Butcher factory cooler lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I finally found time to get my OEM transmission cooler hooked up on my F150 (no tow package originally, so just the in-rad stock). Very excited, as it was all SUPPOSED to be plug and play. Unfortunately the combination line/hose which runs downstream of the cooler and hooks into the return pipe to the transmission using Fords lovely quick connects is the wrong part. FWIW, I have 7B028-G and needed 7B028-B... Close, but the cooler pipe (pn 7r081) is identical between the super cooling and standard cooling packages.

I *could* cut the return pipe downstream of the quick connect as it has a short section of rubber hose to allow for flex and just run a regular hose from the cooler to the return pipe with a barb splice... But then it wouldn't be factory plug and play. The CORRECT tube seems to run $40 or more but the part numbers really don't seem to work out 100% of the time. The return pipe is $80-$100, though I cannot for the life of me think of a reason I would need to revert to stock...

I wonder if by cutting the pipe and using rubber pipe that you would be introducing a possible failure point in the system?

Any chance you could take the return line off and take it in to a hose builder to have an appropriate end put on for a permanent, worry free connection?

I would scratch the idea of returning to stock, but retain the idea of highly reliable "factory-like" connections.

I could do that, but maybe it would be just as effective to cut the hardline, throw a flare on it and clamp on rubber... Instead of trying a barb fitting rubber to rubber?

I have done this on several trucks over the years. Never had a catastrophic failure - but had to tighten clamps with minor leaks - so, think good hoses and clamps - if they don't look good I reach for Gates ...
My GMC has both a TruCool cooler and Derale filter - so lots of hose. I put flexible conduit over the hose if it rubs.

What is the proper name for a barb fitting with 1/2 inch hose barb on each end? Male to male barb fitting?

Male to male barb fitting for your tranny (hope there is no restroom issue.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Male to male barb fitting for your tranny (hope there is no restroom issue.
wink.gif

I think this is actually R/S/P all at the same time
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: buck91
What is the proper name for a barb fitting with 1/2 inch hose barb on each end? Male to male barb fitting?

when I was in the hyd industry we called them hose menders. The supplier we got then from used hm then the size to code them. ie HM-150 for 1.5". HM-050 for half inch.

Originally Posted By: DeafBrad
I wonder if by cutting the pipe and using rubber pipe that you would be introducing a possible failure point in the system?

We have done this to fleet trucks for decades to facilitate servicing the transmission. Never had a failure, you must use the proper hose. I tighten the clamps every oil change...

I have never seen a barbed female fitting. The AT cooler lines on my 04 Camry V6 are hard piped out of the cooler but then short pieces of hose are used to connect to the AT hard plumbing. I doubt that there is 30 psig in the cooler circuit so almost any arrangement you use will more than suffice if you use quality components. I would find Mubea type hose clamps and avoid screw type clamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back