Renewable energy isn't that expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PandaBear

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say.

I hope not. That's why I try to respond point-by, in order to address each individual statement with a response so that misunderstanding doesn't happen.
smile.gif

Based on the California scenario this is what is going on right now:

The government mandate 20% of the energy is from renewable (solar, wind, geothermal, hydro), that includes the home roof top solar being subsidized and / or power purchase agreement, etc.

The hydro is a big help, since it is a much larger contributor. There are markets that don't recognize hydro as renewable, which I feel is quite odd.

EV is federal subsidized at $7500 / car and some people (not all) get additional savings due to low income status.

EV is subsidized here as well. I believe is is around $10,000 when I was looking at the Tesla model S.

Leaf is typically leased at around $200 / month by people commuting 60-80 miles a day, and get to charge at work for about 2-4 hours per day (there are too many EVs), and most importantly, get to ride carpool lane with just the driver. This carpool lane privilege is the reason why people gets EV, not because EV is cheaper to drive or save the earth, free electricity at work is just an icing on the cake.

Ahhh yes, I could certainly see the advantage to that! The DVP (Don Valley Parkway) has those lanes, that are often close to vacant whilst the rest of the traffic is at an almost stand-still.

Sure, gas cost $2.5-3/gal today vs 20c/kwh at lower tier, but it is really the carpool lane sticker that saves people 1 hr of commute time a day that deserves the premium. I would not be surprised if the free charging at work is partly to keep the demand up so solar is not driving the fossil fuel plants out of business.
Nice theory
thumbsup2.gif
Gas costs seem to vary wildly state to state. I see it at just over $2.00 in Maryland right now, and just under in Dallas. Some of the other states are more expensive.

No one is talking about going 100% renewable, because it wouldn't work. Even as liberal as California the government mandate is only 20%, no guaranteed 40c/kwh, and residential is already offering (not mandate) time based rate.

Well, perhaps California isn't talking about it but Denmark has already made that commitment as have other European nations. The problem of course is that it really isn't viable, so they end up buying power out of country via interconnects and paying a premium, which drives up rates. That's how Denmark ended up with the most expensive electricity in Europe with an average rate of $0.45/KWh. Speaking about the situation in my own area, the rate guarantee was not only here in Ontario (our local utility gets a guaranteed $0.42/KWh for their solar farm for the next 20 years) but also in places like Australia, who had similar compensation agreements that ran as high as $0.60/KWh for solar. The idea was that these incentives would aide in the quick adoption/installation of these technologies but of course the side effect was that somebody has to pay for it.

People who install roof top solar typically only install just enough to cover their higher tier rate (i.e. they only install enough so they are paying the first 200kwh at 16-24c/kwh but not the last 100kwh at 40-60c/kwh, so they install only 100kw on the roof). Even then I still don't see solar panel on most residential roof top.

Because of the price of course. The ROI just isn't there. Solar is a poor generator, wind is significantly better and even it lags the staples by a pretty wide margin.

My PG&E smart rate plan is around 16c/kwh during normal time and 60c/kwh during smart days from 2-7pm, for 15 smart days per summer. If I am not on Smart rate my flat rate would have been 2c/kwh more, any time of the day every day. This leads me to believe that at some point PGE is paying 60c/kwh during those days. With some used Leaf selling for as low as $7000 here, I would think it make sense to buy and drive a used Leaf, charge at work, and sign up for Smart rate plan, and if you have some money to play with, install a small solar panel on your roof.

They also just build a new gas peaker at Lodi, supposedly with fast ramp up (a couple hours) and around 50% efficiency, at around $1300/kw.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/energy/2013/10/131031-flex-power-plants-california/

http://www.powermag.com/topplantslodi-energy-center-lodi-california/?pagenum=2

Sounds like your rates are even higher than mine. We used to pay around $0.07/KWh back in 2006. Peak was around maybe 11 cents? It was not expensive. Even now, the actual cost of electricity is small. It is the "Global Adjustment" on our bills, which is added to the per hour rate, that drives up the cost. This "Adjustment" is what is paying for the Green Energy installs and their excessive compensation. It is a disgusting game of politics with the consumer ultimately footing the bill. When you commit 100 billion you don't have to energy you don't need, somebody has to pay that cost and ultimately it has been passed down onto us. As I said, I'd buy a Tesla Model S in a heartbeat if I was still paying the 2006 rates. Given the cost of gas, the car would pay for itself in short order. It is rather tragic that the government doesn't see this nonsense. They are actually hurting EV sales with their policies.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
You should know that nighttime power usage is much less than daytime, my guess is nighttime is about 1/5 daytime.

