BMW i8 Could Have 750 HP All-Electric After 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's late but it's better than never. BMW should have this performance by 2017, but 2020 is still okay.

Originally Posted By: hybridcars.com
BMW is reportedly making a wild claim: a future all-electric version of the BMW i8 could be capable of producing 750 horsepower and incredible torque.

The disclosure was found by BMW Blog in an article by Automobile Magazine on a future version of the i8 that may be released after 2020.

A new i8 hitting that much power would be more than double the 362 horsepower produced by the current BMW i8 plug-in hybrid.

The lofty 750 horsepower estimate, if it were released today, would likely be faster than any production-level electric cars on the market, though who knows what we’ll see four years hence?

Originally Posted By: hybridcars.com
So how will BMW reach that astronomical level of power? The internal combustion engine in the current BMW i8 will go away, replaced by three electric motors, according to the Automobile Magazine report. Each of the three electric motors will be able to rev up to 25,000 rpm.

Higher capacity batteries will deliver the i8 close to 300 miles per charge. It wasn’t made clear in the article if that means European NEDC estimate or a shorter (and more realistic) range EPA estimate.

BMW still plans to roll out the second edition of the BMW i8 between now and 2020 or later with a revised exterior look. The next version of the electric motor is supposed to have a 10 percent power increase, going up to 420 horsepower through an upgraded powertrain.

http://www.hybridcars.com/post-2020-bmw-i8-could-have-750-all-electric-horsepower/

750 hp and a 300 mile range is something I definitely WOULD use- frequently!

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
How about 200 hp and 1000 mile range instead? Something the world could use.

i8 is not an economy car, it is an exotic car for the few.

I already got that with my 2000 Buick LeSabre.
grin2.gif
It's 20 years ahead of its time.
grin2.gif

I understand that but move the technology to a 3-5 series and make it worthwhile.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

i8 is not an economy car, it is an exotic car for the few.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
750 hp and a 300 mile range is something I definitely WOULD use- frequently!

but if you use the 750 hp, the range drops to 30 miles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back