Gene Wilder Dies at 83

Status
Not open for further replies.
frown.gif

Mongo likes you!

Must watch all his movies this weekend...

Holy smokes, didn't know he was that old when I saw some of his old movies from the 80's
frown.gif

very funny and charasmatic guy!

That's sad.

According to the Oz news services, it was quietly, holding his wife's hand, while "Somewhere over the Rainbow" was on the radio...

Was his time, but still sad.

My condolences and all that..but I really hated his work.

He was a non-talent if ever there was one.

Why the industry would shove someone like him down our throats is beyond me.

Two Oscar noms..my foot!

The news article I read contained a paragraph on why his Alzheimer's disease was not generally disclosed. The paragraph ended with... the statement read. "He simply couldn't bear the idea of one less smile in the world."

The guy had class.
RIP
Thanks for the laughs, they were priceless.

Sad; I grew up with Willy Wonka. Just a sign that I am aging myself because most of the actors/actresses of my childhood are slowly leaving. RIP Gene and thanks for all of the wonderful memories.

I always thought that he had a great comic ability that was both a bit weird...and delightful. A few months ago, I was wondering what he'd been up to since I hadn't heard from him in a while. I had found one of his last interviews on the internet. He looked frail and a bit distant. I knew from watching him that he was nearing the end of his days...and it saddened me. But I came away from watching the interview that I had never realized what a profoundly kind hearted man he was. Gentle, calm, considerate. He basically didn't do films for years because he thought the swearing and violence was something he didn't want to be a part of.

A decent man....and honestly...a loss to humanity.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I always thought that he had a great comic ability that was both a bit weird...and delightful. A few months ago, I was wondering what he'd been up to since I hadn't heard from him in a while. I had found one of his last interviews on the internet. He looked frail and a bit distant. I knew from watching him that he was nearing the end of his days...and it saddened me. But I came away from watching the interview that I had never realized what a profoundly kind hearted man he was. Gentle, calm, considerate. He basically didn't do films for years because he thought the swearing and violence was something he didn't want to be a part of.

He was a real life fit for the Willy Wonka character...

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Very well written, sir.

His first film role, I think, or first important one, was as the hapless accountant or attorney that Bonnie and Clyde essentially kidnap along with his girlfriend, and take for a scary ride during a run from the law. Though I had seen that film when it was new, I didn't remember him when he made a big splash in the original The Producers. To me, Victor Frahn-ken-shteen in Young Frankenstein really is his signature role. ("Put -- the candle -- back!!!")

Didn't he also do a limited TV series, on PBS perhaps, playing a theater director/amateur detective?

ETA: No, a TV movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0171546/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back