Jury Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Go ahead and ignore it. It will be fun hearing your attorney tiring to defend you to a jury of YOUR peers. :))

A jury of HIS peers won't show up
crackmeup2.gif

You indeed sound like an angry, annoyed nerd. Just a few points....
1) +1 on all the civic duty/responsibility stuff
2) Don't think they can't act insulted just because the post card wasn't sent registered mail.
....I've personally heard judges rip people for ignoring mailed notices.
....Grow up. Knowing where you are and listing those to whom any notice has been mailed is only the beginning of their capabilities.
....You want to get to know their arsenal of tools to compel you into action THE HARD WAY?
3) "You stupid or somethin'?" You do seem automatically belligerent (see #1 above).

INSPIRATIONAL ANECDOTE: I served on a Grand Jury a couple of Summers ago. Over 8 Fridays we must have heard evidence on 60 to 65 cases.
Once, in a case involving 2 guys having a fistfight, I did not agree that "endangering a child" was involved.
I asked to discuss it (as we were told we could). The officials in charge made "Ha-Roomphy" noises at my request but put my request TO A VOTE.
No one wanted to discuss it. The vote to hear my objections was 22-1 as was the vote to hand up an indictment.

It showed me how lazy these people were. I should've said "I only want a minute of your time".
It left a bad taste in my mouth. There was no facilitation to talk about the case as we were told.

I'd jump at the next chance to serve. Kira

Well, I accidentally entered the wrong date in my phone calendar for local jury selection. It was very embarrassing when I received a phone call from the court at 9:05 am the day of wanting to know where I was. There were about 30-40 potential jurors along with the Judge waiting for me when I got there at 9:20. As I ran through the court room doors, everybody turned their heads and the Judge said, "Mr. Martin, it's so nice for you to join us. We've been waiting on you."

To which I replied, "Please forgive me. I apologize to the Court and all the potential jurors." It was one of the most humbling experiences of my life.

Yea, I'd probably go. They'll have a roll call and be listening for you to say, "Here!"

Here in Jackson County we get a card like that. It has your jury number they know who they sent it to.
You may get lucky when you call in, they may have the jury pool already. That happened to me earlier this year. The recording said jury numbers x-z were no longer needed.
Other wise if you dont show up a bench warrant will be issued.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Get off his back. Not everyone feels an extreme amount of Nationalism and Patriotism to WANT to go to jury duty lmao.

OP it would not be wise to skip court. Sometimes you luck out and are not even selected. Bite the bullet and get it over with.

I doubt that anyone really "wants" to do jury duty, but its part of your obligation as an American citizen, "patriotic" or not (whatever that means).

The problem I have is they want to send me to a court 200+ miles away 1 way! No way I can afford to drive 400+ miles a day in anything I own only to be compensated $10. Plus we would be out of business till I was back as I am the only employee

If they sent me somewhere closer I would happily serve

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
The problem I have is they want to send me to a court 200+ miles away 1 way! No way I can afford to drive 400+ miles a day in anything I own only to be compensated $10. Plus we would be out of business till I was back as I am the only employee

You can often claim hardship in a case like this, and they will excuse you from a situation like that and place you in a jury pool that is less of a hardship on you. Really, while nobody likes this, generally they are reasonable and aren't out to punish you or make things hard for you, financially or otherwise. I got selected right after I had a serious knee injury and was immobile. I contacted the jurisdiction with proof of my temporary disability and was excused. I later served on another jury after I had healed.

Back in the 1990s I was summoned for jury duty in 2 to 4 weeks, I don't recall the exact timeline, but it was short notice as I traveled for work and was scheduled. I called and explained I'd be happy to serve if I got more notice, say 90 days, so, we could ensure I wasn't scheduled to be in another city. The clerk said put it in a letter and send it back. I did and they worked with me to schedule me for three months out.

When my time came, I was there the first day and sent home, never to be called again.

Originally Posted By: dlayman

You can often claim hardship in a case like this, and they will excuse you from a situation like that and place you in a jury pool that is less of a hardship on you. Really, while nobody likes this, generally they are reasonable and aren't out to punish you or make things hard for you, financially or otherwise. I got selected right after I had a serious knee injury and was immobile. I contacted the jurisdiction with proof of my temporary disability and was excused. I later served on another jury after I had healed.
I keep doing that and they send me a new one. Always needles ca! My mom gets called to indio ca! Guess the y can't find enough non felons to serve there.

Well, I accidentally entered the wrong date in my phone calendar for local jury selection. It was very embarrassing when I received a phone call from the court at 9:05 am the day of wanting to know where I was. There were about 30-40 potential jurors along with the Judge waiting for me when I got there at 9:20. As I ran through the court room doors, everybody turned their heads and the Judge said, "Mr. Martin, it's so nice for you to join us. We've been waiting on you."

To which I replied, "Please forgive me. I apologize to the Court and all the potential jurors." It was one of the most humbling experiences of my life.

Yea, I'd probably go. They'll have a roll call and be listening for you to say, "Here!"

You received a summons.

You are legally obligated to report for jury duty.

Your political feelings, your convenience, your laziness, whatever, have absolutely no bearing on your legal obligation to report.

Originally Posted By: dlayman

I keep doing that and they send me a new one. Always needles ca! My mom gets called to indio ca! Guess the y can't find enough non felons to serve there.

In that case, I would simply keep requesting a hardship deferral, it seems legitimate in your case. As far as I know, there are no limitations as to how often you can do this. A phone call to whatever agency handles this to explain specifically the problem might be more effective in getting you reassigned to something more manageable. Or at some point, you might have to bite the bullet and take a day and do it, maybe take a bus to save money. Plenty of people don't get selected and are excused (there are ways to almost make that happen by how you answer specific questions, although I wouldn't consider that ethical.

Normally its a questionnaire followed a few weeks latter by a summons. In NY.

In NY you can call up the night before to see if your number is needed.

It's your obligation under the US justice system to participate. Chances are you will not be picked for a jury.

There are worse, being Federal jury duty. Or grand jury, or the worst being Federal grand jury.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Well, now that you've publically acknowledged receipt, ignoring this summons might not be the best idea.
In any jurisdiction I've ever heard of, if you had simply trashed the card you would never have heard another thing about it.
Still, your jurisdiction may feel the need to make an example of someone and you've just provided a good candidate for that.

Here in Georgia if you fail to show up..you will get another letter and if you ignore that one..you may get a LEO visit.

If they cannot find you at your address or you ignore the letters, your name may be stricken from the voting register..that is how they found you in the first place..and you may get a bill/fine from the court.

Once you are finally compelled to show up for jury duty..plan on spending some time in the jury pool..they will make your life miserable.

I am at the point where I will do whatever is needed to get out of jury duty. After my mother's 18-month saga...no way.

Worst case, I will bring something to read...like, say,Mein Kampf.

Jury duty is a serious responsibility. It shouldn't be taken lightly.It is easy to get out of jury duty if you pay attention to the interviews.

It's called duty for a reason. The courts look down on anyone skipping duty and you will have to face a judge to find out why you weren't there. It's usually a fine imposed by the judge but could be jail. I have had 3 jury duties in the last seven years, 2 county and one federal. It's really no big deal. They don't pay much but the court people bend over backwards to be nice to you. The way they like to hit me up I expect to be called again soon.

since you live in the same area as nick -- get a bubble wrap envelop, and send the notice back, along with a dozen of nick's i.p. cookies. problem solved.
almost all replies state that you should do your duty.food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back