iPhone Touch Disease

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like Apple has a significant issue on their hands with failing iPhones. Ouch.

iPhone Touch Disease

Originally Posted By: From Article
A week ago, we published a story about a problem surfacing with the Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) iPhone 6 lineup, especially the iPhone 6 Plus. So-called “Touch Disease” was rendering Apple’s first generation of larger smartphone useless and the company had no fix. Now reports say Touch Disease occurrences are surging to the point where it is the single biggest iPhone issue that Apple Stores have to deal with.

According to MacInsider, between Aug. 23-25, Apple technicians were diagnosing Touch Disease at an alarming pace. In the four stores where the data was collected, 11.7% of iPhone 6 owners who had brought their device in for service were suffering from Touch Disease. A whopping 37.4% of iPhone 6 Plus owners faced a Touch Disease diagnosis. That’s 409 iPhone 6 Plus smartphones in three days at just four Apple Stores. And there are 288 Apple Stores in the U.S. alone.

By the way, Touch Disease means the end of the iPhone; it eventually renders the device unusable and is not repairable.

When the CEO felt the need to interject himself into state politics, other than California, I felt the need to resolve never to buy another one of their products.

So the phones are junk? Too bad, so sad. Class action time.

Last edited:
Wish I could talk my wife out of getting an iPhone. All of her friends are telling her how great they are.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I just talked my Wife out of a new Iphone and into an Android.

Other articles on this say the 6 and 6s are unaffected, only the plus models. We all have 6s on my account and I haven't seen the problem.

Originally Posted By: Samuraidog
Wish I could talk my wife out of getting an iPhone. All of her friends are telling her how great they are.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I just talked my Wife out of a new Iphone and into an Android.

I did the Android Debacle twice. It wasn't good then and it still isn't good now. It's like Windows- serviceable but garbage.

That being said, I wonder where these stats are coming from? Apple sure doesn't release #'s from their stores. 11-34% of how many phones? 10? 100? 1000? Different defect rates at every one of those levels.

And I've got a 6+ and no issues now after over a year and I'm not easy on it either. I'll keep buying them as they work great, have great support and are better than the option.

Last edited:
The only Android phone worth buying for the long term is a Nexus. Monthly security patches and clean interface. I just got Android 7.0 Nouget tonight. It will probably be months before the Samsung Galaxies get it.

That said, iPhones seem to be failing at a higher rate than they use to. Lots of app crashes too. I can't see myself getting an iPhone anytime soon.

So a chip is coming off the motherboard causing this...

So any further refurbished models can have those surface mount chips resoldered if a statistically significant problem.

Since only four stores were queried for the article, it's not clear what the statistics actually are...

Sounds more like someone is short on AAPL, and is using some sensationalism to help make the case.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
That said, iPhones seem to be failing at a higher rate than they use to. Lots of app crashes too. I can't see myself getting an iPhone anytime soon.

No more failures here than usual (0) and very few app crashes on iOS for us too. Android was/is a nightmare for me and really not that good.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

No more failures here than usual (0) and very few app crashes on iOS for us too. Android was/is a nightmare for me and really not that good.

I don't know what to tell you itguy. There is a spate of articles talking about iOS crash rates and decreasing iOS reliability. Here is one example.
apple vs android

That is quite something when you consider that Apple sells basically two high end phones whereas Android devices includes a bunch of cheap chinese phones with [censored] specs. I'd put a Nexus against an iPhone any day toe to toe.

I don't know what to tell you itguy. There is a spate of articles talking about iOS crash rates and decreasing iOS reliability. Here is one example.
apple vs android

That is quite something when you consider that Apple sells basically two high end phones whereas Android devices includes a bunch of cheap chinese phones with [censored] specs. I'd put a Nexus against an iPhone any day toe to toe.

Again, how are these "stats" collected? Cause I doubt most phone owners are installing programs to track their usage. And most reports, including the linked article, are quite vague. Apple and Google get crash reports and so, I believe, do devs and none of them are talking.

I had 2 "high end" Androids, a 2010 Droid X and a 2014 Galaxy S5. Both were nightmares from a reliability perspective.

apple vs android

Again, how are these "stats" collected? Cause I doubt most phone owners are installing programs to track their usage. And most reports, including the linked article, are quite vague. Apple and Google get crash reports and so, I believe, do devs and none of them are talking.

I had 2 "high end" Androids, a 2010 Droid X and a 2014 Galaxy S5. Both were nightmares from a reliability perspective.

The data was collected by the same group (Blanco Technology) that Cult of Mac was happy to cite when it showed iOS being far more stable than Android late last year.

I have an Android phone, it's been great. I also drive a Chrysler that has had no problems and I'm typing this on Dell that works great! Did your head just explode?
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back