ATF as engine oil flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I add Mineral ATF to all my lawn mowers engine oil approx. 2 hours before draining it. I also use Briggs 30W oil in them all as I get it at a good price (L). Using the ATF has improved the cleanliness and performance of all my mowers.
These Mowers include:
- Rover 4HP Briggs (15yrs old, sat for 5yrs)
- Big Bob? 3.5HP Briggs (15+yrs old)
- Honda HRU194/6 4HP Honda OHV engine (16yrs old)
- Greenfield Lawn Tractor, 16HP OHV Briggs (Rebuilt 1yr ago)
- Generic Mower with 3HP Briggs (Rebuilt by me 1yr ago)

Does anyone else do this?

Originally Posted By: Jabbo
I add Mineral ATF to all my lawn mowers engine oil approx. 2 hours before draining it. I also use Briggs 30W oil in them all as I get it at a good price (L). Using the ATF has improved the cleanliness and performance of all my mowers.
These Mowers include:

Terrible practice that has no basis in science. If adding a low additive, lower viscosity oil for two hours of running helps clean your engines, you should seriously look at your drain interval and your motor oil choice.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
These Mowers include:

Terrible practice that has no basis in science. If adding a low additive, lower viscosity oil for two hours of running helps clean your engines, you should seriously look at your drain interval and your motor oil choice.
+1 on all points.

Transmission oil stays clean because there is no combustion (we hope).

Here is a simple experiment.

when you are working on your car and get dirty hands try to wash your hands with tranny fluid.

Then try with motor oil. Yes, fresh motor oil makes a good hand cleaner. Then simple soap will remove any oil.

Rod

Use a quality synthetic oil in your OPE and you will never have a need for an engine flush, as your engines will stay clean.

Using the ATF has improved the cleanliness and performance of all my mowers.

No, it hasn't. Choose a stout 10W-30 synthetic or good ol' SAE30 even.

If you believe in that concept - I find store brand 0w-20 synthetic for $2/qt once in a while ...

It would appear the search feature on the board is broken, as there are dozens of threads on this that all say "Nope".

Originally Posted By: 4WD
If you believe in that concept - I find store brand 0w-20 synthetic for $2/qt once in a while ...

Which would definitely clean better than ATF

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Using the ATF has improved the cleanliness and performance of all my mowers.

No, it hasn't.

Well said.

no i do not use atf in any engine. answer why is in post by bandito440 and several others.

today's atf is not like the atf of many years ago, and a search on the forum will confirm it for you.

if an engine flush is needed you are better off going with other products on the market.

hope this helps.

Last edited:
These Mowers include:

Doubt the atf did any of the cleaning. U are better off just changing the oil on a regular basis

As usual with the proliferation of "pseudo experts" on this forum, a TOTAL lack of understanding of base oil properties has been demonstrated.

Modern ATF can be naphthenic based with lower FP, low aniline point high VGC.

Whale oil ATF was near magical stuff when I was a young mechanic.

Yes, IOP. certain ATF is a good flush. Base oil makeup is important for flush not DP.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
As usual with the proliferation of "pseudo experts" on this forum, a TOTAL lack of understanding of base oil properties has been demonstrated.

Modern ATF can be naphthenic based with lower FP, low aniline point high VGC.

Whale oil ATF was near magical stuff when I was a young mechanic.

Yes, IOP. certain ATF is a good flush. Base oil makeup is important for flush not DP.

Which ones?

and one more bit of information, i am seeing what today's atf's leaves behind by doing flushes in my transmissions and experiencing it first hand.

yes I know, just another bit of anectdotal information.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
ATF has significantly fewer detergents than engine oil.
Fewer or none? From everything that I have seen ATF has no detergents. OP - ATF has not cleaned anything in your OPE. PCMO did the cleaning.

Detergents can be used in ATFs, as much for surface/frictional properties than for cleanliness. Low levels though. Most ATFs use base oils you are familiar with in engine oils and a mix of proprietary additives for friction, oxidation etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back