CHEVRON DELO Reveals their line up of CK-4/FA-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Powerstroke. I'm bummed out because I had to skip the truck show in Dallas and missed out on talking to the oil guys in person. Now that the show is done...I'm in town.

That is great to see the upcoming Delo products. I noticed that the 15W30 isn't mentioned and since they haven't been promoting it for some time, it's no surprise. The bottles on the store shelves are covered in dust.

It sounds like the FA-4 10W30 offers a huge improvement in fuel economy compared to the CJ-4 version. I wonder if Detroit Diesel will eventually give the "ok" to use FA-4 oil in my '16 model.

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
Is this a synthetic grade 30, without VII like that boutique? If yes, Sounds interesting!

The Delo SD 15W30 is conventional oil. I lose track of time easily but I believe it was about two years ago now that it was introduced. I was very anxious to try it and Chevron was offering a bunch of free uoa's to people who bought it.

Unfortunately, by the time it finally got onto the truckstop shelves, the free uoa offer was over and my interest had waned. It (15W30) never did get any traction in the trucking industry. It wasn't meant for long drain oci's.

Quote:
According to Chevron, the new Delo 400 product line offers optimized performance and better engine protection than any prior Delo product. The new Delo 400 product line will be available in a variety of viscosities and will support both API CK-4 and FA-4 HDMO categories:
Delo 400 XSP SAE 5W-30 – Full synthetic meeting API CK-4
Delo 400 XSP SAE 5W-40 – Full synthetic meeting API CK-4
Delo 400 XLE SAE 10W-30 – Synthetic blend meeting API CK-4
Delo 400 XLE SAE 15W-40 – Synthetic blend meeting API CK-4
Delo 400 SDE SAE 15W-40 – Premium base oil meeting API CK-4
Delo 400 ZFA SAE 10W-30 – Synthetic blend meeting API FA-4

So Far Shell has been the only one to confirm that they will have a universal oil (meeting both CK-4 and SN). Because the phosphorus limit exemption that were previously allowed under SN for CJ-4 oils, the only way that a CK-4 or FA-4 oil can claim SN is if it has less than 800ppm phos. This requires a more complex and more expensive formula.

I believe that more dual-rated CK-4 products will come eventually - but it appears for now that most of the majors are focusing on the diesel category.

they wouldn't want to lose that "mixed fleet" market segment I suppose... but who knows.

If they remove that phosphorus exemption, and Shell finds the way around it, then I'd think other can do the same.

If you go to chevrons website and look at the "Isosyn Advanced" page it shows the new product containers. All of them are dual rated if you read the labels. Ck4/sn and fa4/sn.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
If you go to chevrons website and look at the "Isosyn Advanced" page it shows the new product containers. All of them are dual rated if you read the labels. Ck4/sn and fa4/sn.

thanks, see it now. Everything is */SN. I probably am going to continue using 10w30 HDEO in my cars (without /SN I would rather refrain). Especially if the price will (continue to) be right.

Last edited:
1470779901249.png
1472063432164.png

NICE!!

So I was wrong before. This makes Delo a cut above the rest in my books. Like I said originally the universal oil with new additives that allow for the low phosphorus formulas are more advanced. Maybe overkill for some truckers but nice to see them be on top of this. I also know that Chevron has a close relationship with Paaccar so KW's and Pete's will probably see these oils as their factory fill.

I also love the color coding on the labels/bottle lids - but I am a sucker for good packaging design.

So Shell Rotella has put out some Universal, some CK-4 only... I wonder what Delvac and Duron will do.

Originally Posted By: Solarent
I also love the color coding on the labels/bottle lids - but I am a sucker for good packaging design.

So Shell Rotella has put out some Universal, some CK-4 only... I wonder what Delvac and Duron will do.

The packaging is pretty smart. As for Delvac, at least, it should be a no brainer for Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 being CK-4/SN, at the very least, given it already meets the low phosphorus requirements. Oddly enough, the Castrol equivalent was not dual rated in North America. I wonder if that will change.

Agreed on Delvac. Hopefully they have more universal options than 5W30 too.

I'm a little disappointed that PC/Duron hasn't announced anything yet. They are usually right out in front of everyone and despite saying they would be "one of the first" it looks like they will be behind. Maybe they are distracted by the "auction" of their business.

They also make the statement on their website that they won't be recommending their product for use in gasoline engines. "especially with respect to catalytic converters" is what they say. Sounds to me like they won't have universal oils - so Delo comes out on top in that regard. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Hasn't Shell made the same statement wrt to cats - (so called HDEO's say diesel on the bottle)
Is T6 the only one they consider "mixed fleet" ?

Agreed on Delvac. Hopefully they have more universal options than 5W30 too.

I should hope so, too, though it does appear that Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 is basically their flagship product, with the most builder approvals, not to mention a marketing tie-in with McLaren F1

They also make the statement on their website that they won't be recommending their product for use in gasoline engines. "especially with respect to catalytic converters" is what they say. Sounds to me like they won't have universal oils - so Delo comes out on top in that regard. I guess we will have to wait and see.

I guess we will have to wait and see, but I can't see PC being too far behind off the mark. Their sales model might mean a little different way of marketing and announcing things, for all I know. I don't know how much is done straight through the distributors. Imperial Oil seems to be pretty good at getting information out to the distributors in the form of literature that isn't always available on the web, oddly enough. As for the dual rating bit, we've all seen my arguments here with Shell people, how they dislike their HDEOs being used in a gasser, despite the SM rating, even if the vehicle actually simply calls for an SM 5w-40, like we have seen in the PCMO section. If Shell quit hiding their A3/B4 options at expensive dealerships and didn't see the need to use their retail shelf allocation for a dozen different varieties of ILSAC 5w-30, then fewer people might be looking for Rotella for gassers, but I digress.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Is T6 the only one they consider "mixed fleet" ?

As far as I know, they're all dual rated. As I've said to their representatives here, if you really don't want them used in a gasser, get rid of the gas rating. The formulators and the API obviously agree that these products have at least some use in gasoline engines, despite what the marketing people prefer.

Originally Posted By: Garak
As for the dual rating bit, we've all seen my arguments here with Shell people, how they dislike their HDEOs being used in a gasser, despite the SM rating, even if the vehicle actually simply calls for an SM 5w-40, like we have seen in the PCMO section.

I guess they have mixed motivation.
They want to offer a universal product for "mixed fleet" users.
But, they don't want their premium PCMO synthetic sales to be impacted by "poor man's synthetic" being recognized as such a bit too widely...

Rotella 5w-40 was always an attractive option for Euro vehicles when M1 0w-40 was only available in one quart bottles and GC was the only other alternative, also in the quart bottles. Now, with Castrol 0w-40 and M1 0w-40 available in jugs and at good prices on sale on both sides of the border, it's lost some of that attraction, and in my neck of the woods, Delvac 1 hammers Rotella on pricing. Nonetheless, Shell would be well served to ensure that their A3/B4 options are more readily available on shelves. The Rotella is all over, and I don't need 8 varieties of SN/GF-5 5w-30 SOPUS products all on one shelf, with zero A3/B4 options.

Originally Posted By: solarent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back