Can I use lower weight ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Let's say my car manufacturer "recommends" 10W30 for my car. I went to a hardware store and there were a huge engine oil sale, but only for 0W30 and 5W30. So my question is, can I use those engine oil even the first number is lower than the one recommended by the car manufacturer ?

It's not related to my car. I'm just curious because all these oil suppose to have the same characteristic at operational temperature. And I wondering if the first number could play some role for the same operational temperature.

Yes, there are no problems in going thinner with the first number in cold temps the oil will flow much better, the viscosity at operating temperature might be just slightly thinner with the 0w30 but it will still give better high temp protection because 99.9% of 0W-30 oils will be full synthetics , which are far superior to a conventional 10w30 .
A good 5w30 like Mobil 1 or Pennzoil platinum will be superior to a Conventional 10w30 too, so if you can get it for cheap do it.

Originally Posted By: ST2008
Hi

Let's say my car manufacturer "recommends" 10W30 for my car. I went to a hardware store and there were a huge engine oil sale, but only for 0W30 and 5W30. So my question is, can I use those engine oil even the first number is lower than the one recommended by the car manufacturer ?

Where is the hardware store located?

Hi

Yep.

If you are in a really cold area, it carries some strong benefits doing so.

If in a really hot area, some (small) disadvantages.

All in all, 'though particularly with the 0W generally better.

Originally Posted By: GSCJR

Where is the hardware store located?

In my imaginary world
48.gif
. But in my real world, I bought two boxes of 6 liters of M1 AFE 0W30 from Walmart two weeks ago. It was online clearance, 36$ by box.

The M1 synthetic automatic transmission fluid is still on sale. 30$ for a box of 6 liters!!!
shocked.gif
Unfortunately the trans fluid is not compatible with my Civic.
frown.gif

http://www.walmart.ca/search/mobil 1/N-32

Generally speaking, yes, you can, but you do have to still pay attention to specifications. If your engine is diesel and you require an ordinary HDEO and you're using a 10w-30 HDEO, a 0w-30 HDEO would be a suitable substitution. GC 0w-30 might even be a suitable substitution (although costly as heck). M1 AFE 0w-30 SN/GF-5 wouldn't be a great idea, not being intended for that application at all.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Generally speaking, yes, you can, but you do have to still pay attention to specifications. If your engine is diesel and you require an ordinary HDEO and you're using a 10w-30 HDEO, a 0w-30 HDEO would be a suitable substitution. GC 0w-30 might even be a suitable substitution (although costly as heck). M1 AFE 0w-30 SN/GF-5 wouldn't be a great idea, not being intended for that application at all.

This
thumbsup2.gif

Wouldn't a typical 0W30/5W30 (in synthetics or blends) is more susceptible to shear thinning compared to 10W30 ?

Originally Posted By: zeng
Wouldn't a typical 0W30/5W30 (in synthetics or blends) is more susceptible to shear thinning compared to 10W30 ?

a dino 10w30 would need as much VII as a synthetic 5w30 or 10w30. so I'd say the chance of shearing is about the same. But the 5w/0w30 would use thinner bas stocks so if shearing does occur you would likely end up with a thinner oil.

To avoid this, don't get an ILSAC 0W/5W30 which shear by design.

As long as it's not with an ilsac rating there's no concern. If it does have an ilsac rating there could be concern. Really, it depends on the engine in question.

In simple words, Is it ok to use 0W/5W30 in a 10W30 engine or not ?

In the hypothetical situation that you presented for your car requiring 10W30, and the hypothetical hardware store having a hypothetical 0W and 5W30 sale only, then we need some answers to what the hypothetical situation might in fact be.

Does your hypothetical car, hypothetically call for a GF series economy oil, or an A3/B4, or C3 ACEA oil ?

Do the hypothetical oils at the hypothetical hardware store meet the specified requirements ?

If the hypothetical car needs an ACEA A3/B5, or C3, and the hypothetical hardware store only carries ILSAC oils, then not a good idea...the other way around, then no issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back