2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 6MT - First Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The runoffs are definitely not something you want to do at the Glen. It's not exactly a forgiving track... It's also a tough track to drive hard in the Jeep, as coming into a corner too hot doesn't leave you a lot of ways to correct. Letting off the throttle is pretty neutral, but slaps it around a little (suspension isn't super-stiff), hitting the brakes pushes it towards understeer. Getting on the throttle hard pulls the nose in a bit, but it's pretty nerve-wracking to do that when you're already going too fast into a corner, and it'll likely still understeer a hair (getting the tail out at speed in a tall SUV is bad).

At least you had fun, and hopefully the weather will be better for next year. It was borderline flurrying last year
smirk.gif

Last edited:
The traction control, at least on my manual transmission Cruze, is mediocre. It does help on flat ground, but not in snow or on hill starts. The stability control is excellent. It does let the car get a little out of line before intervening. And, it's not a total buzz-kill when it does intervene. I didn't have either intervene when driving Watkins Glen.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
The traction control, at least on my manual transmission Cruze, is mediocre. It does help on flat ground, but not in snow or on hill starts. The stability control is excellent. It does let the car get a little out of line before intervening. And, it's not a total buzz-kill when it does intervene. I didn't have either intervene when driving Watkins Glen.

I watched a few on board laps and it seems like such a fast track for the most part, that you probably don't want to get the stability control involved much at all...
Watch a few clips of the Mosport DDT on youtube, its a fun little track where getting sideways in a few spots isn't slowing you down much. It also has some elevation changes and one S-curve that I really like. Anyways its good fun to get out on any track.

Figured I'd update this after approximately 14 months and 35k miles on the car.

After a few upgrades/updates such as a headlight harness/better bulbs, putting Amsoil Synchromesh into the transmission, and flashing a Trifecta Performance dual-mode (economy/performance) tune into the computer, this is a very good car. Has it been flawless? No. I have had to fix some squeaks and rattles in the steering wheel and in the overhead console. Fortunately those were easy fixes, and the rattles have not returned. Then again, the aftermarket tune likely caused some of those rattles since the car has a lot more grunt down below 1500 RPM, where the engine can shake the car much more. Suffice to say the issues I've had with mine have been minor, and easy to fix (knock on wood).

A recurring issue was the trunk switch going dead. I've got that licked, but it still does act up. Most of the time I use the remote to open the trunk, so it's a non-issue to me.

Even with a tune and an occasional bout of spirited driving, I've averaged 44.1 mpg in that 35k miles. Most of my driving is done between 45 and 60 mph, which helps matters greatly. Oil changes have been about every 7500-8000 miles with full synthetic 5w-30, as this has shown to be a good interval via two UOA's.

While some folks might scoff at a tiny 1.4 liter engine with a turbo attached, I've not found myself wanting for more power once I flashed the dual-mode tune. Get it spinning past 2000 RPM and it'll scoot when in the economy mode. With the tune in performance mode, it moves along very smartly, say to merge down a too-short on-ramp. Most of the time it's kept in the economy mode for better fuel economy and because the performance mode makes the throttle very twitchy. Fun for short stints or for on-ramp blasting, not for long-distance driving.

After spending a lot of seat time in this car, the interior is still a comfortable, quiet place to be. The engine is just barely audible at highway speeds, and most of the noise in the cabin is road or wind noise. The stock radio sounds fine to my ears, and is easy to use. The controls are mostly intuitive, and nothing is awkwardly placed. One can spend several hours in the car and be fine getting out. The Cruze Eco MT does a fantastic "land yacht" impression when out on the highway.

Handling, ride, and braking have been very good, even on the OEM LRR 215/55-17 V tires. This car is comfortable attacking corners, and has pretty high limits, even with the LRR tires. A mid-corner bump will throw the rear end off a little, but this has improved markedly since everything's had a chance to seat in. The limits of the car are higher than my own. It's a fun car to hustle down a twisty 2-lane. The ride is fine, even over broken surfaces. Most small bumps are more heard than felt, which is nice. Even big bumps don't upset the car. Hitting the bumpstops is a non-event. Braking is very good since adjusting the rear drums early on. They're about due for another adjustment, which is par for the course with drums. The stock pads are FF rated, don't dust that much, are quiet, and have a ton of meat left at 35k miles. The pedal can be easily modulated and has an acceptable amount of feedback.

