Oil for 1996 Mazda B4000 pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know if it burns/leaks any oil? What kind of OCI are you planning on using?

Here is what I would do in the 5w30 grade:

Minimal Oil Loss:
PYB & Napa Silver/Wix

Oil Loss:
Maxlife or Defy & Napa Silver/Wix

4-5k OCI to start

Originally Posted By: Branson304
Valvoline MaxLife SynBlend 5W-30 & FRAM Tough Guard

Good suggestion, but you might as well use the Full Synthetic version since it's now available!

If you don't know what was in it before or know how the oil was treated I would run the cheapest oil you can get for 3k miles. Supertech with a fram Orange can for 3k miles would do. This would help verify whether it leaks and help do a little bit of cleaning so you know what to expect. If it leaks, I would try a high mileage. Quakerstate Defy has a good add pack and seems to do pretty well. Maxlife seems to be pretty great also. If it doesn't leak, I would try Supertech synthetic for 7500 or go with any conventional oil for 5k.

Also, I would probably keep using a fram orange can on conventional and a fram Tough guard if moving to an OCI longer than 6k miles.

Havoline $11.77 or Havoline high mileage $13.47 that's on sale at Walmart. $5 rebate available to 8/31/16 end of this month. Submitted my rebate online, and had a check in the mail in 17 days. The black bottle Havoline 5W-30 is a synthetic blend.

https://www.chevronpromotions.com/

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Originally Posted By: Branson304
Valvoline MaxLife SynBlend 5W-30 & FRAM Tough Guard

Good suggestion, but you might as well use the Full Synthetic version since it's now available!

When you don't know what you have, full synthetic and old beaters are a bad combo - even a HM FS. I'd stick with the ML Red Bottle - or even regular or HM SuperTech at 5k OCI until you get a handle on what you have - 5W-30 version. Any cheap filter is fine, just keep the oil level topped off for the full OCI.

It does leak some oil, haven't looked into it. I got it for weekend light off roading and for hauling whatever, but it won't get many miles on it. I was considering the MaxLife, don't know about the filter to go with. My first truck. There is a Kendall sticker on the windshield but that's all I know about the oil. Nothing.

Unless it is burning oil I would use Motorcraft 5w-30 and a MC filter. Same thing I used in my 93 explorer (similar but different engines.) Otherwise I would use Pennzoil HM and an MC filter.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Unless it is burning oil I would use Motorcraft 5w-30 and a MC filter. Same thing I used in my 93 explorer (similar but different engines.) Otherwise I would use Pennzoil HM and an MC filter.

Not "similar but different" engine. It's the exact same engine.

A truck like that I would use a MC filter and whatever HM 5w30 is on sale. Personally would not use synthetic.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
When you don't know what you have, full synthetic and old beaters are a bad combo - even a HM FS. I'd stick with the ML Red Bottle until you get a handle on what you have

oh, I thought that was a long put to rest myth about "cant use a synthetic in an older car"

I've always had good luck with it in my cars around 200k miles

Quote:
Unless it is burning oil I would use Motorcraft 5w-30 and a MC filter.

Conventional, correct? Does Walmart sell this do you know? How does this oil spec out? Who makes it? Why did you use it? I don't know the history of the oil in the truck.
It looks like the leak is driver side rear valve cover gasket. There is sure a lot of stuff to remove it appears to get to the valve cover. I'll see how much it's leaking and decide what to do. First the oil change. I ordered a couple of MC filters from RA so I'll be doing a change next weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back