Well your guess just about settles it doesn't it ???

Hard to argue with solid facts like that.

To you, power usage is the same regardless time of day ? All businesses are running 24/7 ? All manufacture plants are running 24/7 ?

My guess of nighttime = 1/5 daytime is based on my personal winter use, actually from 10 PM to 10 AM we use 1/8 of total daily. In Summer we even use much less at night, only 1/20 to 1/30.

To you, power usage is the same regardless time of day ? All businesses are running 24/7 ? All manufacture plants are running 24/7 ?

Nice try Jimmy, read my post on the duck curve...

remember, I'm watching all this in real time, more than a quarter century of my life in power.

Your made up "1/5" is what I take exception to, NOT that there's peak and off peak. Made up "facts" to present a point are simply made up nonsense.

when you get your Tesla (when's the delivery date again), your model of filling it up off peak at cheap rates will have already started to disappear.

You should know that nighttime power usage is much less than daytime, my guess is nighttime is about 1/5 daytime.

Didn't you read my previous post above ?

I said in very simple sentence "my guess is nighttime is about 1/5 daytime."

Did I said "nighttime is 1/5 daytime" ?

The two sentences are much difference, 1 is fact and 1 is a guess/estimate.

I then posted that I based my 1/5 guess on my personal usage during winter months, not summer months when I may use a lot more power to run A/C during the day when temperature was above 85-90F.

Didn't you read my previous post above ?

I said in very simple sentence "my guess is nighttime is about 1/5 daytime."

Did I said "nighttime is 1/5 daytime" ?

The two sentences are much difference, 1 is fact and 1 is a guess/estimate.

OK, I'm typing this very very slowly...

Why on earth would you base your argument on how peak and off peak pricing works on "your guess" at 1/5, based on your AC usage, when you can use Google (which you are apparently very very good at), and find out an actual fact on the typical ratio ?

BTW, when's the delivery date for the Tesla...a LOT changes in energy markets in 12-18 months.

OK you say it is not 1/5. what is it then? 1/4? 1/3? 1/2? 1/1?

If I thought the numbers were 1/2 I would have listed them with the proof. On the other hand, if the numbers are 1/4 I would be playing coy and claiming that 1/5 numbers are wrong.

The load profile for a utility is both seasonal and regional. I worked a couple summers for Commonwealth Edison back in college (late 1970s) and the average nighttime load was 40% of the daytime load. That changed in summer of course. But for ComEd (back then) the big factor during the day were the Chicago steel mills.

I got the job with ComEd because they had seriously overbuilt their base load generating capacity and were cycling large coal fired plants at night. That wasn't working too well and they needed to find a way to do it better.

Here's a graph of my average hourly usage for the month of August.

The after 10 pm ramp up is the AC being knocked down from 77f to 74f.

when you get your Tesla (when's the delivery date again), your model of filling it up off peak at cheap rates will have already started to disappear.

I'm not sure that'll ever happen here. A/C load alone will make that an impossibility. Most factories, office buildings and still the residential have very light load 10pm to 6am

Originally Posted By: Vikas
OK you say it is not 1/5. what is it then? 1/4? 1/3? 1/2? 1/1?

If I thought the numbers were 1/2 I would have listed them with the proof. On the other hand, if the numbers are 1/4 I would be playing coy and claiming that 1/5 numbers are wrong.

if the 1/5 number WAS right, the fact that it was plucked out of a fundamental orifice to provide credence to an argument still makes it wrong, when he could easily have done some research and had a foundation for the argument.

That's the problem with you three...specious "facts"...then accusations that I'm offering biased data based on where I work.

http://www.eia.gov/beta/realtime_grid/#/...&regions=01

Get your "facts" straight, then present the argument...don't just make stuff up, then use "I made it up" as a defence.

See, instead of what you posted (really 1/4), you could have found some to defend Jimmy with, couldn't you ?

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

I'm not sure that'll ever happen here. A/C load alone will make that an impossibility. Most factories, office buildings and still the residential have very light load 10pm to 6am

Off peak requires that thermals are idling overnight, and trying to encourage consumption to avoid shutting down and the costs of two shifting.

As renewables push thermals out (unlike HTSS-TR's world, they don't sit there waiting for a non windy day), then they are required to run "baseload" overnight, as solar does a lot during the day...

My point is that eventually the electricity used overnight either comes from simple cycle GTs, or storage, both of which are WAY more expensive than today's off peak...It's why they are introducing time of use metering, trying to get customers to demand side manage the load profile.

My point is, buying an EV for the future, using the last decade's model of the energy market, while wishing for a "green energy" future is not understanding the fundamentals.

