New Hyundia Santa Cruz pickup with extendable bed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Instead of Colorado or Tacoma ?

This Santa Cruz would more readily compare to the Honda Ridgeline, with its unibody construction. The old Chevy El Camino, Ford Ranchero, and Dodge Rampage designs probably inspired Hyundai too.

Notice I compared it to a CUV - since I understand unibody vs body on frame.
I also don't see much on the road that are not 4 door pickups from a sales perspective ...
IMO, a fun to drive - yet more capable truck already exists in several flavors - called the "Regular Cab 4x4"

I like the idea. A small truck, like my old '85 S-10. It used the heck out of it!

My complaint would be I want it less refined, and less money...
smile.gif

IMO, a fun to drive - yet more capable truck already exists in several flavors - called the "Regular Cab 4x4"

I wonder what the difference in length--and thus ease of parking--between this ute and a RCLB truck is.

I've been daily driving my truck for over a year now, and I'm slowly starting to go... bonkers. My Camry is vastly more fun than it--a Camry! IMO you're nuts. Late model full sized trucks are huge tippy heavy plodding creatures that need 4WD to prevent getting stuck when the weather turns mild. Oh they can rocket--in a straight line. They need to, in order to have decent performance when loaded. But fun?
crazy2.gif

IMO is a point of view - go buy one of these when they come out and we will see if you are serious or just passing time on the keys - I spend lots of time off road and have for 30 years - I'll learn nothing from you on what a 4x4 can do.
PS - parking lots are big where I live ...but I'm one of the few with a smaller truck.

IMO is a point of view - go buy one of these when they come out and we will see if you are serious or just passing time on the keys

Umm, why would I buy one? Why must I buy one in order to not hate one? I don't understand.

It's an interesting vehicle, but it doesn't serve my needs. All 2 door cars don't serve my needs either--but I don't go about dissing every Camaro, Charger et al on the basis of being "useless". A two door truck does not serve my needs yet I won't make fun of one.

Quote:
- I spend lots of time off road and have for 30 years - I'll learn nothing from you on what a 4x4 can do.

I appear to have made you mad for some reason.
21.gif
I have no need for offroad capability. Only 12+ inches of snow on occasion. I see you are in Texas--shall I make cracks about your ability to drive in snow and ice and cold?

Quote:
PS - parking lots are big where I live ...but I'm one of the few with a smaller truck.

Parking lots are huge here, but the slots are sometimes tiny. Plenty of suburbanites with smaller garages yet a yard they want to tend might like this.

Actually you could make comments about snow - but having lived/worked in northern parts of NA - Russia, Romania, and so on - I do alright ...
I think you know what comment I did not like ...
Take care ...

Last edited:
I guess I have to apologize then. For some reason every truck discussion devolves into some sort of measuring test; and I find it necessary to defend niche vehicles as being suitable for some audience.

Sorry.

No worries - folks indeed buy things that are fun and not practical (my boss and his Super Snake comes to mind) ...
Vehicles tend to get analyzed to the square root - and the word "best" by these magazines?
Thanks ...

Where I live, This thing would suit about 75% of the people who own full size trucks as it seems to me most of them drive them to church or the grocery store. It doesnt seem to be advertised as a "Truck" but rather a open bed SUV and that could very well have its following.

In the 4 years my neighbour has had his Gigantic Silverado I never seen him take the bed cover off. This might be a better choice for that trip to home depot for some french lavender plants......

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
People don't buy trucks for utility, they buy them to boast that they can afford the ridiculous price and the high fuel costs. This vehicle will probably get good mileage and not cost very much, so it misses the mark completely.

Wow you must be a real treat to be around.....

People don't buy trucks for utility, they buy them to boast that they can afford the ridiculous price and the high fuel costs. This vehicle will probably get good mileage and not cost very much, so it misses the mark completely.

Can you afford a pickup and the associated operating costs? Just asking!

Bigotry remains alive and well. How folks can be so high and mighty amazes me.

For many folks a full size 4 door pickup is a fantastic, versatile vehicle that smoothly segues from work to play, and then provides utility as well.

While I do not know this poster I imagine they are a bit financially challenged...

I think it could sell here in Europe... not to those buying pick-ups for their work that need the bed, but it could persuade the others who just want higher seating and lower taxes than a passenger car.

Actually, I'd be interested. I don't need a $50K+ giant truck that I can't even fit in my garage, and even the Colorado and Canyon twins are bigger than I really "need".

Like said, this is nothing new. Subaru, Volkswagen, Dodge, etc, all had FWD or 4x4 versions of this type of vehicle years ago. I think it's great, especially if it will seat 5 people. If it's a 2-seater, forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back