Mercon LV or MaxLife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Figured with my preceeding post it would be appropriate to bring this topic bakc up for discussion. I have a gallon jug of Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc which specifically lists Mercon LV on the back, was going to use it while doing the clutch in the Mustang but for some reason that just keeps on working well. Might just as well use it up if I can. Here is an older thread about the topic, but a couple years have past. Looks like the discussion kinda left off with "I trust valvoline but it doesn't make a ton of sense. Maybe the mercon sheered more and ended up at the same viscosity?"

Here is the spec sheet on Maxlife: http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf
Mercon LV spec sheet: https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.c...MERCON%20LV.pdf

Mercon Lv vs. MaxLife
cSt @ 100C is 6.0 vs 5.91
cSt @ 40C is 29.6 vs 28.82
VI is 155 vs 156
Flash point 216C vs 202C
Specific Gravity @ 60C 0.842 vs 0.843

Clearly the basic specs are compatible. The question is, is the MaxLife as good a actual Mercon LV in the real world? I will be doing ATF drain and fills with my engine oil at least a couple times, and I don't need to take two steps forward just to take one step back with fluid choice.

The T5 never spec'd LV. I always used Mobil 1 ATF in my 98 with a T-45. Will probably use the same in my 95 when I bust out the plastic and get a TKO-600RR.

Go to the dollar store and get some Peak Dex/Merc. Or go buy some syncromesh from GM.

Last edited:
Ah, well, I didn't spell that out very well. The Mustang is fine, clutch just keeps ticking along. Fluid would be going in '14 Explorer with 6F55. Also, that '96 has a T45 and according to Valvoline the Maxlife is still compatible but I digress.

So- topic is Maxlife or LV in a 6F55 ('14 Explorer).

Mercon LV. Use the real stuff. And anything that claims to be compat with both a 6F55 and a T-45 is full of [censored].

Personal experience with my 5R110 says that a licensed LV is better for shifting.

2 drain & fills with Maxlife gave a soft feel to the shifts. Last fill with Castrol LV gave it positive shifting again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back