False teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quality in dentistry is all over the place. Sometimes even slip-shod work costs a lot. Be careful choosing a dentist. Some will do work you don't need, they have no shame at all. Look around, a lot.

I suggest you do everything you can to keep your natural teeth. Your teeth are more important to a person's overall general health than most folks realize. Avoid dentures if possible.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Look around, a lot.

+1,000

My old family dentist always said that everything was juuuust fiiiiine. He retired, everyone in the family found new dentists, and our mouths all needed attention! The new dentists were shocked at our dental health. (OK, maybe it's kinda like when the new barber makes fun of your hair, but still.)

On the other hand, I've heard of dentists who... maybe blur the line between the sales and the medical aspects of their job description. Since some dentistry is cosmetic or elective, it gets even more confusing.

Maybe a dentist hasn't kept up on technology since he graduated 25 years ago and there are better options out there that even he hasn't heard of. Here's kind of a related example: a family member of mine had a brain tumor. His doctor said they would do some invasive stuff that I won't even bother to describe, and then it would be 1 or 2 years before he would learn to walk again. He had another doctor look at the scans, he did the surgery through his nostril and he was home in a few days!

No one should ever get the impression that I am anti-medicine. It's just that we're all human and even doctors make mistakes.

We have a place near here called 'Sedation Dentistry.' If you're looking at a full set of crowns or dentures that tells me that you, like I, don't like going to the dentist. You will pay a premium, and they don't really knock you out, but you won't remember a thing and you'll walk out with a good set of teeth. You may even enjoy yourself. Just have someone else drive you home.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Look around, a lot.

+1,000

My old family dentist always said that everything was juuuust fiiiiine. He retired, everyone in the family found new dentists, and our mouths all needed attention! The new dentists were shocked at our dental health. (OK, maybe it's kinda like when the new barber makes fun of your hair, but still.)

On the other hand, I've heard of dentists who... maybe blur the line between the sales and the medical aspects of their job description. Since some dentistry is cosmetic or elective, it gets even more confusing.

Maybe a dentist hasn't kept up on technology since he graduated 25 years ago and there are better options out there that even he hasn't heard of. Here's kind of a related example: a family member of mine had a brain tumor. His doctor said they would do some invasive stuff that I won't even bother to describe, and then it would be 1 or 2 years before he would learn to walk again. He had another doctor look at the scans, he did the surgery through his nostril and he was home in a few days!

No one should ever get the impression that I am anti-medicine. It's just that we're all human and even doctors make mistakes.

Health care providers are required to take CME (continuing medical education) and are required to pass test to keep their license.

I agree everyone no matter who you are will make mistakes.

Looks like I have the option of replacing about 6 crowns or getting false teeth. The money is only part of the equation. Would crowns be better? Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Looks like I have the option of replacing about 6 crowns or getting false teeth. The money is only part of the equation. Would crowns be better? Ed

Depends on the condition of the rest of your teeth, how good the dentist and where the teeth ate located. The only thing I would not do is do say a bridge (missing tooth supported by 2 crowns.) If one goes they all are at risk.

With a crown you are still at risk for a root canal which may (not usually) require another crown or an implant.

I have had 5 teeth pulled since New Years. And my molars were pulled previously. The little lady dentist at the Aspen Dental. I went to. said I would need an upper plate and they worked up a plan. I bailed after a cleaning and an extraction of a tooth that was hurting, Pain was a dull throb and they lally gagged 3 days. The dentist weighed less than 100 pounds. Skinny .frail little thing. Took her forever with a hydraulic power thingy that dug the the tooth out like a tiny backhoe pulling a stump. I was loaded with novacain With this gizmo hanging over me Huge light blinding. I was in pain for 2 weeks. I don't know what she did, but it took 2 weeks for the pain to fade.There was sinus pressure, that took 2 weeks to go away. An oral surgeon needs a strong set of shoulders and arms On a good sturdy frame. A good dentist can pull one of my teeth in about 20 seconds. Not this lady. I was on painkillers from hand surgery when my jaw got infected by 2 teeth. I was feeling fine and the guy loaded me with novacain .and waited patiently for the stuff to work. He grabbed on to a tooth and almost took me out of the chair. I worked mostly some sort of manual labor and my back was still good. So I pulled back and then he twisted that tooth right out with that sickening snap crunch. I don't think it took 10 seconds. Instantaneous relief of pressure. Next one took even less time. Oh, the jaw throbbed when the stuff wore off. Guys who pulled the next one for me were associated with that guy, and they could fit me in on NYrs Eve afternoon. Another workmanlike job. I have a fairly good tolerance for pain, and I heal quickly. Next day back on the job. The lady dentist took too long. I was in her chair for a loooong 20 minutes. Last guy was good . I was in his chair awhile, but he had to deal with an abcess in the jaw, Scarape that hurt. and to do that right he had to take out the stump of an adjacent tooth. This is the cool part. the guy stinted on the novacain, I would have preferred more, but.. I took 2 generic Aleve gel caps when I got to the car. My son was driving, thankfully. The Aleve was working before the novacain wore off and by bed time there was no pain. Bad teeth lead to jaw infections which leads to infected sines. Next stop is the brain. I payed him off and told the lady who took my card.that the recovery time was very short. He's a keeper. My remaining teeth are in tough shape, too little care. Hey, If I knew I was gonna last this long, I woulda taken better care of myself. My Mum is 96 and she has better teeth than I do. I guess the take away from this ramble is to hang onto your teeth. That's what she advised Find a good dentist with big shoulders too.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back