Windshield: can it be repaired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got clocked by a rock this morning. It's about an inch across, has not cracked past this; but it's a nice starburst. I see online that it might be repairable...?

If it can't be fixed, what is the windshield type I should get?

I did snap a pic of the truck that I think dropped it; but I wasn't even in the same lane so...?

I believe that can be fixed. It's worth asking a shop. If not, I really can't say what the best replacement would be. With the taxis, whoever could do a decent job quickly and at a good price was good enough.
wink.gif

Clicking on random shops indicates that. I'll ask around at work for recommendation on a shop, maybe I can get it repaired this week.

If it's not repairable, ask for an OEM windshield. If it's out of pocket, it will cost more, if it's through insurance they will cover it.

Oh--wife says we have full coverage! Sweet. I thought our policy had dropped that. Time to call.

Those repair kits work OK, depending on how bad the damage is. At the very least, it should keep it from cracking or spreading and make it a little less visible, but it won't fix it 100%. More like a band-aid if anything.

One question they will ask is if the windshield has been Rain-Xed or not.

If it has been, they won't do such a repair.

I imagine if you cajole them and pay yourself they might do it but it won't be with any guarantee of success.

I was told the treatment keeps the "glue" from sticking. "Yes", I told him, "but the starburst is all new breaks and is "fresh glass".

He said it didn't matter and that he had given up trying.

I don't use Rain-X. Although that is a good reminder, as my wife will try to sneak that into her washer tank when I'm not looking.

Made appointment for tomorrow. Hopefully it can be fixed. It's well above line of sight so I don't care if it's wavy. I wouldn't be against a new windshield, due to pitting; but it's not that badly pitted, and it appears my ins company uses Safelite, which IIRC got low reviews here.

Permatex makes a windshield crack repair kit. I got it at Parts source here in Canada for 15 dollar CDN.

It is repairable. I have had worse--but place some tape over it until you make it to the shop to keep dirt out of the cracks. Also, do not delay--temperature changes, hitting bumps, going over uneven roads can all cause the star to become a long crack in short order.

Some gravel pits near town - so have had several repaired and lasted for years.
Good techs know when you can fix vs replace - but went for 2nd opinion once - I don't give up my factory install if there is a decent chance at repair.

i use RainX on the windshield and in the washer tank. I had a ding like that fixed several years ago with no problem. THe resin is forced INTO the crack, not on the suIrface. I suspect some places like to sell windshields, just as some shops like to sell alternators when the problem is simply worn brushes, a 10 dollar part.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
It is repairable. I have had worse--but place some tape over it until you make it to the shop to keep dirt out of the cracks. Also, do not delay--temperature changes, hitting bumps, going over uneven roads can all cause the star to become a long crack in short order.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
Safelight just did one like that for me, I was impressed.

+1 I heard they are great for repairs like this. Does NH have free windshields with insurance? In MA it is free (well, a nominal free, couple pennies.) I was able to get a similar repair fixed with an OEM acoustic glass (my GMC) for free. Worth speaking to your insurance carrier for

Crack can be fixed by filling it.

If the crack has spread usually creating "lines" of crack from original crack or the chip is at the outer edge of the windshield, then it has to be replaced.

If it can be repaired, generally your insurance company will pay for it... in full. My experience has been that the company who repairs it....will bill your insurer directly.

But, if you need a new windshield, your cost will be whatever your deductible is ($250,$500). Windshields are not cheap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back