Fram Ultra XG3506 - 2 years/11,000 miles Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Cut open the Fram Ultra off of the 2002 Chevy Trailblazer 4.2L I6, 111k miles. Filter was on for 2 years and 11,000 miles.
1st year was 5,000 miles and using Chevron Supreme HM 5w30, 2nd year was 6,000 miles on Castrol GTX SynBlend 5w30. I cut it open using my angle grinder with a cutting wheel. Replaced it with another Fram Ultra and Pennzoil Platinum HM 5w30.

There's a slice of metal from using a grinder stuck on the filter in the 2nd pic.

1z495sn.jpg

b8pmyh.jpg

nvac0n.jpg

2ic5mvd.jpg

2eeyfc6.jpg

6xxor4.jpg

Chance to have a bad Fram Ultra is almost zero.

Are you going to do 1 Ultra with 2 OCI's of 10k with PP ?

Last edited:
I will be using a Ultra when I change my oil for the first time on my Pilot. Good looking filter.

Nice to see a 2 year Ultra. Inspires confidence.

I have one on now. I wonder how long it could go in a clean engine.

Very Very Nice.. In general Fram did a nice job on the Ultra.. I still check every filter i use very carefully because you never know..Keep posting filters good and bad because it is very informative to everyone here and it keeps the filter companies on their toes ...At least the good ones.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Chance to have a bad Fram Ultra is almost zero.

Are you going to do 1 Ultra with 2 OCI's of 10k with PP ?
I'll leave it on for 2 more years again, it clearly can take it. I'm not sure what I'll change it with next year as far as oil, I'm not brand loyal.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Very Very Nice.. In general Fram did a nice job on the Ultra.. I still check every filter i use very carefully because you never know..Keep posting filters good and bad because it is very informative to everyone here and it keeps the filter companies on their toes ...At least the good ones.
Yup, I'm thinking of leaving my Camry filter on for a second oil change too, just a shorter one with conventional. Not sure yet. Have to look at my stash of oil and see what I've got. Might be a mix.

I had a bad PU filter.The element was loose at a 1 year 3.500 oil change interval and I inspect filters before installing them .

Last edited:
This Fram certainly earned its keep with a lot of sludge filtered. It would be interesting to see some pics under the valve covers. Thanks very much for the interesting C & P.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dorcheat
This Fram certainly earned its keep with a lot of sludge filtered. It would be interesting to see some pics under the valve covers. Thanks very much for the interesting C & P.
smile.gif

*Valve cover

wink.gif

Inline 6 only has one lol.

I was wondering what the deposits were in the bottom of the filter. The engine should be sparkly clean, maintained it's entire life religiously.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I was wondering what the deposits were in the bottom of the filter. The engine should be sparkly clean, maintained it's entire life religiously.

Products of combustion blow-by I'd guess. The oil and filter are doing their job to keep the engine clean looking inside.

Originally Posted By: Wasatch1
Looks good. Why did you pick the Fram alternate 3506 over the 3675?
3506 is what it calls for on the AutoZone website and in the Fram parts catalog

Interesting, I change the oil on my parents 02 GMC Envoy and Fram recommends the larger 3675.

Interesting, I change the oil on my parents 02 GMC Envoy and Fram recommends the larger 3675.
Hmm, just checked Frams website and it says 3506 can be used as a replacement for 3675, and says the 3675 is the longer version. Fram book in aisle of Walmart says 3506 when I bought it and AutoZone site says 3506. I doubt it'll make a difference. Maybe next time I'll use the longer one. But my hand fits in nicely with the shorter one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back