2017 Harley Davidson Milwaukee-Eight 107 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought HD enlisted the assistance of Porsche in the design and engineering of the V-Rod engine ?

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
How much will MSRP increase I wonder. Glad to see HD updating their engine and no add'l weight. I may need to look into a 2017 Road King next year.

HDs website seems to show the same or about the same MSRP for the 2017 Road King. I think the same as my 2014 was or very close to it.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: 02SE
Interesting. Is this the first time they have had a 4 valve head?

Well, that depends. Are we talking just the air-cooled V-twins from the Motor Company, or do we include 4-valve heads from the aftermarket? What about the V-rod, or the VR1000 Superbike the Revolution engine was loosely based on?

I had forgotten about the V-Rod bike. The video highlighted the fact that the new engine used a 4 valve head. I wasn't sure if this was a first.

i guess i should say is this the first time they have had a 4 valve head on the air cooled v-twin?

HD makes stuff difficult..The new engine is ONLY on the touring models and the heads are all water-cooled and they call it twin-cooling or something like that. The CVO's now come with the 114 engine which also uses liquid cooled heads.

The other non-touring bikes still use the air-cooled 103 engines..

Last edited:

i guess i should say is this the first time they have had a 4 valve head on the air cooled v-twin?

I believe so.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I thought HD enlisted the assistance of Porsche in the design and engineering of the V-Rod engine ?

They did. But it was also loosely based on their VR1000 engine.

Originally Posted By: rossn2
donnyj08 said:

HD makes stuff difficult..The new engine is ONLY on the touring models and the heads are all water-cooled and they call it twin-cooling or something like that. The CVO's now come with the 114 engine which also uses liquid cooled heads.

Im not so sure what is difficult. Rushmore touring bikes are just that, heavy touring bikes, no more difficult then any other brands big bikes = big engines. Harleys touring bikes had High Output 103s, while some of their other bigger bikes had plain non high output 103s
Now the touring bikes are getting 107s and they are not in any way all water cooled, in fact nothing much changed in the models that have water cooling and those that do not except if you meant to say all 107s have some form of liquid cooled heads for the valve area, that would be true but that is the design of the new engine, liquid cooled heads.
The non water cooled heads will have oil cooled heads and of course still rely on air as well.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
donnyj08 said:

Im not so sure what is difficult. Rushmore touring bikes are just that, heavy touring bikes, no more difficult then any other brands big bikes = big engines. Harleys touring bikes had High Output 103s, while some of their other bigger bikes had plain non high output 103s
Now the touring bikes are getting 107s and they are not in any way all water cooled, in fact nothing much changed in the models that have water cooling and those that do not except if you meant to say all 107s have some form of liquid cooled heads for the valve area, that would be true but that is the design of the new engine, liquid cooled heads.
The non water cooled heads will have oil cooled heads and of course still rely on air as well.

Maybe I was not clear, but I did not say the engine is water cooled, just the heads are water/oil cooled (twin cooled) as they were on the 103's.
The GPS just plain sucks on the Harley..even trying to put in a custom route generated with the Harley Route Planner, is no easy task to figure out how to get it to work properly. And, why when the ignition is on does it take a couple of minutes for the Navigation to become available? The new Indian is way quicker and user friendly..Not saying I'm gonna buy an Indian.

Ahhh, not to nit pick but you did say all the new 107s heads are "all water cooled" and that is incorrect, thats ok, we all do it and you corrected that error to now say water/oil cooled. ( I assume you mean the 107 heads are all either oil or water cooled and that would be correct, either oil OR water)

But you are incorrect again in your last statement.
The 103 HO touring engines heads were not in way oil cooled, the only heads that had any liquid cooling were the top of the line water cooled touring "Ultra" bikes, all the other 103 HO Road King, Street Glide and Road Glide touring bike engine heads were stickily air cooled, no oil cooling, no water cooling.

Fast forward to 2017 Road Kings, Street Glide and Road Glide, same deal, only the 107 Ultra models have water cooling in the heads and now, for the very first time all 107 above models (non Ultras) without water cooling will have oil cooling in the heads.

Quote:
ast forward to 2017 Road Kings, Street Glide and Road Glide, same deal, only the 107 Ultra models have water cooling in the heads and now, for the very first time all 107 above models (non Ultras) without water cooling will have oil cooling in the heads.

Oh, I double-checked the HD site..stand corrected..

Quote:
But you are incorrect again in your last statement.
The 103 HO touring engines heads were not in way oil cooled, the only heads that had any liquid cooling were the top of the line water cooled touring "Ultra" bikes, all the other 103 HO Road King, Street Glide and Road Glide touring bike engine heads were stickily air cooled, no oil cooling, no water cooling.

Of course they are they are all oil/air cooled...Are you trying to say there's no oil going thru the heads?

Last edited:
To me, Harleys are "relax, ride and enjoy the scenery" bikes. They certainly aren't sport bikes so I don't understand this obsession with cubic inches and hp/torque.

Harley will probably sell all the Milwaukee 8's that they can build but I will still be happily cruising on my '98 evo powered Ultra.

'They certainly aren't sport bikes so I don't understand this obsession with cubic inches and hp/torque.'

^ Good point. My son has a CVO 110 Road King Screamin Eagle. I told him if a 600cc or bigger sport bike gets beside him at a traffic light...nod, then ignore him. If you mess with him, you'll just get your feelings hurt.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
My son has a CVO 110 Road King Screamin Eagle. I told him if a 600cc or bigger sport bike gets beside him at a traffic light...nod, then ignore him. If you mess with him, you'll just get your feelings hurt.

