Changing water pump on a 2004 Kia Rio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

While getting my daughter settled in on her first day of college, I discovered that her car was leaking coolant and almost overheated. It's leaking in the water pump area. Lower radiator hose is fine and no leakage from there.

She got the car almost three years ago and has put almost 30,000 miles on it. The car has right around 128,000 miles. We had the timing belt, water pump, tensioner pulley, and belts replaced at the same time.

I don't know why it's leaking already but from what I understand, this is not an easy job. Does anyone have the procedure on how to replace the water pump on this car? I can't seem to find it online anywhere. This car has the 1.6L 4 cylinder.

I remember that the original work was pretty costly at the time and would hate to have to pay that much again so soon but the repair may be more than I want to tackle, especially with how hot it still is.

Thanks for any information you can give.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: AntsinmyEyes
The shop may warranty that. I would check there asap

I bought the car from a friend of mine and he did the work and bought the parts but I don't think he has the receipts anymore and he said he would not do a car like that again. He said it was a real pain.

Wayne

You can get Alldata DIY for one year and it'll tell you step by step.

I like to go over all the steps before starting a job.

It might be that the water pump was not installed correctly. I did a water pump recently, and it started to leak. I failed to clean the mating surface sufficiently, which is common. I just used a scraper, but I should have used some sandpaper or scotchbrite to make it almost mirror smooth. I had to take off the timing belt and do it over again. I took a scotchbrite pad and made it very smooth. No leaks after that.

And the gasket needs to be installed right. There are many ways to do it wrong. And did he use OEM parts or aftermarket? Aftermarket parts can leak sometimes.

If it was a DIY job, it probably was not done right. If it was a pain to him to do it, it might mean he was doing it for the first time and did not know how to do the little things that make the job last.

You will need to take this to a pro, but it will cost many hundreds.

I just looked at alldata you do have to remove the timing belt and drop the PS pump to gain access. Its not too bad to do but there are a couple of step that need to be taken to make the pump seal isn't damaged on initial startup.

Rock Auto has 1 Aisin pump left so if your going to do it grab it while you can. also read this, if this was not done that could be a reason for early failure.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/kia,2004,rio,1.6l+l4,1425978,cooling+system,water+pump,2208

Read the installation tips.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?...314&jsn=314

Thanks for the information. I'm pretty sure it was an aftermarket pump because I think we bought a kit that had everything in it that is recommended to be replaced.

I found that Aisen pump on ebay for the same price and free shipping so I ordered that.

I must have missed the youtube videos. I will check them out. Thanks.

Wayne

You might as well do the entire timing belt job again, if the pump wasnt installed correctly I would have little faith in the tensioner also being properly installed.

See if you can determine where the leak is originating from?
At the base is probably the easiest fix, just clean the mounting surfaces and add a new gasket. A very light coat of RTV may help.
If it looks like its coming from the pulley area/weep hole, it may be from a failed propeller seal or misaligned pulley.

I haven't changed the water pump yet (2005 Hyundai Accent 1.6L), but IIRC, you can leave on the P/S pump. The timing belt and alternator and bracket usually has to come off, however.
I also bought the full kit from Gates, but went with a Korean GMB/Auto 7 water pump instead. It'll go in at the next timing belt replacement.

Edit: I assume the Rio 1.6L is similar to the Accent 1.6L, here is a copy of the HMA Service manual: 2004 Accent LC 1.6L DOHC Manual.zip

I did decide to change everything out again so I ordered a Dayco kit that has the belt, tensioner, idler pully, some spring and seals. It should be here Friday.

I'm still undecided if I'm actually going to try this repair myself or pay to have someone else to do it. It's been in the low 90's with high humidity and I'm not going to work on anything when it's this hot out. My ex-wife has also agreed to pay for half which makes it easier for me to pay someone else to do it. I've been reading quite a lot about this repair lately and for most of the DIY'ers, it is taking double to three times the quoted book rate of about 3.2 hrs for this repair, especially for those who have never done it before.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wtd
I'm still undecided if I'm actually going to try this repair myself or pay to have someone else to do it.

That's why you should get Alldata DIY for one year. It'll tell you exactly what needs to be done and also tell you if there's any special Kia tools to buy. With the amount of money you'd save on labor, you could easily buy the special tools needed and even a whole set of Snap-on metric wrenches. You'd have something to show for.

I did decide to change everything out again so I ordered a Dayco kit that has the belt, tensioner, idler pully, some spring and seals. It should be here Friday.

I'm still undecided if I'm actually going to try this repair myself or pay to have someone else to do it. It's been in the low 90's with high humidity and I'm not going to work on anything when it's this hot out. My ex-wife has also agreed to pay for half which makes it easier for me to pay someone else to do it. I've been reading quite a lot about this repair lately and for most of the DIY'ers, it is taking double to three times the quoted book rate of about 3.2 hrs for this repair, especially for those who have never done it before.

