2014 Buick Lacrosse V6 6,300 oci. Mobil 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
First lab test, 4th oil change with mobil 1 5w30. Fram ultra filter. I change my oil filter every other oil change. I like the results. I definitely will be extending the next oci to 8,000 miles. Any suggestions oil experts? Thank you and enjoy.

Last edited:
With 1.9% fuel dilution, I think I'd change at every 6k and call it a day.

Edit: isn't this a DI engine? And what is a normal iron level for these engines?

BTW, I'm far from being an expert.

Last edited:
Oxidation, nitration, wear levels all look good. Viscosity ain't bad, why cut it short? What is fuel doing other than depressing the pour point(that so many here think needs to be at -60 for a 0 degree morning)? Keep chugging i say.

I'd say go for 8k and resample, assuming this doesn't go beyond the oil life montior's suggestion. In DI engines I suspect fuel dilution will plateau if driving conditions don't vary. You may have been at around 1.9% for the last few thousand miles and you may still be there at 8k.

#'s look great to me. How many total miles on this unit? Any make up oil added? 8000 OCI should be no problem, but I'd just go by the OLM or up to 10,000 as long as you stick with a Dexos full synthetic and keep it topped off. Double stinting the Ultra should also be easy. Thanks for the post.

I never have understood why you'd leave an old filter and used quart of oil in a vehicle when you're concerned enough to spend money on a UOA (or for any other reason really)... My 2 cents...

It is GDI - I like to call it a day at 7500 on GDI and not do UOA - but to each his/her own ...

Originally Posted By: vronline
I never have understood why you'd leave an old filter and used quart of oil in a vehicle when you're concerned enough to spend money on a UOA (or for any other reason really)... My 2 cents...

Because the filter isn't old to start with, is just starting to actually filter better than a sieve, and the quart of oil you leave has partially reacted anti-wear chemistry which is lacking in new oil and is reportedly a cause of extra wear right after an oil change

Change the filter every oil change. Why would you mix several needless ozs of used oil with the new oil? DI, tech in reverse.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Change the filter every oil change. Why would you mix several needless ozs of used oil with the new oil? DI, tech in reverse.

Because lube engineers have found that this lowers wear. Why are you trying to out think them?

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

Because lube engineers have found that this lowers wear. Why are you trying to out think them?

Honda is the only manufacturer I know of that recommends changing the filter every other OCI. Not saying Honda doesn't know something, but most still seem to agree with Tig1 (except for the DI comment, of course).

I think this looks pretty good, especially for this DI engine. While TBN still good, viscosity and fuel dilution are starting to erode, so to me 6-7,000 miles seems a reasonable OCI for your driving conditions. What did the OLM read when you changed?

Oil Analyzers/Polaris will seemingly always show higher fuel dilution than Blackstone, so the 1.9% is actually a pretty good result. Oil Analyzers tells me DI engines typically show 2-4% dilution in their tests, so yours is doing well. (Well, not as well as a non-DI engine, but that's another story.)

Name some. Now, used oil produces less wear and keeps engines cleaner than new oil.
crazy2.gif

Call any oil producer and ask them if several extra ounces of an oil change should be with used oil when it can be eliminated.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danh

Honda is the only manufacturer I know of that recommends changing the filter every other OCI. Not saying Honda doesn't know something, but most still seem to agree with Tig1 (except for the DI comment, of course).

With the apparent problems of DI, how is it an improvement over ported fuel injection? Just askin.

Originally Posted By: Danh

With the apparent problems of DI, how is it an improvement over ported fuel injection? Just askin.

I agree, but suspect the manufacturers don't. In fact I'm wondering if I should buy a new, port-injected car to last through the period of DI experimentation. Two DI cars in the fleet now: the Ford seems just fine, the Honda not so much.

DI is better for fuel economy, horsepower and emissions. Durability, longevity may be a different story. They may need a few more years to figure out that part. I don't blame people who like to buy and hold cars forever for avoiding DI at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back