Got me a new Stihl FS 56 trimmer today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my Hitachi trimmer bit the dust today. The coil died out and a new one was $70, didn't feel like foolin with it, so went to Stihl dealer and got the FS 56.

Only ran it briefly but it seems like a good one!

The older I get the more I realize the importance of buying a major brand such a Stihl or John Deere, where you can go to the local dealer and get most common parts that day. The Hitachi service is non existent.

Don't care for the head, so I have an Speed feed head on order. LOVE those heads.

Anyone using the FS 56?? And how do you like it??

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a stihl fs56 for a couple years now. Had a few issues with it, glad i bought the stihl oil for the extended warranty. It's ok for the prices, the newer stihl stuff isn't as good my the old stuff I had. My next with be an Echo and not stihl.

Originally Posted By: volk06
I've had a stihl fs56 for a couple years now. Had a few issues with it, glad i bought the stihl oil for the extended warranty. It's ok for the prices, the newer stihl stuff isn't as good my the old stuff I had. My next with be an Echo and not stihl.

Can you elaborate on the issues, so maybe I can keep an eye on those areas??

BTW also got the extended 4 year warranty by buying a six pack of the ultra oil (a very good 2 stroke oil), for $14 dollars!

If your experience is anything like mine you got a good one. I have a Stihl FS 56 that is old enough I've forgotten how old it is. But it is at least 12 years old. The ONLY problem I've had is that the original trimmer bump head finally wore completely out. I mean holes in the plastic shell. A short shopping spree on Amazon and I was back in business. I also have an Echo that was my dad's. Both are excellent trimmers and seem to run as good as the day they were new. Hope yours does as well.

Originally Posted By: daddi
Well my Hitachi trimmer bit the dust today. The coil died out and a new one was $70, didn't feel like foolin with it, so went to Stihl dealer and got the FS 56.

Only ran it briefly but it seems like a good one!

The older I get the more I realize the importance of buying a major brand such a Stihl or John Deere, where you can go to the local dealer and get most common parts that day. The Hitachi service is non existent.

Don't care for the head, so I have an Speed feed head on order. LOVE those heads.

I have that model. Have had it for a few years. I like it. The head is a bit of a pain though.

Last edited:
I bought an FS56 last year and replaced the head with a speed feed head in short order, removed the guard during the head replacement as well. To me this is the perfect set up. Plenty of power for what I need it for, and just works flawlessly. This is my first experience with a quality trimmer as the one I had before was a Wally World special. I was torn between the this one and the Echo at the time of purchase because of the speed feed head and my hatred for restringing spools. I had entertained buying a new trimmer and was researching when my WW special made the decision for me and died completely during trimming one day. Stihl dealer was closer then HD. I am glad I went this route.

Husqvarna trimmers are easy to put new line on. I put 0.095" string on both. The gatorline that is squared and with (I cannot remember core). Cuts great.
One is the '07 125L
The other 223L , lightweight and fun to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back