Y'all need neighbors like this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/...-with-one-shot/

Quote:

I go on minding my business, working on my .410 shotgun and the next thing I know I hear ‘bzzzzz,’" she said. "This thing is going down through the field, and they’re buzzing like you would scaring the cows."

Youngman explained that she grew up hunting and fishing in Virginia, and she was well-practiced at skeet and deer shooting.

“This drone disappeared over the trees and I was cleaning away, there must have been a five- or six-minute lapse, and I heard the ‘bzzzzz,’" she said, noting that she specifically used 7.5 birdshot. “I loaded my shotgun and took the safety off, and this thing came flying over my trees. I don’t know if they lost command or if they didn’t have good command, but the wind had picked up. It came over my airspace, 25 or 30 feet above my trees, and hovered for a second. I blasted it to smithereens.”

Last edited:
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Congratulations! She committed a Federal crime!

Hardly.

Read and enjoy being wrong.

That thing wasn't an aircraft as defined in the Federal statutes.

And at that altitude, I think she's got a claim for trespassing, after all, the SCOTUS defined airspace up to 83 feet as being property.

At the very least, the drone was harassing her. If the guys who owned the drone had a case, they would've filed by now...

Last edited:
Congratulations! She committed a Federal crime!
The average person commits three a day. Good shoot. I wonder if she used anti-drone loads?

" This statute now also makes it a Federal offense to commit an act of violence against any person on the aircraft, not simply crew members, if the act is likely to endanger the safety of the aircraft.

So how many people and crew were on the "aircraft" granny shot down?

"destruction of any aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States or any civil aircraft used"

This applies to RC planes, RC rotorcraft, and RC "drones." (small UAS) All 3 are classified as aircraft.

Here is the FAA's summary regarding UAS operation: Summary of the Small UAS Rule

Ignorance and law breaking on the behalf of the operator does not lend itself to aircraft sabatoge or vigilante "justice."

If it was a conventional RC biplane or similar would you will be so thrilled it was shot out of the air? The media has demonized the UAS, but there is no difference between the two with regard to law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back