Amsoil 0W-30 Honda S2000 40,259 OCI w/bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the latest UOA on my 2003 Honda S2000 taken when the car had 353,310 miles with an OCI of 40,259 miles. The car has an Amsoil Dual Remote Bypass Filter and a prelube pump which was installed when the car was almost new.
02dba9bc-bcdb-408e-986f-c370f1c29239_zpsgdrqjfhq.jpg

The car started consuming a lot more oil during this OCI (a little over 2 years). I'm not sure what's causing this. The car run's great, doesn't create any blue smoke and the plugs look normal. I haven't done anything to the engine except a valve adjustment at 200K miles. I replaced the PCV valve and that didn't help. It's possible that I have worn valve stem seals but since the engine is not misbehaving and I don't have any noises during deceleration I'm in no hurry to pull the head apart to change them.

Why don't you try Amsoil 5W40 ? Since you already changed your oil, from now on top off with 5W40 to see if it will reduce oil consumption ?

As usual, very low wear metals after 40k miles.

Sounds like a PCV catch can might be a good idea, four quarts per 10K is a fairly high number, wonder if it could be rings & the cat is burning it/preventing blue smoke?

To me, it is not really a 40k OCI, since you changed the oil three times already without draining it, assuming it takes 5.5-6 qts each oil change.

I wouldn't change the oil at all, just keep it topped off and you are good. Check back when you reach 100k OCI
smile.gif

After each quart add you have diluted the original oil to 81% (4.5/5.5). So after 10,000 miles and four quarts you have diluted the original oil to .81 to the fourth power or 43%.

After 40,000 miles you are at 3% of the original oil.

Seems like you could do this forever without change the oil. This doesn't take into account the further dilution by changing the filter.

Thanks for the feedback.
smile.gif

I don't want to go to a heavier oil (XW-40) because this Amsoil bypass filter has a proportioning valve that increases backpressure. A thicker oil will result in more oil getting through the pressure relief valve, not into the engine at cold starts. Besides - my prelube pump takes a long time on cold winter days to build pressure. I'd expect it to take even longer with an XW-40 oil.

I'm not convinced that the increased oil usage is ring wear. In fact, I doubt it. This bypass filter removes particulates down to around 2 microns, so cylinder wear is likely minimal. It's more likely stuck or gummed up compression rings and/or oil control rings. My bypass filter doesn't remove sub-micronic particles so soot could build up over time. The oil gets pretty dark well into the OCI.

This car runs great. It always starts on the first engine rotation and never misfires. Even with a warm engine on humid days, it fires right up. The F20C engine in this car is known to burn oil anyway.

The primary reason I put this system on the car was to get the engine to last as long as possible with minimal maintenance. Since this engine has CRM (carbon reinforced matrix) cylinder walls, getting it rebored isn't an option. It's a lot easier and more cost effective to put a bypass filter on the engine. Sure, there was no guarantee that my setup would extend the life of the engine but knowing I was going to put a lot of miles on this car, I decided to try it.

i also like the idea of a PCV catch can to see if that where the consumption is. Save all your OEM tubing so you can put it back if u want.

350,000 miles on original cats?

Well as I recall,all S2000 engines call for 10w30 and I am sure a 10w will have lower Noack than Amsoil 0w30. Might try going back to the factory 10w30 weight in Amsoil maybe?

Yes, Honda recommends 10W30 for warmer climate above 0F and 5W40 for below 0F. Honda is very clear about these two grades for S2000.

One should not put thicker oil because of the oil consumption. Oil consuption is always only a symptom and there is no benefit on treating the symtom. You need to find the cause and decide weather you treat it or not. Having said that, yeah you are burning a lot of oil unless you redline and apply full throttle really often! But as you said, I would keep track of that on this stage.

Originally Posted By: nickolas84
One should not put thicker oil because of the oil consumption. Oil consuption is always only a symptom and there is no benefit on treating the symtom. You need to find the cause and decide weather you treat it or not. Having said that, yeah you are burning a lot of oil unless you redline and apply full throttle really often! But as you said, I would keep track of that on this stage.

The S2000 AP1 (from 2000 to 2003) are known to consume good amount of oil during normal OCI of 7500 miles.

Also, Honda does recommend 5W40 for all S2000 (AP1 and AP2) in colder climate (below 0F). If 5W40 can be used in colder climate why not use it year round ?

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
....350,000 miles on original cats?

Yes, the cat is original. However I have a replacement cat, manifold and cat back exhaust sitting on a shelf ready to drop in when needed. I had to disconnect everything when I replaced the clutch at 330,000 miles. It's all still functional but the exhaust flanges have seen better days.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Also, Honda does recommend 5W40 for all S2000 (AP1 and AP2) in colder climate (below 0F). If 5W40 can be used in colder climate why not use it year round ?

This is one of those things that's been debated endlessly. Honda also recommended 5W-40 all year in other parts of the world, supposedly. I run M1 0W-40 in mine all year. If it didn't see the track, I'd probably have 10W-30 in it, but it does.

robert

slalom44,
You should try a 10/40. Using 0/30 with all that make up oil really skewers your numbers, like tbn and others. If going to a 10/40 slows down the oil consumption, thats good and if it dosn't than you can top off with the 0/30 and be right back where you are now in no time.

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back