Chevy still needs to work on the dealer service experience, and making it consistently good. The squeak/rattle issues I fixed myself since it was more hassle dealing with a dealer than DIY'ing. The obvious issues, like a trunk switch or a TPMS sensor were dealt with very well, though.

Overall, I'm still quite happy with my Cruze Eco MT after 35k miles. I'd recommend it to family and friends looking for a fuel-efficient highway/long-distance commuter, with the caveats that it needs synthetic oil, and the OLM is optimistic.

Good to hear....one of my neighbors has a regular 2011 Cruze (LS), and it's holding up very well for him as well..

Seems like there might be one in my driveway next year...

Thank you very much for the update. I really like the Cruze and rented one for a trip last summer and came away impressed. I am seriously considering one after the first of the year.

Just be warned on the fuel economy. The most efficient Cruze model is the Eco with the manual transmission. That model, which I have, will easily top its EPA ratings. The other Cruzes with manual transmissions also easily top their EPA ratings. The automatic Cruzes manage to meet or slightly beat their EPA ratings, but won't handily top them like a manual Cruze will.

And, for potential LS owners with the 1.8l engine, those cars get about 27-29 mpg in real-world mixed driving, and topping 40 mpg highway is a feat in one, even with a manual transmission. The LT automatics average about 32-36 mpg in real-world driving, and routinely top 40 mpg highway. The LS also will need a timing belt at some point, which is a potential large cost down the road.

So, the cheapest Cruze to buy might not be the cheapest one to own. Just something else to know about this car, as it's not a typical GM smaller car, for which I'm thankful!

How is the room in the car?

Looking for something that can fit 4 adults relatively comfortably, but would like to stay small for fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: Scooby
How is the room in the car?

Looking for something that can fit 4 adults relatively comfortably, but would like to stay small for fuel economy.

The front seats are fine for room and comfort. The rear seats haven't elicited complaints from average-sized adults (about 5'10" and 180-200 lbs) on 2 hour trips. My wife always scoots the front seat up "to give [you] some room" over protests from the passenger behind her that they already have plenty of room. There's enough trunk room for 2 large suitcases and 2-3 carryons. I haven't found room to be an issue with it. It's the same size as a mid-00's Accord or Camry.

Bump.

It's been 3 years and 91k miles so far. The Cruze has been the compact that could. The biggest expense so far has been tires, as the OEM ones were getting skittish in the wet. It's needed two water pumps, although the second was a bum part. Third one's been fine so far. Both were replaced under powertrain warranty at no cost to me. Fuel economy is still excellent. It still has no problem beating its 42 mpg highway rating on my daily commute.

The interior is still rattle-free. The clutch pedal has a squeak that comes and goes, although it's mostly gone now after a few shots of Fluid Film. The biggest wear item is the shifter knob, which has lost half its chromed ring. Aside from that, the interior's holding up quite well given the mileage and use this car's seen. Most of those 91k miles have been over some pretty rough 2-lane roads.

Here's to the next 91k miles!

It's needed two water pumps, although the second was a bum part.

With so few miles, I'd say the first one was as well. Although I had to change a water pump on a Chrysler 3.3L V-6 with only 75k miles on it. What's been going on with the pumps? Shaft seal leak? Outer o-ring leak?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
It's needed two water pumps, although the second was a bum part.

With so few miles, I'd say the first one was as well. Although I had to change a water pump on a Chrysler 3.3L V-6 with only 75k miles on it. What's been going on with the pumps? Shaft seal leak? Outer o-ring leak?

Likely a shaft seal that's marginal at best. Probably a cheap bearing got spec'ced to save $0.50 per pump. The pumps all start leaking behind the pulley, some quite quickly. I hope the cost savings covers all the warranty work they've had to do on these. Folks can and have had experiences similar to mine where they've gone through several pumps to find a "good" one. I see that Airtex has released their own version for $35. No telling how good/bad that one is!

Last edited:
5 years and 136k miles later...

Still enjoy driving it. The interior is still rattle-free, although the shifter knob is showing signs of wear and the seat has taken a definite set to my backside.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Opel has a reputation here in Europe for not knowing how to make a water pump... I guess you found that out....

Indeed. Thankfully GM stepped up by extending the warranty on it until 150k miles. Right now the Chinese-made aftermarket pump I installed seems to be doing okay. Maybe it's a part the aftermarket will do better than OEM?

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Opel has a reputation here in Europe for not knowing how to make a water pump... I guess you found that out....

Are you serious ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back