Parking lot accidents involving backing up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, do you guys remember the commercial about the SUV with a marching band behind it? You could not see anyone from the driver's seat. Backup cameras can be useful.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
There is a reason I always try to park as far away from the store as possible!

And I always back in to a parking spot. Makes it easier to see getting out.

I do the same thing, so does my wife and son. It makes getting out of the spot safer and easier. I love watching people try and park as close to a store as possible and jam their car straight into spots between cars just to be close to where they're going. Typically their cars have the most scratches, dents, and dings on them.

I only back into spaces if absolutely necessary. I can't recall in 50 years of driving ever having any close encounters when backing out of a space and I always drive small low-riding cars, which makes it more difficult to see around the giant SUV's and trucks (of course even pulling out would still present this challenge). Proceeding slowly, repeatedly checking both directions and being ready to break instantly, should prevent any accidents or, if there is one, it should be very minimal. I have a back-up camera but rarely use it other than as a guide to make sure I'm centered backing out of my very narrow garage and would never rely on it as my primary guide to backing out or a parking space in a lot.

The thing I don't like about people backing in to a space is that they don't seem to be very good at it. The majority of them end up crooked or with one or more wheels on or over the line. Of course they could take the time to fix it, but most don't apparently.

Another thing I often see is that people exiting a space, either by backing or pulling, seem to assume they have the right of way and all other cars and pedestrians should yield to them. And they get angry if you don't.

I always reverse park, so I never have to back out of a parking spot. Clear, 180 degree vision from both sides before I pull out.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Backing accidents are always your fault.

This isn't true. If the parking lot has one-way aisles, and the other car is driving the wrong way down the aisle, it's not the fault of the car backing out.

Originally Posted By: xfactor9

This isn't true. If the parking lot has one-way aisles, and the other car is driving the wrong way down the aisle, it's not the fault of the car backing out.

You're correct, but this case is rare.

I finally have the back up camera and love it as well as the side camera on my 15 Civic. I still look behind me physically just outta habit. At night its the best as it illuminates so i have plenty of light to back up down long stretches. I thought the camera idea was stupid at first..but the extra 750.00 got me the better rim,the backup and side camera and a huge touch screen with hondalink so i think it was worth it. Its got a hdmi port i guess for a phone or ps4 hookup maybe?

Originally Posted By: xfactor9

Incorrect.

If you live in no-fault insurance places like me, in a private lot, you're both at fault, regardless of circumstances.

I simply park at the far end of the parking lot and pull all the way through so I both pull in and pull out of the parking space. Not only do I avoid the problem of backing out of a parking space, there's less traffic and I get the added benefit of some extra exercise by the longer walk.

If it's a lot where there is no option, then I'll back into a space. It's always safer to back in than it is to back out. When you pull up to a spot and back in you can easily keep a better picture of everything around you-when you back out you loose the entire sight picture. However, it's very rare that I have to do that-most of the parking lots of businesses that I patronize are large enough to have double sided lanes (such as the farm supply or the grocery store).

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
If you told me at age 55 I'd be like this in 5-7 years I'd have no believed you. Unless you're a Yoga Instructor, things are gonna change when you head over the hill.

Interesting. I'm 72 and not a yoga instructor, and my wife is in her late 60's and not a yoga instructor, yet neither of us have those issues. Have you considered actually exercising and doing stretches on a regular basis to help your chronic condition?

I park forwards if I intend to put stuff in the boot. Backwards if I don't. And always in the least occupied section of the parking lot (far away from the shop entrance). The wife doesn't like the walk though she doesn't mind going up and down the stores 4 times...

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I simply park at the far end of the parking lot...

I find that no matter how far out I park, someone always parks next to me. The kicker was New Year's Day this year. I parked at the far end of a lot at the store, I come out to see that someone parked right next to me despite the fact that the lot at that part was completely empty other than my car. I looked at the vehicle and saw that there was a huge dent in the right front fender and it had been there so long that it was rusting where the paint was scraped off. Don't tell me that the driver was concerned about their car and that's why they parked next to me...
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: opus1
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I simply park at the far end of the parking lot...

I find that no matter how far out I park, someone always parks next to me. The kicker was New Year's Day this year. I parked at the far end of a lot at the store, I come out to see that someone parked right next to me despite the fact that the lot at that part was completely empty other than my car. I looked at the vehicle and saw that there was a huge dent in the right front fender and it had been there so long that it was rusting where the paint was scraped off. Don't tell me that the driver was concerned about their car and that's why they parked next to me...
crackmeup2.gif

He was playing mind games.... he knew perfectly well why you parked there...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
People reach that age or have physical limitations when they can't do proper head checks when backing out of a stall. Construction work kills my body. Backing in and minimizing head checks makes it easier for me.

Driving my work truck and going to Costco just frustrates me. I use teleportation instead.

This is the case with me. My horrible back as well as my neck issues make turning my head the proper amount, a real painful endeavor. I do it, but sometimes catch myself neglecting a full head turn. Not only that, but my eye site is not as good as it was. And with glasses on my peripheral is slightly hampered.

Age has it's dangers. To others as well as ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back