexible gooseneck for canned ATF.

omg i forgot all about those! i had one of them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back