Who's making stuff up when they are saying 100% renewables? Or using projections 20 years into the future?

if the 1/5 number WAS right, the fact that it was plucked out of a fundamental orifice to provide credence to an argument still makes it wrong, when he could easily have done some research and had a foundation for the argument.

That's the problem with you three...specious "facts"...then accusations that I'm offering biased data based on where I work.

http://www.eia.gov/beta/realtime_grid/#/...&regions=01

Get your "facts" straight, then present the argument...don't just make stuff up, then use "I made it up" as a defence.

See, instead of what you posted (really 1/4), you could have found some to defend Jimmy with, couldn't you ?

He was directionally correct with his point. Something that should have been pointed out long ago.

Since he's not writing a 20 year plan for a transition to renewables for the state of California, I think we should let it slide.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if a transition plan should be 20 years or longer or shorter. I just plucked that number out of a fundamental orifice.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
He was directionally correct with his point. Something that should have been pointed out long ago.

while claiming that I was stating that there was no peak/off peak...

edit...and there is NO transition plan...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Who's making stuff up when they are saying 100% renewables? Or using projections 20 years into the future?

If you read the thread, I am pointing to the fact that
a) Renewables, while they are in disruptive phase can be cheap (title of the thread).
b) Renewables, while they are in disruptive phase push out traditional generation
c) That when enough traditional generation is gone, renewables MUST step up to the plate, and provide that load that they've displaced; or
d) that missing load has to be so expensive that nobody wants to buy it and makes other arrangements.
e) that I am watching this in real time in South Australia.

I'm not making South Australia up...it has followed that process exactly...30c/KWh wholesale prices on a Saturday afternoon of a long weekend clearly demonstrate that the market has changed in the last decade...simply by the inclusion of "cheap" renewables...no long term planning necessary...

You could also ready the links I posted to the study by the Electricity Market regulator...

a) Renewables, while they are in disruptive phase can be cheap (title of the thread).
b) Renewables, while they are in disruptive phase push out traditional generation
c) That when enough traditional generation is gone, renewables MUST step up to the plate, and provide that load that they've displaced; or
d) that missing load has to be so expensive that nobody wants to buy it and makes other arrangements.

I'm not making South Australia up...it has followed that process exactly...30c/KWh wholesale prices on a Saturday afternoon of a long weekend clearly demonstrate that the market has changed in the last decade...simply by the inclusion of "cheap" renewables...no long term planning necessary...

You could also ready the links I posted to the study by the Electricity Market regulator...
So where is the plan for 100% renewables. base load isn't going anywhere. Coal may but Nat Gas and Nuclear are here to stay.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

while claiming that I was stating that there was no peak/off peak...

edit...and there is NO transition plan...

I knew I should have added to my disclaimer that I wasn't implying there is a transition plan.

30c/KWh... Dude... Not something to brag about.
eek.gif

Currently, I'm seeing the utility charge 60c during peak on fossil fuel during a hot summer afternoon, OR charge 2c extra throughout the year to make up for the massive lost from their 60c during those peak hot summer afternoon, on fossil fuel.

My point is, load is not stable to begin with, and fossil fuel or renewable both have to deal with this, via wasteful idle capacity or wasteful efficiency lost in generation. The future is variable load demand and variable load supply in combination. Charing a flat rate regardless of time is going to be a past time because meter readers are gone and smart meter is cheap. People will need to buy electric dryer and oven with timer, and maybe even EV, or pay a premium in electricity, fossil fuel or not.

And solar subsidies will soon eventually to an end like the subsidies on hybrid cars 10 years ago. People who need them will pay full price (but much lower than today's price) if they want it.

Last edited:

Currently, I'm seeing the utility charge 60c during peak on fossil fuel during a hot summer afternoon, OR charge 2c extra throughout the year to make up for the massive lost from their 60c during those peak hot summer afternoon, on fossil fuel.

My point is, load is not stable to begin with, and fossil fuel or renewable both have to deal with this, via wasteful idle capacity or wasteful efficiency lost in generation. The future is variable load demand and variable load supply in combination. Charing a flat rate regardless of time is going to be a past time because meter readers are gone and smart meter is cheap. People will need to buy electric dryer and oven with timer, and maybe even EV, or pay a premium in electricity, fossil fuel or not.

And solar subsidies will soon eventually to an end like the subsidies on hybrid cars 10 years ago. People who need them will pay full price (but much lower than today's price) if they want it.

So because I was robbed and violated ten years ago with "global adjustment", now makes it right?

Please, tell that to a sexual assault victim, and let us know how it goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back