Good advice, that.

Not much scream in that eagle... Granted the CVO and sportbike are not at all designed for the same thing, but the (exactly) 300% displacement advantage (vs a 600) enjoyed by the RK should count for something... (Perhaps it should be called the Whistling Chickadee, or the Singing Sparrow...
grin.gif
). At least the new mill is a step in the right direction power-wise...

Quote:

Of course they are they are all oil/air cooled...Are you trying to say there's no oil going thru the heads?

Of course there is oil going through the heads of any engine. Why would you ask?
I think I know the answer to that and you feel any engine with oil can be referred to as oil cooled. That partially can be correct but not the intended purpose of the oil in the first place for the discussion here and weather to call ANY engine, car, truck or bike oil cooled because oil flows through it is a bit of a stretch. .

Ok, lets keep in mind we are talking about a new engine that was just announced and information is sketchy at best but I believe this to be true. Yet I may have to eat my words someday if proven other wise.

IN the case of the Harley 107, for the first time there actually maybe "channels" in the heads for oil to circulate around the valve area, the purpose will be to remove heat and NOT lubricate.
I am having trouble finding an actual diagram, yet Harley 107 statements are calling it "directed oil cooling" and we have to admit you do not hear engine makers referring to "oil cooling" unless there is some specific non lubricating functions. Some one on a forum (might have even been here) did post a diagram but unclear if it was cooling channels for water OR oil OR either.

Only time will tell ... some stuff to point out what I am talking about ... think most know.

Harley-Davidson's New Milwaukee-Eight Big Twin Engine | Cycle World
www.cycleworld.com/harley-davidson-motorcycles-new-milwaukee-eight-big-twin-e...
Aug 23, 2016 - Harley-Davidson unveils its eight-valve Big Twin in 107- and 114-inch ... The standard 107 uses precision oil-cooled cylinder heads and will be ...

Harley Makes New Milwaukee-Eight Engines Official (with video ...
www.motorcycledaily.com/.../harley-makes-new-milwaukee-eight-engines-official-wi...
Aug 23, 2016 - “The Milwaukee-Eight engine retains the classic Harley-Davidson ...... the 114 has targeted water cooling, the 107 targeted oil cooling.

and here is the best one of all ...

Harley-Davidson Unveils The Milwaukee-Eight ... - Motorcycle.com
www.motorcycle.com › Bike Reviews › Harley-Davidson
Aug 23, 2016 - Harley-Davidson To Announce 107ci And 114ci “Milwaukee Eight” ... of targeted cooling via either oil or liquid coolant directed to the hottest ...

Harley-Davidson Unveils The Milwaukee-Eight Engine ... - Street Cyclez
www.streetcyclez.com/.../harley-davidson-unveils-the-milwaukee-eight-engine-for-to...
Aug 23, 2016 - Harley-Davidson To Announce 107ci And 114ci “Milwaukee Eight” ... of focused cooling by way of both oil or liquid coolant directed to the most ...

'They certainly aren't sport bikes so I don't understand this obsession with cubic inches and hp/torque.'

^ Good point. My son has a CVO 110 Road King Screamin Eagle. I told him if a 600cc or bigger sport bike gets beside him at a traffic light...nod, then ignore him. If you mess with him, you'll just get your feelings hurt.

Excellent point, I have no idea why anyone would compare two completely different classes of bikes as far as speed and acceleration.
Makes no more sense then comparing a motor home to a Mustang or a Mustang to a Mini COoper or a Mini Cooper to a Luxury SUV.

Harley Road King is a touring bike, it is designed to tour in comfort, not race. Good god, a new Road King has a massive amount of power and torque perfect for constant long hours 80 MPH interstate in perfect comfort for you, a passenger and tons of luggage, tracks like its on rails, doesnt get blown around by tractor trailers and gusty winds. It hauls up mountain roads like a bear pulling a wagon....

If you want to compare sport bikes, compare them to sport bikes. When we watch NASCAR races do they have monster trucks in the race too?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigdreama
To me, Harleys are "relax, ride and enjoy the scenery" bikes. They certainly aren't sport bikes so I don't understand this obsession with cubic inches and hp/torque.

Harley will probably sell all the Milwaukee 8's that they can build but I will still be happily cruising on my '98 evo powered Ultra.

^^^^ Exactly but instead of "scenery" bikes, lets call them "luxury" bikes, just like we would call an automobile with the same purpose.

Tell him to just lean over and challenge it to an 600 mile day with a weekend of luggage for two...
wink.gif

Exactly. Personally, if I want to go fast at my age (55) I like a cage around me. That's what the Mustang is for. One slip-up on a bike means possible death or a long hospital visit. I don't like to take risks anymore. With that being said, any motorcycle rider takes a calculated risk and knows the consequences of riding at the mercy of others on the public roads. I'll just ride my "slow" Harley and enjoy the scenery.

A Harley can get the jump off the line due to the torque, if the sport bike rider isn't on his game as far as knowing how to launch. That said, with the advent of the Bosch inertial sensor pkg that is beginning to be integrated into higher end bikes, things like Wheelie Control are being added as electronic safety features. Ducati calls it DWC for Ducati Wheelie Control. Works in conjunction with the Traction Control where rear wheel spin is controlled as is front wheel lift limited to a certain amount before the ECU modulates throttle. With those sort of nanny systems in place, look for more sport bikes to launch much better than they could be by pure rider finesse alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back