Wayne

It's going to cool down this weekend. You can do it,
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MarkM66

Wayne

It's going to cool down this weekend. You can do it,
smile.gif

Parts did not come in so it's a no go plus I don't have the car. It's at my daughter's college and she went home with her mom for the weekend so I don't have a way to even get it since she has the keys.

It's also supposed to get hot again starting Sunday.

Here is an update. I decided to take the car to the dealer to have it fixed because after doing some more research and reading, decided it was something I didn't want to tackle and didn't really have time to do.

I had inquired at four places about getting this repaired. One said they didn't want to do it. Another shop didn't return my two messages about getting this done so I assumed they were not interested as well. A third shop wouldn't let me use my own parts and was going to overcharge me for parts so I settled on the Kia dealer who said they would do it for $380 in labor and I could supply my own parts.

Since my ex-wife was going to pay for part of the repair, it made the decision easier for me to not do it myself. After today, I'm glad that I did not do this one myself.

Before I explain why, there was some miscommunication between what I wanted done and what was actually done. I had told the lady that made the appointment that I only wanted the water pump, timing belt, belt tensioner, and idler pulley replaced. This was not relayed to the service adviser or the tech doing the job.

The kit that I bought and provided them, included the cam and crank seals as well as all of those other parts I mentioned other than the water pump which I ordered separate. So in addition to replacing the things I wanted to be replaced, they also changed out these seals which generated more labor charges which were way higher than what I was originally expecting to pay.

Of course I was not happy about this and told them I did not authorize the replacement of these seals even though they did say they were also leaking. Who knows if that was true or not. Anyway, after some negotiating, they agreed to lower the total cost to $617 which included the purchase of one of the seals in the kit that they said did not fit. I was still not that happy with this but they said that since I had included these seals in the kit, they assumed that I also wanted them replaced.

In part of their defense, they did try to contact me at work about the wrong seal and a sprocket that they broke trying to remove it but could not get through the switch board which is a common issue so they left a message on my cell phone which I did not get until I got off of work since we are not allowed to have our phones at work.

Now to the reason I'm glad that I didn't try to do this job myself. The person that had done this job before when I first bought the car, had broke off one of the mounting bolts for the water pump in the block and had used sealer to try and seal everything up. This is why that repair did not last. They took me out to the car to show me the old pump and to show me everything torn down. Since they had to order the sprocket and seal, they did not finish the car that day.

Today, they tell me that the car is almost done and that they are test driving the car to make sure everything was okay. I drive 35 miles to go pick up my daughter whose car it is and we go to the dealer. They tell me it will be about 30 more minutes because the timing is off by one tooth and so they have to go back in and fix that. After about an hour wait, the service adviser comes out and tells us that a dowel pin that is somehow related to the timing is loose and that they ended up tearing into the car for the third time before they discovered why the timing would not stay where it was set. They were in the process of replacing the dowel pin but the car would not be ready until tomorrow since it was so late in the day. The service adviser said that they would honor the price that he and I had agreed to yesterday even though they have a lot more labor involved in this thing now.

I'm not at all familiar with how the timing is set on this engine or about this dowel pin but hopefully this thing will be fixed tomorrow without anymore issues or that they don't try to stick me with more labor charges. My service adviser is off tomorrow but he already has the agreed upon ticket ready for tomorrow when we pick the car up. We shall see.

Wayne

Last edited:
Seems like you have had decent service from this Kia dealer

I wonder if the issue with dowel was also caused by the DIY cam let and water pump change?

The older Kia's and Hyundais are sturdy little cars.

Though in the UK due to the poor residuals once they get to around 7/8 years old they tend to get neglected and jobs such as Cambelts are ignored.

The same thing seems to happen in the UK to French cars, they soon become disposable without preventative maintenance being done, just basic servicing and repairs to pass the annual MOT

While the job went a little sideways it sounds like overall a really good dealer. While it costed you a little more in labor for the seals you had not authorized, at least the job will be done right. It was great they caught the timing issue before releasing it back to you as well. I know a lot of people avoid the dealer for various reasons, but sometime peace of mind is worth the extra money. It will be good to know you can send your daughter off in the car without worrying.

I'm pretty happy with the dealer as I'm sure they lost money on this deal because they had it all day today and didn't get it done until about 2:30 pm this afternoon. Of course I don't know how many actual hours they put into it today but they had the car a full three days with some of yesterday waiting for the parts to come in. I still paid the agreed upon price even with all of today's labor.

Hopefully there will be no more big repairs for awhile as this car needs to last her while she is in College. Car only has 127,200 miles on it and it had a new transmission put in it at about 97,000 miles right before she got it. Car still does have the CEL on which last time I checked it was something about the O2 sensors even though the pre-cat one has been replaced. I guess I will get an after-cat one as well since it also said it had issues.

I'm sure the previous DIY repair could have caused the dowel problem of course I'm not sure where this dowel is located and if it's possible it got damaged when they tried to remove the timing belt sprocket that was seized during this repair.

Wayne

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back