95 Ford Ranger - Runs rough, no power

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 95 Ford Ranger 2.3l has started running rough. The power band seems to surge through acceleration and the truck is slower than normal. I've noticed my gas mileage has dropped off. Sometimes when I get back on the throttle after a shift, I hear an audible pop from the engine bay. The truck has 185k miles and never had a tune up. Is that what it needs?

You need to go through a complete diagnostic process starting with a compression test.

Clean the MAF and make sure there isn't fuel in the line between fuel pressure regulator and intake.

Just because you havent. Cap rotor plugs and wires. I prefer 8mm+ wires and a 40k Volt or more coil. Set plug gap at .060(only set that gap if you buy the hotter coil, otherwise stick to stock gap). Most likely all you need are plugs. Once you got that dialed in Change your fuel filter and air filter clean that maf sensor when you change the air filter. Clean your throttle body also. (don't know if you have in the last while). And check your timing afterwards.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Superflop
Cap rotor plugs and wires.

No cap/rotor on this engine. They have coil packs and 8 plugs. 2 plugs per cylinder.

Last edited:
85K miles overdue for a tune up could definitely be a contributing factor.

The t-belt should be done every 120K as well. It's a non-interference engine, but a sloppy old belt won't help it either.

A whole lot of things could be at fault though. Does it ever throw a check engine light? You'll need a Ford-specific code reader, but they are only around $30 at any parts store. You probably have some sort of dummy OBD connector on the dash, but your actual connector is under the hood near the fuse box on a '95. You can use a jumper wire to get the computer to flash the OBD codes with the CEL, but $30 for a digital read out scan tool that comes with a book of all the codes isn't a bad deal IMO.

What's the general maintenance history? Do you know when the fuel filter was last replaced? If you don't, I'd replace the fuel filter before even touching the plugs and wires. A basic "Pro Select" or whatever fuel filter is less than $10 for these trucks and is easy to replace.

Since we're all loading up our parts shotguns, I'd take a look at your coilpack(s); they're one of Ford's more [censored] designs. Luckily you can visually inspect the underside for cracks.

Obviously it's due for plugs as well.

Are you using conventional or synthetic?

I'm kidding. That dart hadn't been thrown yet so I thought I'd join in. You're overdue for pretty much every maintenance item on the vehicle so I think I'd start basic, cheap, and easy and work my way up from there. How can you point to weak fuel pressure when you haven't even changed a spark plug in 185k?

I love this topic! Did anybody mention distributor? I had 1983 Prelude and I had to repair the distributor. I think OP should replace his distributor.

I also had a parking brake sticking. He should replace cable going to rear wheel too.

Another suggestion is to replace the computer. I think it has just gotten tired after running so many years.

Come on guys, help him out with good suggestions like I did.

Last edited:
The ford 2.0/2.3/2.5 lima has not had a distributor since 1989. The ranger started with one coil pack for all four cylinders, one spark plug each. Then around 1991, they had 2 coil packs, and 8 plugs and wires(4 on the passenger side are the "main plugs" the 4 on the driver side are the "booster plugs".) ALL 8 plugs and wires and BOTH coil packs MUST be in good condition! Otherwise, the engine will run like c.r.a.p.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
I love this topic! Did anybody mention distributor? I had 1983 Prelude and I had to repair the distributor. I think OP should replace his distributor.

I also had a parking brake sticking. He should replace cable going to rear wheel too.

Another suggestion is to replace the computer. I think it has just gotten tired after running so many years.

Come on guys, help him out with good suggestions like I did.

Good suggestions, where?? I have never had to replace a distributor. He needs to perform overdue maintenance and then follow proper diagnosis procedures and not throw un-necessary money down the drain. The basics first, plugs and fuel filter seem long overdue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back