Jury Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I received a cheesy post card summoning me for jury duty. I have no interest in participating unless it is a trial to send Joe Arpaio to jail. Unless I visit the website or call the number on the card, there is no proof I received it. I'm thinking ignore it until they send another?

20160828_223203 by dish dude, on Flickr

Do you like being served a bench warrant?

Would you want to be judged by only those who don't find a way out of jury duty?

I feel its my civic duty to go and serve if necessry. i don't even cash the check.

Jury duty is an opportunity to see that justice is served. I am not talking the " just us " the rich and connected get but real justice. A few years ago a local cop was tried for a having an inappropriate relationship with an underage female while on duty. I knew the cop personally and could not believe the guy did anything, since he was a straight arrow. A slimy local prosecutor pressed forward with the case, probably hoping to add a cop to his list of "kills". The result? The case fell apart from day one, with the defense proving every charge was a blatent lie. The cop was found not guilty. Imagine if you could prevent a completely innocent person from being railroaded by a corrupt prosecutor. Would that make you feel good? There is little justice in the so called justice system and the local prosecutor may be a slimy crook who just wants to convict some random person regardless of guilt.

I would also suggest you not ignore it. I think there are quite a few ways to get out of it. I would read the card and call.

To be honest though, I've only been summoned for jury duty once and I was never more excited to perform my civic duty. I was never called in for the trial since they settled out of court, but I felt good about it.

Good luck!

It sounds like you enjoy the privileges of living in our society, but are unwilling to accept the responsibilities.

If you're not a millennial, you sure have embraced the lifestyle. Well done.

Well, now that you've publically acknowledged receipt, ignoring this summons might not be the best idea.
In any jurisdiction I've ever heard of, if you had simply trashed the card you would never have heard another thing about it.
Still, your jurisdiction may feel the need to make an example of someone and you've just provided a good candidate for that.

Unless you get them every 2 years on the dot just go and get it done with. I'm about to ignore one and see what happens. My wife gets one the opposite year.. random my wazzo!

I assume that you'll also be abstaining from the the vote, garbage collection, police/fire services, et cetera?

Get off his back. Not everyone feels an extreme amount of Nationalism and Patriotism to WANT to go to jury duty lmao.

OP it would not be wise to skip court. Sometimes you luck out and are not even selected. Bite the bullet and get it over with.

Last edited:
Man up and go, you'll save yourself a lot of grief. Odds are during the jury selection process after they question you, and based on your above comments you'll be dismissed for another 6 years. I recently served, it wasn't bad at all.

If you cannot legitimately serve it because of work, vacation plans, health or the care of someone, call the court and tell them. They will excuse you from jury duty.

If you don't get told they have enough jurors and sent back home, they'll pull you in for voir dire and ask you questions. One of the common questions is about jury nullification. All you have to do is tell them you're a proponent of nullification and the prosecutor will strike you from the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back