Simple oil question, Honda GCV 160

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there!

I just bought a new mower with a Honda GCV 160 engine. First non electric mower...and I'm a bit confused. I started by the owner manual, it isn't an expensive mower, but I always try do maintain my equipment the best I can. I am going to do the first oil change, after the recommended 5 hours on the factory fill. Doesn't look very complicated hopefully
smile.gif

It calls for 5W30, 10W30 or SAE30 oil, with API SJ at least (lol).

I live in a country where all I can get is SAE30 for classic cars (non detergent or mild detergent), 10W30 does not exist at all, and 0W30/5W30 is for DPF diesel (ACEA C2 and C3 oil)... I was looking for something like an ACEA A3/B4 oil in 5W30 (or 0W30), but wasn't able to find some, except online.

Since I have plenty 0W40 leftover from various oil change like M1 0W40, SHU 0W40, Motul 8100 0W40, etc, can I use it without afterthought in my mower? I guess as soon as the engine will start the oil will turn into a 30
laugh.gif

Or should I wait to receive an online order?

Apologies if the question is stupid, but it is my first small engine...

cheers3.gif

Personally, I would happily run the 0W40. Especially since you have it already. If you're at all nervous about the thicker grade (I wouldn't be), I'd buy one quart of 5W20 to cut it slightly.

These Honda engines are not picky at all about oil. I use whatever I have on hand in my GCV160. I currently have 5w40 in it. I would use a 0w40 without hesitation.

Thank you for the answers, I will run the 0W40 leftovers in it then!
5W20 oils are even harder to find, except maybe in Ford dealership.

For the future, is it better to buy for example a specific 5W30 (or 0W30, sometimes cheaper), or use whatever leftover I'll have?
And are low SAPS oils ok for this engine?

Run any detergent oil you can get. 30 weight, 40 weight, doesn't matter. A diesel rated 5W30 will be fine. A 0W40 will be excellent as well.

I'm running SAE30 in mine because I had half a bottle on the shelf when I changed the oil last. The next oil change it is going to get 5W-30 since I have an extra bottle already.

I run 0w-40 Castrol (as I have some sitting around) in my mower and my generator, both using the GCV 160

They are one pull start engines, no issues what so ever.

I have two of these motors, one on a push mower and one on a pressure washer. Both are five or more years old, neither use any oil to speak of, and their oil still looks pretty clean at the end of each season. I feed them Mobil1 5w30, FS, but will be switching to Mobil1 5w30 HM just to consolidate the oil stash. I've never seen the need to move up to xw40 for the Honda powered OPE, but I do run that in all of my flathead B&S and Tecumseh powered OPE. Those other motors all seem to dirty their oil pretty quickly in comparison to the Honda powered machines. In all fairness, all of those other machines are much older.

Last edited:
I have the same engine in my mower. I run SuperTech (Walmart) 10W-30 full synthetic in mine. It's easy to get over yonder. In your case, I'd be inclined to agree with everyone else that 0W-40 would probably be fine. The manual from my snowblower (Snotek/Ariens) recommends 5w-30. My guess is it has to do with ambient temps in which the engine is likely operating. So, a higher viscosity oil will do fine in warmer temps.

Alternatively, perhaps check out some places that sell/service outdoor power equipment and see what they recommend or sell. I'm nearly certain I can buy Honda branded 10W-30 (no idea who makes it or the specs) at the local Home Depot.

I have that engine in my Toro. Just make sure you dump the initial fill at the specified time. You'll be amazed how many shiny metal fragments will be in the oil. After that, you're good to go. I'm using Pennzoil YB 10W30 in mine.

After reading your comments (thank you for commenting :)), I'm going to dump the FF after the first use (like 2h on the engine). The quantity it takes is ridiculous, and it'll give me peace of mind.

I'm going to try to find some xW30 oil, but if I haven't find some before the weekend, 0W40 it will be !

Last I checked the 160 Honda runs on the cylinder block, no iron liner.
I run 5w-40 diesel oil in mine. Have done so for years.
May change to 15W-40 as my mower is mostly for trimming the last couple of years.

Just bought a mower with the same engine here in the USA, I plan on using Rotella 10w30 or the likes of whatever I can find in a small quart/liter container HEDO of that weight. Do you not have that available over there?

Last edited:
Actually I think I can get some HDEO locally! Never thought of 5W30 or 10W30 HDEO, but maybe I can get that.
Thank you for the suggestion, completely forgot this option.

My ~17yr/old Honda GCV 160 has had 15w40 for the past 10yrs. Prior to that it saw 5w or 10w30. Which ever I had on hand. I don't think I've changed it's oil in 5yrs.
eek.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Popsy
Actually I think I can get some HDEO locally! Never thought of 5W30 or 10W30 HDEO, but maybe I can get that.
Thank you for the suggestion, completely forgot this option.

Welcome!
For what its worth I just went to our local Walmart to pick up a quart of oil for the Honda 160 engine on my Honda mower, changing it today as required within the first month or 5 hours.
I picked up the one HEDO I could get in a quart bottle in 10w30 and that was the new (?) Delo 400XLE synblend HEDO. API Rated CI4, CJ4 and SM.

I FIRMLY believe ANY HEDO oils are better for power equipment around the home or business, nice robust additive package, meets the heavy duty commercial requirements and also the less stringent recommended automotive requirements, you cant go wrong.

One other thing, I did notice Hondas oil weight recommendation chart allows a straight 30 weight if above 50 F degrees or so. I would never/dont see any sense to use a straight weight but does lead me to this.
My past Briggs and Stratton engine mower, I always used 15/40 HEDO oils and after 10 years the mower NEVER used a drop of oil. Being I live in a HOT summer climate, come next spring I honestly do not think it will matter if I use a 10/30 or 15/40 as the 15/40 most likely will perform close to what a straight 30 does as I cut my lawn in 90 to 103 F degree weather.
With that said, I strongly believe in following the recommended oil so since the 10/30 HEDO is so easy to find I may stay with it. Only reason I was thinking otherwise is Hondas chart shows the oils up to and around 100F temperature and I cut my lawn at and around that temperature so a 40 maynot be all that off. AGAIN, most likley with stay with the 10/30 HEDO, just saying for those who cant buy that weight, Im sure the standard 15/40 is fine.

Originally Posted By: JTK
My ~17yr/old Honda GCV 160 has had 15w40 for the past 10yrs. Prior to that it saw 5w or 10w30. Which ever I had on hand. I don't think I've changed it's oil in 5yrs.
eek.gif

+1

Five year OCI's on a Honda GCV160 and it will probably outlive me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back